|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Dwarf ask of Sarah?
2. What is notable about the Dwarf after the Lady kisses him?
3. What does MacDonald tell the narrator to call this land?
4. What was clearer here for the narrator than on Earth, according to MacDonald?
5. What does the narrator walk toward when he leaves the river?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does MacDonald explain Heaven, Hell and Purgatory to the narrator?
2. What does Pam's brother tell her about the love of God? How must she change in order to see her son?
3. What does the narrator see when things suddenly change in Chapter 14? What do the figures on the table do?
4. Who is the Bright Person who approaches the narrator? What is his appearance?
5. How did Pam neglect her husband and daughter in her life?
6. How does the narrator feel after his encounter with the Hard-Bitten Ghost? Why?
7. What does Sarah do when the dwarf disappears?
8. What does the Female Ghost tell the Bright Woman were her husband's faults?
9. Why is the Well-Dressed Ghost fearful of going into the mountains with the Bright People?
10. What does the Tragedian do that makes the dwarf get smaller? What does Sarah say about this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the narrator's actions and objectives in The Great Divorce. What changes does his character undergo? What does he represent symbolically?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Lewis' use of irony in The Great Divorce. What are the three forms of irony? Give an example of each within the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of the narrator and MacDonald. How are these characters alike? How are they different? What are the traits of each?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)