|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator fear would crush him into the earth in Chapter 8?
2. What are the small creatures on the table representative of in Chapter 14?
3. What creature is on the shoulder of the Ghost in the forest?
4. According to MacDonald there are some who are so occupied with the spreading of Christianity they take no regard for ______ .
5. Who is Robert to the Ghost who insists on not seeing him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What creatures appear when the Bright Person blows the horn? What is their appearance?
2. What are the approaching lights the narrator sees in Chapter 12? What are they doing? What is the song like that he hears?
3. What happens to the narrator when the morning arrives?
4. How does MacDonald explain Heaven, Hell and Purgatory to the narrator?
5. Why does the Female Ghost change her mind about seeing Robert?
6. What does the narrator see when things suddenly change in Chapter 14? What do the figures on the table do?
7. What happens when the ghost with the lizard allows the Bright Person to kill the lizard?
8. What does the Tragedian do that makes the dwarf get smaller? What does Sarah say about this?
9. What does the Female Ghost tell the Bright Woman were her husband's faults?
10. Why is the Well-Dressed Ghost fearful of going into the mountains with the Bright People?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of "Free Will." What is the definition of this term? How does it apply to The Great Divorce? How does this theme tie into other themes in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the narrator's actions and objectives in The Great Divorce. What changes does his character undergo? What does he represent symbolically?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the various conflicts in The Great Divorce. Which characters embody internal conflict? Where is external conflict illuminated? Where is the narrator's conflict established in the novel?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)