|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What comes rushing forth after the Solid One blows the horn in the forest?
2. What does the table represent in Chapter 14?
3. What is the name of the son whom the Female Ghost is longing to see?
4. What does the Solid Man say that Pam is only using as a means to get to her son?
5. According to MacDonald where do literary ghosts go to visit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the two ghosts do when Sarah asks for forgiveness?
2. Why does the Female Ghost encountered by the narrator and MacDonald say she wouldn't stay in Heaven?
3. What does the narrator see when things suddenly change in Chapter 14? What do the figures on the table do?
4. What is the appearance of the two ghosts whom Sarah encounters?
5. Why does the narrator begin to feel unsafe in this place after his encounter with the Hard-Bitten Ghost? What does he hide from?
6. What does Sarah do when the dwarf disappears?
7. Why does MacDonald tell the narrator that the ghosts choose not to take the bus to Heaven?
8. Why is the Well-Dressed Ghost fearful of going into the mountains with the Bright People?
9. Where does the Bright Person tell Pam her son Michael is? Why can't she see him now?
10. What creatures appear when the Bright Person blows the horn? What is their appearance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What literary allusions does C. S. Lewis make in the novel? What does this term mean? Which character specifically is an overt allusion? How?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the finals scenes the narrator encounters in The Great Divorce. What are the meanings of the symbols here? What does the table represent? The chess figures? How does this relate to the themes of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
How does the character of MacDonald serve the novel? What is the literary term that may be applied to him? What are his major characteristics? What does he represent symbolically?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)