|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Aldred experiencing for the first time in many years when he returns to the compound?
2. What is Peter's first love?
3. Where is Peter's new house?
4. What do thoughts of Aurora make Leith believe about himself?
5. Who is Bertram Perowne?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Aldred think Gardiner is still around him?
2. How does Aldred come to know Raimonda and Gigliola?
3. What does Aldred interrupt when he goes for a walk, after writing letters on his first night at the Driscoll's?
4. Why is Peter upset that Aldred found him a new place to live?
5. Why does Aldred value the letters Peter has waiting for him iin Hong Kong so much?
6. What role does Gardiner play in Chapter Two?
7. Why doesn't Aldred mind being alone?
8. What do Benedict and Helen fear will happen while Aldred is away on his two month journey away from Kure?
9. Where is Aldred Leith and what is he doing?
10. How does Aldred describe Helen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the women and the role they play in Aldred's life. Choose at least three women in the book and discuss the influence they have over Aldred and the actions he takes because of each woman.
Essay Topic 2
What do the Fry women bring to the story? Is their role a vital one? Why or why not? How do they influence both Helen and Aldred? Use examples.
Essay Topic 3
Aldred eventually is able to find his way home and make his home a place he wants to be permanently. What helps him make the leap from being a man without a true home to a man who longs for nothing but permanency?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)