|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word has Aldred NOT used to Helen yet?
2. How has Aldred's attitude toward war change?
(a) He wants to return to being a solider.
(b) He becomes a pacifist.
(c) He wants to remember his war experiences more.
(d) He wants England to engage in the war.
3. What does Aldred's mother want to do with her time now?
4. What does Peter decide to do with the dying child?
(a) Beg Rita for translation help.
(b) Wait for an ambulance.
(c) Let her stay home with her parents.
(d) Take her to the hospital by taxi.
5. Why do they make an exception for Aldred and serve him lunch after closing?
(a) The receptionist sees his military ribbons.
(b) He asks the manager for an exception.
(c) His airport greeter insists.
(d) He tips the waiter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Peter want to marry Rita?
2. Why can't Peter take Rita to Australia?
3. What happens to Peter?
4. What fills the bookshelves in the study at Aldred's parent's house?
5. What gift is Aldred bestowed the night he returns to England?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Aurora planning on leaving England so soon after Aldred returns?
2. How does Peter become ill?
3. Why does Aldred believe he has survived all of his past obstacles?
4. What does Barbara think is the biggest reason as to why the Fairfax brothers don't talk to the local girls in New Zealand?
5. Why does Peter attempt suicide?
6. What do the Fry women think about Helen's love of Aldred?
7. What does Bertram suggest Aldred do to get the Driscoll parents to approve Helen's move to England?
8. What is Peter's long-term prognosis by the doctor?
9. Where does Aldred get the coat he and Helen are lying on in the grove?
10. Why does Aldred think the idea of becoming a spy is an impossibility?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)