|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the table made of in Chapter 14?
2. Why does MacDonald explain that Sarah couldn't go to Hell?
3. What does the narrator say the Dwarf shrinks to the size of?
4. What does the Solid Person remind Pam that her son was at first?
5. What does the narrator suddenly see all around in Chapter 14?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator do when MacDonald offers to walk with him uphill? What is the sensation he speaks of?
2. What does MacDonald tell the narrator about the beautiful woman in the procession?
3. How does MacDonald explain the size of Hell to the narrator?
4. Why does the Female Ghost encountered by the narrator and MacDonald say she wouldn't stay in Heaven?
5. What does Pam's brother tell her about the love of God? How must she change in order to see her son?
6. How does MacDonald explain Heaven, Hell and Purgatory to the narrator?
7. What does the narrator see when things suddenly change in Chapter 14? What do the figures on the table do?
8. How did Pam neglect her husband and daughter in her life?
9. Why does the narrator begin to feel unsafe in this place after his encounter with the Hard-Bitten Ghost? What does he hide from?
10. How does the narrator feel after his encounter with the Hard-Bitten Ghost? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of foreshadowing in The Great Divorce. What objects, people, or symbols are elements of foreshadowing that the author uses? How and when do these recur? Define the term in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the terms "Parable" and "Allegory." What characteristics does The Great Divorce share with these styles? Define the terms and cite examples of these characteristics from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the narrator's actions and objectives in The Great Divorce. What changes does his character undergo? What does he represent symbolically?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)