• The narrator suddenly finds himself in a dismal gray town just before nightfall and wanders around the dingy streets, looking for direction.
• It looks like the entire town is empty, but then he finds a bus station where people are waiting in line.
• For lack of anything better to do, he stands in line.
• Several people are tricked out of the line or leave in arguments, making the line shorter.
• The bus arrives, blazing with golden light.
• The narrator is the last to get on the bus and finds a seat in the back away from the others, but a young man sits down next to him.
• The youth says he realized as soon as he'd arrived in the gray town that there had been some mistake.
• The youth pulls out of his pocket a thick wad of typewritten paper and asks the narrator if he'd mind...
This section contains 2,222 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)