|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Aldred run into at the hospital?
2. What job is Aldred offered by Calder?
3. Who does Aurora meet in Kenya?
4. What news does the cable that comes for Aldred bring?
5. Who is given the Leith property in the will?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Aldred think the idea of becoming a spy is an impossibility?
2. Why does Aldred feel the need to visit George Laister?
3. How can the farewell kiss on the ship between Peter and Audrey be described?
4. Why does Aldred turn down Calder's offer to work as a spy?
5. What is Peter's long-term prognosis by the doctor?
6. How does Rita help Peter while he is in the hospital?
7. Why do the Fry women like Helen so much?
8. Why doesn't Rita want to help Peter with the dying child?
9. What are the crisis' that Aldred must deal with upon his return from Nagasaki?
10. Why does Aldred believe he has survived all of his past obstacles?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Helen's transformation from a girl to a woman throughout the book. Describe her on the day Aldred first sees her. Describe her on the day he wakes her from sleeping on the front porch. What changes? Why does she change? Use examples.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Barry Driscoll with Benedict Driscoll. What makes them equally vital characters in the book?
Essay Topic 3
How does culture affect Peter Exley throughout the novel? Use at least three examples of how it affects his life, his relationships and his actions.
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)