|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What city is Aldred staying in when he makes the deal to travel to China?
2. How does Ginger describe the mornings in Kure?
3. How long is Gardiner in prison?
4. Who is Audrey Fellows?
5. Who does Leith go to the ballet with in the 1930s?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Exley living with Roy Rysom?
2. How does Aldred describe Helen?
3. What do Peter Exley and Hendriks talk about on the ship?
4. Why doesn''t the affair between Aldred and Aurora last?
5. What do Benedict and Helen fear will happen while Aldred is away on his two month journey away from Kure?
6. What role does Gardiner play in Chapter Two?
7. Why does Aldred ask his father for money when he returns from his Easter trip to Florence?
8. Why doesn't Aldred want to interview Helen and Benedict about the suicide?
9. Why don't the Driscoll siblings ask Aldred about his war experiences?
10. Why is Talbot afraid to take Japanese language lessons with Aldred?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the women and the role they play in Aldred's life. Choose at least three women in the book and discuss the influence they have over Aldred and the actions he takes because of each woman.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Peter and Aldred. What struggles and successes do they share? What actions make them different?
Essay Topic 3
Aldred eventually is able to find his way home and make his home a place he wants to be permanently. What helps him make the leap from being a man without a true home to a man who longs for nothing but permanency?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)