|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does MacDonald explain that Sarah couldn't go to Hell?
2. Who is the ghost that MacDonald mentioned stayed in Heaven?
3. What approaches the narrator and his guide in the beginning of Chapter 12?
4. According to MacDonald where do literary ghosts go to visit?
5. What was Pam's husband's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does MacDonald tell the narrator about the beautiful woman in the procession?
2. What creatures appear when the Bright Person blows the horn? What is their appearance?
3. What happens when the ghost with the lizard allows the Bright Person to kill the lizard?
4. Why does the Female Ghost encountered by the narrator and MacDonald say she wouldn't stay in Heaven?
5. Why does the narrator begin to feel unsafe in this place after his encounter with the Hard-Bitten Ghost? What does he hide from?
6. What is MacDonald's reply when the narrator asks him if all he has seen is false?
7. Why is the Well-Dressed Ghost fearful of going into the mountains with the Bright People?
8. Who is the Bright Person who approaches the narrator? What is his appearance?
9. How does MacDonald explain the size of Hell to the narrator?
10. Why does MacDonald tell the narrator that the ghosts choose not to take the bus to Heaven?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the themes of love and lust in The Great Divorce. How are "defective love" and "lust" compared? How does the author exemplify this through parable?
Essay Topic 2
What is "Speculative Fiction?" How is The Great Divorce a part of this genre? Who coined the phrase and how is Speculative Fiction differentiated from Science Fiction or Fantasy?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the literary style of C. S. Lewis and the elements of style which are present in The Great Divorce. How do his choices of point of view, characterization, exposition, irony and foreshadowing affect the novel?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)