|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Barbara think the Fairfax boys don't talk to the local girls?
2. How does Aldred expect to die from in the past?
3. Who is given the Leith property in the will?
4. How many steps to the top of the Monument?
5. What does Helen believe New Zealand represents?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the crisis' that Aldred must deal with upon his return from Nagasaki?
2. How can the farewell kiss on the ship between Peter and Audrey be described?
3. What makes Peter compare Rita with Audrey?
4. What is Peter's long-term prognosis by the doctor?
5. What do the Fry women think about Helen's love of Aldred?
6. Why does Peter attempt suicide?
7. Why do the Fry women like Helen so much?
8. How does Peter become ill?
9. What does Bertram suggest Aldred do to get the Driscoll parents to approve Helen's move to England?
10. What presents do Aldred and Aurora give each other and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does Bertram play in the lives of Helen, Benedict and Aldred? What does he provide to each character?
Essay Topic 2
Aldred eventually is able to find his way home and make his home a place he wants to be permanently. What helps him make the leap from being a man without a true home to a man who longs for nothing but permanency?
Essay Topic 3
Why is it difficult for Aldred to transition between war and the death that comes from violence to peacetime and life without wartime death?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)