|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to George Laister?
2. Who sails on The Mariposa?
3. What does Aldred's mother want to do with her time now?
4. What fills the bookshelves in the study at Aldred's parent's house?
5. What makes Peter realize he can never love Rita?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Peter become ill?
2. What is Peter's long-term prognosis by the doctor?
3. What presents do Aldred and Aurora give each other and why?
4. Why does Sidney think Helen and Aldred will never see each other again?
5. Why does Aldred think the idea of becoming a spy is an impossibility?
6. How can the farewell kiss on the ship between Peter and Audrey be described?
7. What makes Peter compare Rita with Audrey?
8. Why does Peter attempt suicide?
9. Why does Aldred believe he has survived all of his past obstacles?
10. How does Rita help Peter while he is in the hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are Helen and Benedict so happy when they deal with Benedict's disease every day? What makes them capable of having so much joy on a daily basis?
Essay Topic 2
How does culture affect Peter Exley throughout the novel? Use at least three examples of how it affects his life, his relationships and his actions.
Essay Topic 3
Aldred eventually is able to find his way home and make his home a place he wants to be permanently. What helps him make the leap from being a man without a true home to a man who longs for nothing but permanency?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)