|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote, "Tis better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven?"
2. What does Sarah say that pity can be used as?
3. What does the narrator walk toward when he leaves the river?
4. Who is the glorious woman being praised in Chapter 12?
5. According to MacDonald there are some who are so occupied with the spreading of Christianity they take no regard for ______ .
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Lewis' use of symbolism and motif in The Great Divorce. Define these terms and give examples in your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the title of The Great Divorce. What did Lewis write the novel in response to? How does his opinion of the afterlife and the philosophies of sin differ from the noted text?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Lewis' use of irony in The Great Divorce. What are the three forms of irony? Give an example of each within the novel.
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)