|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does MacDonald say that both good and evil become if full-grown?
2. Who are the young men and women on either side of Sarah, according to MacDonald?
3. What does MacDonald point out as no bigger than the portal which brought the bus to Heaven?
4. What did the Hard-Bitten Ghost leave the narrator with?
5. Where did Sarah live in her Earthly life?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the ghost with the lizard allows the Bright Person to kill the lizard?
2. What is MacDonald's reply when the narrator asks him if all he has seen is false?
3. Why does the Female Ghost change her mind about seeing Robert?
4. Why is the Well-Dressed Ghost fearful of going into the mountains with the Bright People?
5. What does MacDonald tell the narrator about the beautiful woman in the procession?
6. Who does MacDonald say is the only Bright Person who can get into Hell? Why?
7. Why does MacDonald tell the narrator that the ghosts choose not to take the bus to Heaven?
8. How does MacDonald explain the size of Hell to the narrator?
9. What does Sarah do when the dwarf disappears?
10. How does MacDonald explain Heaven, Hell and Purgatory to the narrator?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the character of MacDonald serve the novel? What is the literary term that may be applied to him? What are his major characteristics? What does he represent symbolically?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the various conflicts in The Great Divorce. Which characters embody internal conflict? Where is external conflict illuminated? Where is the narrator's conflict established in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the themes of love and lust in The Great Divorce. How are "defective love" and "lust" compared? How does the author exemplify this through parable?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)