|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the Solid Man who meets the Female Ghost looking for her son?
2. What does Sarah say that pity can be used as?
3. What is the table made of in Chapter 14?
4. What happens to the Tragedian?
5. What does MacDonald tell the narrator to call this land?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Female Ghost encountered by the narrator and MacDonald say she wouldn't stay in Heaven?
2. How does MacDonald explain Heaven, Hell and Purgatory to the narrator?
3. What does the Female Ghost tell the Bright Woman were her husband's faults?
4. What does the Female Ghost say about the flowers she put on Robert's desk?
5. What does the Tragedian do that makes the dwarf get smaller? What does Sarah say about this?
6. How does MacDonald explain the size of Hell to the narrator?
7. What happens when the ghost with the lizard allows the Bright Person to kill the lizard?
8. Who is the Bright Person who approaches the narrator? What is his appearance?
9. What does the narrator do when MacDonald offers to walk with him uphill? What is the sensation he speaks of?
10. What does MacDonald tell the narrator about the beautiful woman in the procession?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the character of MacDonald serve the novel? What is the literary term that may be applied to him? What are his major characteristics? What does he represent symbolically?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the themes of love and lust in The Great Divorce. How are "defective love" and "lust" compared? How does the author exemplify this through parable?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the various conflicts in The Great Divorce. Which characters embody internal conflict? Where is external conflict illuminated? Where is the narrator's conflict established in the novel?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)