|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say the Dwarf shrinks to the size of?
2. What did Robert have a "silly idea" of doing in the old days?
3. What does the Well-Dressed Ghost in the forest tell the Solid One following her?
4. What does MacDonald say that Heaven is?
5. What does the Female Ghost call the Solid Woman to whom she speaks of Robert?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator feel after his encounter with the Hard-Bitten Ghost? Why?
2. What does Sarah do when the dwarf disappears?
3. What does the Female Ghost say about the flowers she put on Robert's desk?
4. Why is the Well-Dressed Ghost fearful of going into the mountains with the Bright People?
5. How does MacDonald explain the size of Hell to the narrator?
6. What does the Female Ghost tell the Bright Woman were her husband's faults?
7. What does the narrator see when things suddenly change in Chapter 14? What do the figures on the table do?
8. What do the two ghosts do when Sarah asks for forgiveness?
9. What happens when the ghost with the lizard allows the Bright Person to kill the lizard?
10. How did Pam neglect her husband and daughter in her life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of the narrator and MacDonald. How are these characters alike? How are they different? What are the traits of each?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Lewis' use of symbolism and motif in The Great Divorce. Define these terms and give examples in your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Lewis' use of irony in The Great Divorce. What are the three forms of irony? Give an example of each within the novel.
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)