|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What country is Brigadier Driscoll from?
2. Where do the Driscoll siblings start their journey East alone?
3. How long is Gardiner in prison?
4. How is Aldred traveling in Japan?
5. What can't Oliver Leith live without?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Professor Gardiner in prison during the war?
2. Why is Aldred equally happy and sad to be around Helen?
3. Why does Aldred ask his father for money when he returns from his Easter trip to Florence?
4. Why does Benedict admire Helen for ditching him in Marseilles?
5. Why does Peter's purchases as a youth embarrass his parents?
6. Why might Aldred be jealous of Tad?
7. What do Peter Exley and Hendriks talk about on the ship?
8. Why does Aldred think Gardiner is still around him?
9. Why is Peter upset that Aldred found him a new place to live?
10. Why does it take all day for Aldred to reflect and appreciate his good fortune for not being on the plane that crashed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is it difficult for Aldred to transition between war and the death that comes from violence to peacetime and life without wartime death?
Essay Topic 2
How is death used throughout the book? What does it prompt? What does it cause? Who does it affect? Use examples from the novel to discuss how death affects the plot and the characters.
Essay Topic 3
Who are the healers of the book? Who heals and how do they heal? Discuss the idea of healing by using examples and at least three characters.
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)