|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What, according to MacDonald, can a horse not sympathize with?
2. What does MacDonald ask the narrator if he's ever heard of?
3. What, according to MacDonald, is easier mistaken for gold than clay?
4. What in the song sung by the followers of Sarah cannot scare her in the night?
5. How much was the Female Ghost's husband "pottering along" on when she met him?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role that "pride" plays in The Great Divorce. Which characters are afflicted with the sin of pride? How? What does the author illuminate regarding pride as a sin? Does he have a "moral" regarding this subject?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the title of The Great Divorce. What did Lewis write the novel in response to? How does his opinion of the afterlife and the philosophies of sin differ from the noted text?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the terms "Parable" and "Allegory." What characteristics does The Great Divorce share with these styles? Define the terms and cite examples of these characteristics from the text.
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)