|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does MacDonald point out as no bigger than the portal which brought the bus to Heaven?
2. What does the narrator say the Dwarf shrinks to the size of?
3. What did the Female Ghost keep as a way to make her husband exercise?
4. What did Robert have a "silly idea" of doing in the old days?
5. What book had the narrator bought when he was 16?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the narrator when the morning arrives?
2. What is MacDonald's reply when the narrator asks him if all he has seen is false?
3. What does Pam's brother tell her about the love of God? How must she change in order to see her son?
4. What analogy does the narrator conclude about the figures and the table in Chapter 14?
5. What does MacDonald tell the narrator about the beautiful woman in the procession?
6. What does the narrator do when MacDonald offers to walk with him uphill? What is the sensation he speaks of?
7. Who is the Bright Person who approaches the narrator? What is his appearance?
8. Who does MacDonald say is the only Bright Person who can get into Hell? Why?
9. What does the Female Ghost tell the Bright Woman were her husband's faults?
10. Why does the narrator begin to feel unsafe in this place after his encounter with the Hard-Bitten Ghost? What does he hide from?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the title of The Great Divorce. What did Lewis write the novel in response to? How does his opinion of the afterlife and the philosophies of sin differ from the noted text?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the plot structure of The Great Divorce. Include examples of and define the terms rising action, climax, and falling action in your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the terms "Parable" and "Allegory." What characteristics does The Great Divorce share with these styles? Define the terms and cite examples of these characteristics from the text.
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)