|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why can't Peter take Rita to Australia?
(a) She doesn't want to move.
(b) His family doesn't like her.
(c) The White Australia Policy.
(d) Her family doesn't allow her to leave China.
2. Besides from his travels and war involvement, why does Iris fear Aldred doesn't return home?
3. What gift is Aldred bestowed the night he returns to England?
(a) A diary.
(b) A train ticket.
(c) A novel.
(d) A photo.
4. What is the one thing Aurora wants to know about Aldred when they meet before she leaves for Kenya?
(a) If he still loves Aurora.
(b) If he has a woman in his life.
(c) If he ever loves Oliver.
(d) If he wants to go to Kenya with her.
5. Who does Peter know helps him with the dying child without question?
6. Why doesn't anyone compliment Helen's green coat in New Zealand?
(a) They think it's too flashy.
(b) She can't wash it.
(c) She never wears it.
(d) It is too tight.
7. Who are the Fairfax boys waiting for in New Zealand?
(c) Their brother.
(d) Their father.
8. What fills the bookshelves in the study at Aldred's parent's house?
(a) Books Aldred read during the war.
(b) Books Aldred read as a youth.
(c) Books written by Aldred.
(d) Books written by Oliver.
9. What does Peter's emergency force Aldred to do?
(a) Write Helen a letter.
(b) Sign up for the spy job.
(c) Go to New Zealand.
(d) Write Benedict a letter.
10. Who is delivering a letter from Helen to Benedict in person?
11. What courses are Helen's parents forcing her to take?
12. What does Peter write to Aldred about his feelings of Hong Kong?
(a) He would rather be anywhere but there.
(b) There is nowhere he would rather be.
(c) He hates the winters.
(d) He loves the winters.
13. What about Benedict seems to improve, even as his health fails?
(a) His mental capacities.
(b) His ability to sleep.
(c) His writing ability.
(d) His intuition.
14. What does Peter attempt to do in the hospital?
(a) Stop allowing vistors.
(b) Overdose on pills.
(c) Punch a doctor.
(d) Run away.
15. Who invites Helen to Lowry Bay?
(a) A girl from typing class.
(c) Miss Fry.
(d) A girl from French class.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Peter realize he can never love Rita?
2. What happens to Peter?
3. Who does Miss Fry live with?
4. What news does the cable that comes for Aldred bring?
5. Who is given the Leith property in the will?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)