|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is MacDonald's first name?
2. What does MacDonald say "isn't enough" among mortals?
3. What in the song sung by the followers of Sarah cannot scare her in the night?
4. What does the Solid Man tell Pam you can't fully love until you love God?
5. What does the Tragedian Ghost wear?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sarah do when the dwarf disappears?
2. What analogy does the narrator conclude about the figures and the table in Chapter 14?
3. Why does the Female Ghost change her mind about seeing Robert?
4. Why does the narrator begin to feel unsafe in this place after his encounter with the Hard-Bitten Ghost? What does he hide from?
5. Why is the Well-Dressed Ghost fearful of going into the mountains with the Bright People?
6. What does the Female Ghost tell the Bright Woman were her husband's faults?
7. What does the Female Ghost say about the flowers she put on Robert's desk?
8. What does the narrator do when MacDonald offers to walk with him uphill? What is the sensation he speaks of?
9. What does the Tragedian do that makes the dwarf get smaller? What does Sarah say about this?
10. Why does MacDonald tell the narrator that the ghosts choose not to take the bus to Heaven?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Lewis' use of irony in The Great Divorce. What are the three forms of irony? Give an example of each within the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the setting in The Great Divorce. Is this setting realistic? Describe the qualities of the gray town, the bus, and the foothills. How are they different?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the title of The Great Divorce. What did Lewis write the novel in response to? How does his opinion of the afterlife and the philosophies of sin differ from the noted text?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)