|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sarah say that pity can be used as?
2. What does the narrator say the Dwarf shrinks to the size of?
3. What does the Female Ghost say she did for Robert?
4. What does the Tragedian Ghost wear?
5. What does Sarah tell the Tragedian he cannot bring into her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the Bright Person who approaches the narrator? What is his appearance?
2. What does the narrator see when things suddenly change in Chapter 14? What do the figures on the table do?
3. What is the appearance of the two ghosts whom Sarah encounters?
4. What happens when the ghost with the lizard allows the Bright Person to kill the lizard?
5. What does Sarah do when the dwarf disappears?
6. What does Pam's brother tell her about the love of God? How must she change in order to see her son?
7. What happens to the narrator when the morning arrives?
8. How does MacDonald explain the size of Hell to the narrator?
9. What is MacDonald's reply when the narrator asks him if all he has seen is false?
10. Where does the Bright Person tell Pam her son Michael is? Why can't she see him now?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the various conflicts in The Great Divorce. Which characters embody internal conflict? Where is external conflict illuminated? Where is the narrator's conflict established in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Lewis' use of irony in The Great Divorce. What are the three forms of irony? Give an example of each within the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role that "pride" plays in The Great Divorce. Which characters are afflicted with the sin of pride? How? What does the author illuminate regarding pride as a sin? Does he have a "moral" regarding this subject?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)