|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does MacDonald say is young?
2. Who is the ghost that MacDonald mentioned stayed in Heaven?
3. What did Frank torment Sarah with in their earthly life?
4. Which ghost does the narrator encounter in the small clearing in Chapter 8?
5. What did the Hard-Bitten Ghost leave the narrator with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Female Ghost encountered by the narrator and MacDonald say she wouldn't stay in Heaven?
2. What do the two ghosts do when Sarah asks for forgiveness?
3. Who does MacDonald say is the only Bright Person who can get into Hell? Why?
4. What does the narrator see when things suddenly change in Chapter 14? What do the figures on the table do?
5. What does MacDonald tell the narrator about the beautiful woman in the procession?
6. What creatures appear when the Bright Person blows the horn? What is their appearance?
7. Who is the Bright Person who approaches the narrator? What is his appearance?
8. Why does the narrator begin to feel unsafe in this place after his encounter with the Hard-Bitten Ghost? What does he hide from?
9. Why is the Well-Dressed Ghost fearful of going into the mountains with the Bright People?
10. What does the narrator do when MacDonald offers to walk with him uphill? What is the sensation he speaks of?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Lewis' use of irony in The Great Divorce. What are the three forms of irony? Give an example of each within the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the narrator's actions and objectives in The Great Divorce. What changes does his character undergo? What does he represent symbolically?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the finals scenes the narrator encounters in The Great Divorce. What are the meanings of the symbols here? What does the table represent? The chess figures? How does this relate to the themes of the novel?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)