|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word has Aldred NOT used to Helen yet?
2. What fills the bookshelves in the study at Aldred's parent's house?
(a) Books Aldred read as a youth.
(b) Books Aldred read during the war.
(c) Books written by Aldred.
(d) Books written by Oliver.
3. What does Mrs. Fry want Helen to write Aldred?
(a) "I am sorry."
(b) "I am in love."
(c) "I am coming."
(d) "I am lonely."
4. What courses are Helen's parents forcing her to take?
5. What does Peter write to Aldred about his feelings of Hong Kong?
(a) He would rather be anywhere but there.
(b) He hates the winters.
(c) There is nowhere he would rather be.
(d) He loves the winters.
Short Answer Questions
1. What about Benedict seems to improve, even as his health fails?
2. Besides from his travels and war involvement, why does Iris fear Aldred doesn't return home?
3. Who does Aldred dine with the evening of his return to England?
4. Who invites Helen to Lowry Bay?
5. Why doesn't anyone compliment Helen's green coat in New Zealand?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Peter become ill?
2. Why does Peter attempt suicide?
3. Why do the Fry women like Helen so much?
4. Why does Aldred want to talk to Barry and Melba?
5. Why does Aldred think the idea of becoming a spy is an impossibility?
6. What makes Peter compare Rita with Audrey?
7. Why is Peter so aware of his loneliness in Chapter 12?
8. Why does Aldred believe he has survived all of his past obstacles?
9. What is Peter's long-term prognosis by the doctor?
10. Why doesn't Rita want to help Peter with the dying child?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)