|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the Hard-Bitten Ghost say that both sides in all the wars were run by?
2. How much does a man in line offer the woman to trade places?
3. What does the narrator see in the hawthorn bush?
4. What does Dick tell the Episcopal Ghost they reached a point that they no longer believed in?
5. What sound does the narrator hear from the stillness of the open door before he exits the bus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Hard-Bitten Ghost invite the narrator to do? What is his reply?
2. How long does the narrator travel on the river? How far does he go?
3. What does the Hard-Bitten Ghost plan on doing? Why?
4. What does the Bright Person ask the ghost of the Fat Man about his father? What does the ghost say the Bright Person was wrong about?
5. What happens to the Short Man in the line next to the narrator?
6. How does the narrator move two spaces in line after he joins in waiting?
7. What does the solid person tell the Big Man about Jack?
8. Describe the bus and the bus driver.
9. What does the voice call out to Ikey with the golden apples? Where is the voice from? What does Ikey do?
10. Where has the Hard-Bitten Ghost been? What does he say of these places?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
From what point of view is the novel written? In what tense is it written? Define the terms which apply to these forms as discussed in class. In what ways does a narrative written in this point of view allow the reader greater understanding of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the setting in The Great Divorce. Is this setting realistic? Describe the qualities of the gray town, the bus, and the foothills. How are they different?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of foreshadowing in The Great Divorce. What objects, people, or symbols are elements of foreshadowing that the author uses? How and when do these recur? Define the term in your answer.
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)