|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Aldred going to do with the information he is collecting daily?
(a) Nothing, it's for his own information.
(b) Make new maps of China and Japan.
(c) Write a report for all armed services.
(d) Write a book to be published.
2. What do thoughts of Aurora make Leith believe about himself?
(a) That he has a substantial past.
(b) That he is old and lonely.
(c) That he needs to write a memoir.
(d) That he lives a boring life.
3. Who is Carroll?
(a) The Japanese language tutor.
(b) An American lieutenant in Hiroshima.
(c) The man responsible for setting off The Bomb.
(d) The British lieutenant in Hiroshima.
4. What is Peter's first love?
(a) Romance languages.
5. Why does Aldred spend two years walking across China?
(a) Because he wants to find Professor Gardiner.
(b) Because he is in the Chinese Army.
(c) Because he wants to.
(d) Because he escapes prison.
6. What does Aldred want to look for in town?
(a) Another job.
(b) A gift for Helen.
(c) Another room to stay.
(d) Transportation home.
7. Why doesn't Aldred's boat arrive on time?
(a) Because of a wreck.
(b) Because he misses the morning boat.
(c) Because of a storm.
(d) Because he stays longer in Hong Kong.
8. What country is Brigadier Driscoll from?
(b) The United States.
9. How long does it take the Signal Corps' wife to travel from Sydney to Kure?
(a) Five years.
(b) Five days.
(c) Five weeks.
(d) Five months.
10. How old is Aldred Leith when he meets Aurora?
11. What do Peter and Aldred carry in common?
(a) The same hats.
(b) The same maps.
(c) The same books.
(d) The same photos.
12. What is Aldred going to write about in the report?
(a) The trip to Kure.
(b) His need for another assignment.
(c) Ginger's death.
(d) The suicide.
13. Who judges Peter Exley to be a poor thing, but still marries him?
(d) Miss Xavier.
14. What Chinese town does Rysom warn Peter Exley about?
(a) Hong Kong.
(d) Ita Jima.
15. What does Peter Exley value above all others: the cathedral, the governor's villa, the post office or the bank?
(a) The post office.
(b) The bank.
(c) The cathedral.
(d) The governor's villa.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Benedict think Helen changes?
2. Who comes to talk to Aldred while he is writing his report?
3. How does Aldred describe Helen at first glance?
4. Who is Aldred Leith?
5. How old is Aldred in 1947?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)