|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Besides from his travels and war involvement, why does Iris fear Aldred doesn't return home?
2. What does Peter attempt to do in the hospital?
3. What does Peter decide to do with the dying child?
4. Who is delivering a letter from Helen to Benedict in person?
5. How does Mrs. Fry know about Aldred?
Short Essay Questions
1. How can the farewell kiss on the ship between Peter and Audrey be described?
2. What do the Fry women think about Helen's love of Aldred?
3. Why does Aldred want to talk to Barry and Melba?
4. Why does Aldred think the idea of becoming a spy is an impossibility?
5. Why does Sidney think Helen and Aldred will never see each other again?
6. Why does Aldred feel the need to visit George Laister?
7. Why do the Fry women like Helen so much?
8. Why does Aldred believe he has survived all of his past obstacles?
9. What does Bertram suggest Aldred do to get the Driscoll parents to approve Helen's move to England?
10. How does Rita help Peter while he is in the hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Aldred deal with solitude? Is he really unaffected by his propensity for being alone or is he merely coping out of necessity?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Barry Driscoll with Benedict Driscoll. What makes them equally vital characters in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Peter and Aldred. What struggles and successes do they share? What actions make them different?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)