|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Ghost tells the Bright Man called Dick that his views were wrong about this in life:
(a) His mother.
(b) His belief in Communism.
(c) His father.
(d) Literal Heaven and Hell.
2. What color does one of the ghosts mention on the bus?
3. What does the Ghost tell Dick that his opinions in life were, in addition to being honest?
4. Why does the man on the bus say that you don't meet historical characters in the gray town?
(a) They are all blind.
(b) They live millions of miles away.
(c) They are snobbish.
(d) They are all deaf.
5. What about the space felt different after the narrator got out of the bus?
(a) It felt oppressive.
(b) It felt smaller.
(c) It felt larger.
(d) It felt dark.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Solid Man say he is here to be for the Big Man?
2. What time of day is it when the story begins?
3. How had the Tousle-Headed Poet killed himself?
4. What does Dick tell the Episcopal Ghost they reached a point that they no longer believed in?
5. How full is the bus when the narrator gets on?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the man in the bowler hat tell the narrator the gray town seemed so desolate?
2. What is the ghost in the bushes doing? Who is this ghost?
3. What is the narrator's experience walking on the grass? What does he envy?
4. What has the Conscientious Objector encountered since his death? Why is he on the bus?
5. How does the narrator move two spaces in line after he joins in waiting?
6. What does the solid person tell the Big Man about Jack?
7. Describe the setting in which the narrator finds himself in at the beginning of the book.
8. How does the Big Man feel about his indiscretions being disclosed? What does he do?
9. Why does the narrator stop walking on the river? What does he see up the slope?
10. What does the place appear as when the narrator gets off the bus?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)