|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Theodore Cooper hired to investigate at the bridge site?
(a) The iron superstructure.
(b) The suspension wires.
(c) The caissons.
(d) The workers' health.
2. How fast will the cable cars that travel the Brooklyn Bridge travel?
(a) 20-40 mph.
(b) 30-50 mph.
(c) 50-70 mph.
(d) 60-80 mph.
3. Which of the following characters does NOT give a speech at the opening of the Brooklyn Bridge?
4. By what year does Murphy predict the bridge will be complete?
5. How much of the Brooklyn Bridge's construction costs is New York City expected to pay?
(a) None of it.
(b) All of it.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many photographers are hired to capture the opening of the Brooklyn Bridge.
2. In a glowing report in "The Eagle" about bridge construction, who is the only member of the project management left out of the article?
3. How much is the wire contract valued at?
4. Which of the following characters is NOT one of Emily's neighbors on Columbia Heights?
5. What river does Emily Warren grow up on?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ferrington react to being chosen as the first man to cross the Brooklyn Bridge?
2. How does the city of New York change during The Panic of 1873?
3. What is life like for Washington Roebling during the three years he is forced to live in Trenton?
4. How did Roebling celebrate his accomplishments after all his guests left his home?
5. How did Haigh succeed in getting faulty wires past the inspectors for construction?
6. Why do the bridge workers go on strike in 1872.
7. What problem do local reporters have with the temporary footbridge put into place for workers who are "spinning" up the bridge?
8. What happens when Low takes Roebling to court for management power?
9. How does Emily help Washington celebrate the bridge's completion?
10. What argument do Roebling and Hewitt find themselves in over the wire contract?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)