|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator walk toward when he leaves the river?
(a) The bus.
(b) The mountain.
(c) A field.
(d) A forest.
2. What does the Female Ghost say she did for Robert?
(a) Killed herself.
(b) Killed him.
(c) Worshipped him.
(d) Sacrificed her whole life.
3. Who is Robert to the Ghost who insists on not seeing him?
(a) Her brother.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her husband.
(d) Her son.
4. What, according to MacDonald, is easier mistaken for gold than clay?
5. What was clearer here for the narrator than on Earth, according to MacDonald?
(a) The lens.
(b) The death.
(c) The life.
(d) The love.
6. What had Robert not had "a spark of"?
7. What does the Solid Man tell Pam she can't do to anyone in this country?
(a) Pity them.
(b) Hurt them.
(c) Worship them.
(d) Kill them.
8. MacDonald says that of the Saved, what happens to them is best described as the opposite of what?
(a) A mirage.
(b) A journey.
(c) A mirror.
9. What did Frank torment Sarah with in their earthly life?
(a) His rage.
(b) His hatred.
(c) His love.
(d) His misery.
10. What approaches the narrator and his guide in the beginning of Chapter 12?
(a) A cloud.
(b) A procession.
(c) A waterfall.
(d) A swarm of bees.
11. Where does MacDonald say that most of the Ghosts go for their "vacations"?
12. What is on the table in Chapter 14?
13. What does the Solid One tell the Well-Dressed Ghost he can't completely do?
(a) Carry her.
(b) Heal her.
(c) Kiss her.
(d) Save her.
14. What happens to the Tragedian?
(a) He lights on fire.
(b) He disappears.
(c) He melts.
(d) He explodes.
15. What does MacDonald tell the narrator to call this land?
(b) The Valley of the Shadow of Life.
(c) The Valley of the Shadow of Death.
(d) Heaven's Foothills.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sarah call the Dwarf?
2. Which ghost does the narrator encounter in the small clearing in Chapter 8?
3. What does MacDonald say that both good and evil become if full-grown?
4. Why does MacDonald explain that Sarah couldn't go to Hell?
5. What does Sarah tell the Tragedian he cannot bring into her?
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)