|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. MacDonald says "The action of pity will live forever, but the _______ of pity will not."
2. What does MacDonald say that both good and evil become if full-grown?
3. What does MacDonald say that Hell does not have the power to do over Heaven?
4. Who is an example of what natural affection turns to in the end if it will not be converted?
5. What does Sarah say that the Dwarf can no longer communicate here?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pam's brother tell her about the love of God? How must she change in order to see her son?
2. Where does the Bright Person tell Pam her son Michael is? Why can't she see him now?
3. What does the Tragedian do that makes the dwarf get smaller? What does Sarah say about this?
4. How does MacDonald explain the size of Hell to the narrator?
5. Why does the Female Ghost encountered by the narrator and MacDonald say she wouldn't stay in Heaven?
6. Why is the Well-Dressed Ghost fearful of going into the mountains with the Bright People?
7. What happens when the ghost with the lizard allows the Bright Person to kill the lizard?
8. What does the Female Ghost say about the flowers she put on Robert's desk?
9. What is the appearance of the two ghosts whom Sarah encounters?
10. What happens to the narrator when the morning arrives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of the narrator and MacDonald. How are these characters alike? How are they different? What are the traits of each?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the setting in The Great Divorce. Is this setting realistic? Describe the qualities of the gray town, the bus, and the foothills. How are they different?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the various conflicts in The Great Divorce. Which characters embody internal conflict? Where is external conflict illuminated? Where is the narrator's conflict established in the novel?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)