|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does MacDonald say is the gift that men most resemble the Creator?
2. How much was the Female Ghost's husband "pottering along" on when she met him?
3. What does the Well-Dressed Ghost in the forest tell the Solid One following her?
4. What does the Tragedian accuse Sarah of doing to him?
5. Who is the glorious woman being praised in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does MacDonald tell the narrator that the ghosts choose not to take the bus to Heaven?
2. How does MacDonald explain Heaven, Hell and Purgatory to the narrator?
3. How does the narrator feel after his encounter with the Hard-Bitten Ghost? Why?
4. What does the Female Ghost say about the flowers she put on Robert's desk?
5. How did Pam neglect her husband and daughter in her life?
6. What does Sarah do when the dwarf disappears?
7. How does MacDonald explain the size of Hell to the narrator?
8. What do the two ghosts do when Sarah asks for forgiveness?
9. What happens to the narrator when the morning arrives?
10. What does the Female Ghost tell the Bright Woman were her husband's faults?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of foreshadowing in The Great Divorce. What objects, people, or symbols are elements of foreshadowing that the author uses? How and when do these recur? Define the term in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the literary style of C. S. Lewis and the elements of style which are present in The Great Divorce. How do his choices of point of view, characterization, exposition, irony and foreshadowing affect the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the title of The Great Divorce. What did Lewis write the novel in response to? How does his opinion of the afterlife and the philosophies of sin differ from the noted text?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)