|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Sarah live in her Earthly life?
2. What does the narrator say the Dwarf shrinks to the size of?
3. What, according to MacDonald, can a horse not sympathize with?
4. What does the Female Ghost call the Solid Woman to whom she speaks of Robert?
5. Who are the young men and women on either side of Sarah, according to MacDonald?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the finals scenes the narrator encounters in The Great Divorce. What are the meanings of the symbols here? What does the table represent? The chess figures? How does this relate to the themes of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the plot structure of The Great Divorce. Include examples of and define the terms rising action, climax, and falling action in your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the various conflicts in The Great Divorce. Which characters embody internal conflict? Where is external conflict illuminated? Where is the narrator's conflict established in the novel?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)