|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sport is played near Peter Exley's office?
2. What is Benedict's affliction?
3. Who comes to talk to Aldred while he is writing his report?
4. Who are Raimonda and Gigliola?
5. The affair with Aurora ends when Aldred goes to study in what country?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Peter upset that Aldred found him a new place to live?
2. Why doesn''t the affair between Aldred and Aurora last?
3. Why is Aldred touring Hiroshima?
4. Why do the women from Peter's office take him out?
5. Why does Aldred want to walk alone, without Peter?
6. As Benedict's health worsens, what is his greatest desire?
7. Why don't the Driscoll siblings ask Aldred about his war experiences?
8. How does Aldred describe Helen?
9. Why does Aldred think Gardiner is still around him?
10. What do Benedict and Helen fear will happen while Aldred is away on his two month journey away from Kure?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Barry Driscoll with Benedict Driscoll. What makes them equally vital characters in the book?
Essay Topic 2
How is death used throughout the book? What does it prompt? What does it cause? Who does it affect? Use examples from the novel to discuss how death affects the plot and the characters.
Essay Topic 3
Aldred, Peter and Helen each deal with loneliness. How does it affect them differently? What do they have in common when being affected by loneliness? What does loneliness prompt each character to do?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)