|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Benedict think Helen changes?
(a) By having to take care of her more ill brother.
(b) By having to deal with her angry mother.
(c) By having another birthday while Aldred is away.
(d) By thinking of Aldred while he is away.
2. Helen writes Aldred about a poem written about what Italian city?
3. Who has a habit of crying while sleeping?
4. What does Benedict fear happens when Aldred leaves for Hong Kong?
(a) He fears Helen runs away.
(b) He fears Aldred does not return.
(c) He fears he dies.
(d) He fears Barry does not let Aldred return.
5. How old is Aldred in 1947?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the Portuguese typist?
2. Why does Aldred go to Tokyo the next day after returning from Hong Kong?
3. What is Peter Exley's job?
4. Who does Aldred invite to dinner to meet Peter?
5. What city is Aldred staying in when he makes the deal to travel to China?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Aldred want to interview Helen and Benedict about the suicide?
2. Why doesn''t the affair between Aldred and Aurora last?
3. Why is Talbot afraid to take Japanese language lessons with Aldred?
4. Why does Aldred want to walk alone, without Peter?
5. Why is Professor Gardiner in prison during the war?
6. How does Aldred get the job of studying China and Japan?
7. Why is Aldred touring Hiroshima?
8. Why does Benedict admire Helen for ditching him in Marseilles?
9. What impression of the Driscoll family does Aldred get upon meeting them?
10. Why is Exley living with Roy Rysom?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)