|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long are the shifts while digging the caissons on the Manhattan side of the bridge?
(a) Four hours.
(b) Two hours.
(c) Six hours.
(d) Eight hours.
2. In total, how much does the Brooklyn Bridge cost to build?
(a) $20 million.
(b) $5 million.
(c) $15 million.
(d) $10 million.
3. How much of the Brooklyn Bridge's construction costs is New York City expected to pay?
(a) All of it.
(d) None of it.
4. What false rumor regarding Roebling is spread through New York papers during his time in Trenton?
(a) That he is in a coma.
(b) That he has died.
(c) That he has gone insane.
(d) That he is paralyzed.
5. As the bridge nears completion, how do young trustees feel about Roebling?
(a) They don't know who he is.
(b) They imagine him as a god-like figure.
(c) They are apathetic to him.
(d) They find him annoying.
6. How long does Roebling spend in Trenton at the advice of his doctors?
(a) 3 weeks.
(b) 3 days.
(c) 3 months.
(d) 3 years.
7. How many photographers are hired to capture the opening of the Brooklyn Bridge.
8. How many companies bid for the lucrative wire contract?
9. Who is Seth Low?
(a) New York Mayor.
(b) Brooklyn Governor.
(c) Brooklyn Mayor.
(d) New York Governor.
10. Which newspaper sticks by Hewitt's projections for the wire contract, even though he is not an engineer?
(a) The Times.
(b) The Herald.
(c) The Tribune.
(d) The Eagle.
11. How much is the wire contract valued at?
(a) $1 million.
(d) $10 million.
12. What is the name of the worker who dies from the bends within a half hour of being down in the caisson?
(a) Peter Frank.
(b) John Myers.
(c) Thomas O'Mally.
(d) Francis Bender.
13. Which of the following characters does NOT give a speech at the opening of the Brooklyn Bridge?
14. How many tons of wire are needed to suspend the Brooklyn Bridge?
(a) 120 tons.
(b) 10 tons.
(c) 78 tons.
(d) 56 tons.
15. Which of the following characters is NOT one of Emily's neighbors on Columbia Heights?
(a) Henry Bowen.
(b) Demas Barns.
(d) Moses Beech.
Short Answer Questions
1. What governmental position does business owner Tilden have when he competes for the lucrative wire contract in the bridge project?
2. Who demands that all committee members be banned from entering their companies into the wire contract competition?
3. How old is Washington Roebling at the completion of the Brooklyn Bridge?
4. Which of the following men would be most susceptible to the Bends in Dr. Smith's study?
5. What is the nickname of New York Mayor John Kelly?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)