|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following poets is a supporter of Roebling's bridge project?
(a) Gertruid Stein.
(b) Walt Whitman.
(c) Ezra Pound.
(d) Emily Dickinson.
2. Which of the following is NOT a job Kingsley works before becoming a fundraiser for the Brooklyn Bridge?
(a) Bridge builder.
(b) Sewer drainer.
(c) Park cleaner.
(d) Street paver.
3. Who does "The Genuine Language of America" dub the "heroes of the Age of Progress?"
(a) Construction workers.
4. By the time Roebling's bridge is launched, how many of his workers have died on the job?
5. How long did it take Roebling to build the Allegheny Bridge?
(a) 5 years.
(b) 11 years.
(c) 17 years.
(d) 23 years.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a way Roebling's workers attempt to light the dark tunnels where they work?
2. Which of the following is NOT the name of one of John Roebling's sons?
3. What is the name of the lumber company that falls under suspicion of scandal?
4. What is the name of Washington's wife?
5. How does the public react to the working conditions Roebling's men endure in the caissons?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Washington and Emily move to Germany, and how did John feel about the move?
2. Which problems stopped the initial production of "The Rainbow Bridge" in the early-1800s?
3. How did Roebling combat injuries and sickness amongst his men working in the caisson?
4. Why were both Manhattan and Brooklyn interested in the construction of the Brooklyn Bridge?
5. Who was Kingsley, and how did he become involved in fund raising for the Brooklyn Bridge?
6. How is the fire in the caisson started, and how do the newspapers report the fire?
7. How is Tweed depicted in the newspapers of New York?
8. How did the people of Brooklyn eventually come to demand the construction of the Brooklyn Bridge?
9. How was the fire in the caisson extinguished?
10. What happened during the "Great Blowout" in the river?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)