|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is on the table in Chapter 14?
2. What does MacDonald ask the narrator if he's ever heard of?
(d) Prometheus Bound.
3. Who is the glorious woman being praised in Chapter 12?
(a) Sarah Vangrave.
(b) Sarah Smith.
(c) Sarah Williams.
(d) Sarah Walters.
4. What does the Tragedian Ghost wear?
(b) A black hat.
(c) White gloves.
(d) A mask.
5. What is the name of the son whom the Female Ghost is longing to see?
6. What does MacDonald say that both good and evil become if full-grown?
7. What comes rushing forth after the Solid One blows the horn in the forest?
8. What are the small creatures on the table representative of in Chapter 14?
(a) The Devil.
(b) Anger and Joy.
(c) The Great Figures.
9. What does the Female Ghost consider controlling Robert to have been?
(a) Her virtue.
(b) Her shame.
(c) Her right.
(d) Her duty.
10. According to MacDonald where do literary ghosts go to visit?
11. How much was the Female Ghost's husband "pottering along" on when she met him?
(a) 400 a year.
(b) 1,000 a year.
(c) 600 a year.
(d) 10,000 a year.
12. Who wrote, "Tis better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven?"
(c) C. S. Lewis.
13. Who are the young men and women on either side of Sarah, according to MacDonald?
(a) Her sons and daughters.
(b) Her lovers.
(c) Her angels.
(d) Her sisters and brothers.
14. What does the Dwarf ask of Sarah?
(a) If she hated him.
(b) If she left him.
(c) If she missed him.
(d) If she loved him.
15. Where does MacDonald say that most of the Ghosts go for their "vacations"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sarah say that the Dwarf can no longer communicate here?
2. What does the narrator wonder that the whole trip of the Ghosts might be for in Chapter 8?
3. What did Frank torment Sarah with in their earthly life?
4. What, according to MacDonald, is easier mistaken for gold than clay?
5. What does Sarah tell the Tragedian he cannot bring into her?
This section contains 369 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)