|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What part of the Brooklyn Bridge does Hildebrand design?
(a) The footbridge.
(b) The caissons.
(c) The archway.
(d) The towers.
2. How long does it take the cable car to cross the East River?
(a) Seven minutes.
(b) Twelve minutes.
(c) Nineteen minutes.
(d) Twenty-one minutes.
3. Who demands that all committee members be banned from entering their companies into the wire contract competition?
4. By what year does Murphy predict the bridge will be complete?
5. How old is Emily Warren when she marries Washington Roebling?
6. What does Seth Low's father do for a living?
(a) He is a steel engineer.
(b) He is a soy farmer.
(c) He is a cherry picker.
(d) He is a silk manufacturer.
7. What is the weather like on the day the Brooklyn Bridge opens?
8. Why does Henry Beers attempt to shut down production on the Brooklyn Bridge?
(a) He says it is a waste of money.
(b) He says it is an eyesore.
(c) He says it is too dangerous.
(d) He says the public is no longer interested in it.
9. How many tons of wire are needed to suspend the Brooklyn Bridge?
(a) 78 tons.
(b) 10 tons.
(c) 56 tons.
(d) 120 tons.
10. Which of the following is NOT a modern technology invented during the time Roebling worked on the Great Bridge?
(a) Modern Plumbing.
(d) Electric Lighting.
11. What false rumor regarding Roebling is spread through New York papers during his time in Trenton?
(a) That he has gone insane.
(b) That he is paralyzed.
(c) That he has died.
(d) That he is in a coma.
12. During what month of the year is the first cable car sent across the East River?
13. Which of the following characters is NOT one of Emily's neighbors on Columbia Heights?
(a) Demas Barns.
(b) Henry Bowen.
(c) Moses Beech.
14. In total, how much does the Brooklyn Bridge cost to build?
(a) $20 million.
(b) $10 million.
(c) $15 million.
(d) $5 million.
15. Where does the Roebling family rent a cottage to get away from the stress of the Brooklyn Bridge?
Short Answer Questions
1. How much is the wire contract valued at?
2. Which system does Smith claim is most affected by the bends?
3. Who is Seth Low?
4. How much deeper are the caissons on the Manhattan side of the bridge than on the Brooklyn side?
5. What river does Emily Warren grow up on?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)