|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following metals does Roebling call "the metal of the future?"
2. Who does "The Genuine Language of America" dub the "heroes of the Age of Progress?"
(c) Construction workers.
3. How does "The Genuine Language of America" feel about on the job casualties?
(a) That they are avoidable.
(b) That they are too frequent.
(c) That they do not exist.
(d) That they are inevitable.
4. Over what river is the first suspension bridge ever built?
(a) Michael's Creek.
(b) Thomas' Creek.
(c) Jacob's Creek.
(d) John's Creek.
5. In what month of the year does Roebling's caisson finally slide into the water?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Washington Roebling named after?
2. In what country does Washington study European bridges?
3. Which of the following is NOT a name Roebling's project carries at some point during its process?
4. What is the name of the Brooklyn neighborhood where the elite live, overlooking the ocean?
5. In which city is "The Biggest Bridge in the World" constructed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened during the "Great Blowout" in the river?
2. What alterations are made to the Brooklyn Bridge plans in the days before its commencement?
3. Why did John so quickly return to engineering after moving to America?
4. Which problems stopped the initial production of "The Rainbow Bridge" in the early-1800s?
5. What were some of the benefits of living in Brooklyn during the 1860's over living in Manhattan?
6. What type of wedding did Tweed throw for his daughter, and what was the effect of that wedding on Tweed's political career?
7. Why was John Roebling so devastated when his wife, Johanna, died?
8. How did John Roebling find himself moving to America?
9. What scandal does Kingsley find himself embroiled in at the start of the Brooklyn Bridge's construction?
10. What two conclusions do "The Genuine Language of America" make about the Bridge Party?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)