|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why isn't Benedict engaged in the Japanese language lessons?
2. What does the American doctor send Benedict?
3. How is Aldred traveling in Japan?
4. Who owns the dented tin box with "WAR GRAVES COMMISSION" engraved on it?
5. Who are Raimonda and Gigliola?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Aldred mind being alone?
2. Why does it take all day for Aldred to reflect and appreciate his good fortune for not being on the plane that crashed?
3. Why does Aldred ask his father for money when he returns from his Easter trip to Florence?
4. Why does Aldred value the letters Peter has waiting for him iin Hong Kong so much?
5. How does Aldred meet Aurora?
6. Why does Aldred want to walk alone, without Peter?
7. Why might Aldred be jealous of Tad?
8. Why do the women from Peter's office take him out?
9. Why does Helen cry when hearing the story about Raimonda and Gigliola?
10. What does Aldred interrupt when he goes for a walk, after writing letters on his first night at the Driscoll's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do the Fry women bring to the story? Is their role a vital one? Why or why not? How do they influence both Helen and Aldred? Use examples.
Essay Topic 2
How are Helen and Benedict so happy when they deal with Benedict's disease every day? What makes them capable of having so much joy on a daily basis?
Essay Topic 3
What role does Bertram play in the lives of Helen, Benedict and Aldred? What does he provide to each character?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)