|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes Peter realize he can never love Rita?
(a) Her unwillingness to smile.
(b) Her unwillingness to help the child.
(c) Her laziness at work.
(d) Her unwillingness to marry him.
2. What does Helen believe New Zealand represents?
(a) The beginning of her adulthood.
(b) The end of her love of Aldred.
(c) The start of her adventures.
(d) The end of the earth.
3. What does Peter write to Aldred about his feelings of Hong Kong?
(a) There is nowhere he would rather be.
(b) He hates the winters.
(c) He loves the winters.
(d) He would rather be anywhere but there.
4. Why doesn't Peter want to marry Rita?
(a) He doesn't love her.
(b) She is too young for him.
(c) She is not kind enough.
(d) He is not serious enough.
5. What news does the cable that comes for Aldred bring?
(a) Benedict dies.
(b) Peter dies.
(c) His father dies.
(d) His mother dies.
6. What fills the bookshelves in the study at Aldred's parent's house?
(a) Books written by Aldred.
(b) Books Aldred read as a youth.
(c) Books Aldred read during the war.
(d) Books written by Oliver.
7. What job is Aldred offered by Calder?
(a) To be a spy.
(b) To be a poet.
(c) To be a military advisor.
(d) To be a Japanese studies professor.
8. What word has Aldred NOT used to Helen yet?
9. Who has Aldred's papers that are hiding under Benedict's bed?
10. Why does Bertram think Ben never returns from California?
(a) He falls in love with California.
(b) His illness appals his parents.
(c) He doesn't want to live with his parents again.
(d) He dies from his illness soon.
11. Who does Peter see at a fancy place, dancing and having a good time?
12. How has Aldred's attitude toward war change?
(a) He wants to return to being a solider.
(b) He wants England to engage in the war.
(c) He becomes a pacifist.
(d) He wants to remember his war experiences more.
13. Where is Brian Talbot going in six days?
(a) A new assignment in New Zealand.
(b) To Tokyo with Benedict.
(c) Home to Australia.
(d) Fighting in Korea.
14. Why does Helen coming running up to Aldred when he returns from Nagasaki?
(a) Benedict dies.
(b) She has a fight with Dench.
(c) She is happy to see Aldred return.
(d) She is distraught because they take Benedict away.
15. Where does Aldred take Helen on New Year's Day?
(a) To a temple.
(b) To a river.
(c) To a party.
(d) To a park.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Aldred want to help the Laister family?
2. Who is delivering a letter from Helen to Benedict in person?
3. What happens to Peter?
4. Who does Peter take to da Silva's wedding?
5. What does Peter decide to do with the dying child?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)