|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pam say she'd be perfectly happy if she had?
2. What did the Female Ghost keep as a way to make her husband exercise?
3. What did Robert have a "silly idea" of doing in the old days?
4. What does Sarah call the Dwarf?
5. What does the Solid Man tell Pam she can't do to anyone in this country?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does the Bright Person tell Pam her son Michael is? Why can't she see him now?
2. What does the Female Ghost tell the Bright Woman were her husband's faults?
3. What do the two ghosts do when Sarah asks for forgiveness?
4. How does MacDonald explain the size of Hell to the narrator?
5. How does MacDonald explain Heaven, Hell and Purgatory to the narrator?
6. What is the appearance of the two ghosts whom Sarah encounters?
7. Why does MacDonald tell the narrator that the ghosts choose not to take the bus to Heaven?
8. What does the narrator see when things suddenly change in Chapter 14? What do the figures on the table do?
9. What does the Tragedian do that makes the dwarf get smaller? What does Sarah say about this?
10. Why does the Female Ghost change her mind about seeing Robert?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role that "pride" plays in The Great Divorce. Which characters are afflicted with the sin of pride? How? What does the author illuminate regarding pride as a sin? Does he have a "moral" regarding this subject?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the setting in The Great Divorce. Is this setting realistic? Describe the qualities of the gray town, the bus, and the foothills. How are they different?
Essay Topic 3
What is "Speculative Fiction?" How is The Great Divorce a part of this genre? Who coined the phrase and how is Speculative Fiction differentiated from Science Fiction or Fantasy?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)