|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the weather like on the day the Brooklyn Bridge opens?
2. How much deeper are the caissons on the Manhattan side of the bridge than on the Brooklyn side?
(a) They are the same depth.
(b) Four times as deep.
(c) Three times as deep.
(d) Twice as deep.
3. What is the name of the company that wins the wire contract for the Brooklyn Bridge?
(a) Chrome Steel Company.
(b) Roebling and Sons.
(c) Wires R Us.
(d) The New York Wire.
4. In a glowing report in "The Eagle" about bridge construction, who is the only member of the project management left out of the article?
5. How old is Washington Roebling at the completion of the Brooklyn Bridge?
Short Answer Questions
1. What false rumor regarding Roebling is spread through New York papers during his time in Trenton?
2. As the bridge nears completion, how do young trustees feel about Roebling?
3. Which of the following characters does NOT give a speech at the opening of the Brooklyn Bridge?
4. Which of the following adjectives does NOT describe Emily Warren?
5. Why does Henry Beers attempt to shut down production on the Brooklyn Bridge?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Haigh succeed in getting faulty wires past the inspectors for construction?
2. What effects does Smith see the bends has on workers circulatory systems?
3. What argument do Roebling and Hewitt find themselves in over the wire contract?
4. What happens during the "rope fall" of 1878?
5. What symptoms of the Bends does Dr. Smith encounter during his research of the disease?
6. How does Ferrington react to being chosen as the first man to cross the Brooklyn Bridge?
7. Why do the bridge workers go on strike in 1872.
8. What statements about wire and Roebling does the Herald print, even though they are not factual?
9. What happens when Low takes Roebling to court for management power?
10. What problem do local reporters have with the temporary footbridge put into place for workers who are "spinning" up the bridge?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)