|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Robert to the Ghost who insists on not seeing him?
(a) Her husband.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her brother.
(d) Her son.
2. What does the narrator walk toward when he leaves the river?
(a) The bus.
(b) A field.
(c) The mountain.
(d) A forest.
3. What approaches the narrator and his guide in the beginning of Chapter 12?
(a) A procession.
(b) A waterfall.
(c) A swarm of bees.
(d) A cloud.
4. What does the sunrise shoot dead?
5. MacDonald says "The action of pity will live forever, but the _______ of pity will not."
6. What does the Dwarf ask of Sarah?
(a) If she missed him.
(b) If she loved him.
(c) If she left him.
(d) If she hated him.
7. What was clearer here for the narrator than on Earth, according to MacDonald?
(a) The lens.
(b) The death.
(c) The love.
(d) The life.
8. What does the narrator wonder that the whole trip of the Ghosts might be for in Chapter 8?
(a) To mock them.
(b) To torture them.
(c) To cherish them.
(d) To save them.
9. What does the Well-Dressed Ghost in the forest tell the Solid One following her?
(a) To help her sleep.
(b) To take her to her husband.
(c) To leave her alone.
(d) To take her to the mountain.
10. Who is the glorious woman being praised in Chapter 12?
(a) Sarah Vangrave.
(b) Sarah Smith.
(c) Sarah Williams.
(d) Sarah Walters.
11. Who are the young men and women on either side of Sarah, according to MacDonald?
(a) Her lovers.
(b) Her sisters and brothers.
(c) Her angels.
(d) Her sons and daughters.
12. What does MacDonald say that both good and evil become if full-grown?
13. What does the Solid Person remind Pam that her son was at first?
(a) A brat.
(b) A miracle.
(c) An abomination.
(d) An accident.
14. Whom does the narrator realize is leading of the two ghosts who meet Sarah?
(a) The Fat Man.
(b) The Comic.
(c) The Tragedian.
(d) The Dwarf.
15. What does the Well-Dressed Ghost say she would rather do than be seen?
(a) Meet God.
(b) Go to Hell.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Solid Man say that Pam is only using as a means to get to her son?
2. What phrase does the Tragedian repeat several times?
3. What does the Tragedian accuse Sarah of doing to him?
4. What does MacDonald say that Hell does not have the power to do over Heaven?
5. Robert could not work more than how many hours a day?
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)