|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book had the narrator bought when he was 16?
2. What does Pam say she'd be perfectly happy if she had?
3. What was Pam's husband's name?
4. According to MacDonald there are some who are so occupied with the spreading of Christianity they take no regard for ______ .
5. Whom does the narrator realize is leading of the two ghosts who meet Sarah?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pam's brother tell her about the love of God? How must she change in order to see her son?
2. What happens to the narrator when the morning arrives?
3. Who does MacDonald say is the only Bright Person who can get into Hell? Why?
4. What is the appearance of the two ghosts whom Sarah encounters?
5. What do the two ghosts do when Sarah asks for forgiveness?
6. Why is the Well-Dressed Ghost fearful of going into the mountains with the Bright People?
7. What are the approaching lights the narrator sees in Chapter 12? What are they doing? What is the song like that he hears?
8. What creatures appear when the Bright Person blows the horn? What is their appearance?
9. What analogy does the narrator conclude about the figures and the table in Chapter 14?
10. How does MacDonald explain Heaven, Hell and Purgatory to the narrator?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the terms "Parable" and "Allegory." What characteristics does The Great Divorce share with these styles? Define the terms and cite examples of these characteristics from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of foreshadowing in The Great Divorce. What objects, people, or symbols are elements of foreshadowing that the author uses? How and when do these recur? Define the term in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
How does the character of MacDonald serve the novel? What is the literary term that may be applied to him? What are his major characteristics? What does he represent symbolically?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)