|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does MacDonald tell the narrator to call this land?
(a) The Valley of the Shadow of Death.
(c) Heaven's Foothills.
(d) The Valley of the Shadow of Life.
2. What phrase does the Tragedian repeat several times?
(a) "Leaving me."
(b) "Wallowing in my own shame."
(c) "Lying dead at my feet."
(d) "Crying for her."
3. What did Frank torment Sarah with in their earthly life?
(a) His misery.
(b) His rage.
(c) His hatred.
(d) His love.
4. What is the name of the Solid Man who meets the Female Ghost looking for her son?
5. What does the Tragedian accuse Sarah of doing to him?
(a) Driving him back to Hell.
(b) Worrying for him.
(c) Loving him.
(d) Praising him.
Short Answer Questions
1. MacDonald says "The action of pity will live forever, but the _______ of pity will not."
2. What does the Solid One tell the Well-Dressed Ghost to drink the cup of?
3. What does MacDonald tell the narrator he's been doing all this time in Chapter 14?
4. What does MacDonald say is the gift that men most resemble the Creator?
5. What does the narrator wonder that the whole trip of the Ghosts might be for in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does MacDonald explain the size of Hell to the narrator?
2. Where does the Bright Person tell Pam her son Michael is? Why can't she see him now?
3. What analogy does the narrator conclude about the figures and the table in Chapter 14?
4. Who does MacDonald say is the only Bright Person who can get into Hell? Why?
5. What does MacDonald tell the narrator about the beautiful woman in the procession?
6. What does Pam's brother tell her about the love of God? How must she change in order to see her son?
7. What does Sarah do when the dwarf disappears?
8. What are the approaching lights the narrator sees in Chapter 12? What are they doing? What is the song like that he hears?
9. What does the Female Ghost tell the Bright Woman were her husband's faults?
10. What creatures appear when the Bright Person blows the horn? What is their appearance?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)