|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does the narrator recall the Gods had tortured?
2. According to MacDonald there are some who are so occupied with the spreading of Christianity they take no regard for ______ .
3. Whom does the narrator realize is leading of the two ghosts who meet Sarah?
4. What does the narrator say the Dwarf struggles with terribly?
5. What is notable about the Dwarf after the Lady kisses him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator do when MacDonald offers to walk with him uphill? What is the sensation he speaks of?
2. What analogy does the narrator conclude about the figures and the table in Chapter 14?
3. Why does MacDonald tell the narrator that the ghosts choose not to take the bus to Heaven?
4. What does the Female Ghost say about the flowers she put on Robert's desk?
5. What do the two ghosts do when Sarah asks for forgiveness?
6. Why does the Female Ghost encountered by the narrator and MacDonald say she wouldn't stay in Heaven?
7. How does MacDonald explain Heaven, Hell and Purgatory to the narrator?
8. How does the narrator feel after his encounter with the Hard-Bitten Ghost? Why?
9. What are the approaching lights the narrator sees in Chapter 12? What are they doing? What is the song like that he hears?
10. What creatures appear when the Bright Person blows the horn? What is their appearance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the literary style of C. S. Lewis and the elements of style which are present in The Great Divorce. How do his choices of point of view, characterization, exposition, irony and foreshadowing affect the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of the narrator and MacDonald. How are these characters alike? How are they different? What are the traits of each?
Essay Topic 3
How does the character of MacDonald serve the novel? What is the literary term that may be applied to him? What are his major characteristics? What does he represent symbolically?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)