|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the glorious woman being praised in Chapter 12?
(a) Sarah Smith.
(b) Sarah Vangrave.
(c) Sarah Walters.
(d) Sarah Williams.
2. What are the small creatures on the table representative of in Chapter 14?
(a) The Devil.
(c) The Great Figures.
(d) Anger and Joy.
3. What appeared to follow the glorious woman who was being praised in Chapter 12?
(a) A cat.
(b) A shining train.
(c) A fox.
(d) An elephant.
4. Who is the ghost that MacDonald mentioned stayed in Heaven?
5. Who says, "Can't you understand anything? Do you really suppose I'm going out there among all those people, like this?"
(a) The Dwarf.
(b) The Well-Dressed Ghost.
(c) The Tragedian.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sarah call the Dwarf?
2. MacDonald says that of the Saved, what happens to them is best described as the opposite of what?
3. What phrase does the Tragedian repeat several times?
4. What does Sarah say that pity can be used as?
5. What is the name of the son whom the Female Ghost is longing to see?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Female Ghost say about the flowers she put on Robert's desk?
2. What happens when the ghost with the lizard allows the Bright Person to kill the lizard?
3. What does the narrator see when things suddenly change in Chapter 14? What do the figures on the table do?
4. Why does the narrator begin to feel unsafe in this place after his encounter with the Hard-Bitten Ghost? What does he hide from?
5. Why does the Female Ghost encountered by the narrator and MacDonald say she wouldn't stay in Heaven?
6. What does MacDonald tell the narrator about the beautiful woman in the procession?
7. Why does the Female Ghost change her mind about seeing Robert?
8. How does the narrator feel after his encounter with the Hard-Bitten Ghost? Why?
9. What creatures appear when the Bright Person blows the horn? What is their appearance?
10. What happens to the narrator when the morning arrives?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)