|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many people gather to watch the first cable car cross the East River?
2. While on strike, how much do the workers demand for a four-hour shift, to return to work?
3. Which of the following is NOT a modern technology invented during the time Roebling worked on the Great Bridge?
(b) Electric Lighting.
(c) Modern Plumbing.
4. What does Seth Low's father do for a living?
(a) He is a steel engineer.
(b) He is a soy farmer.
(c) He is a silk manufacturer.
(d) He is a cherry picker.
5. Why does Henry Beers attempt to shut down production on the Brooklyn Bridge?
(a) He says it is a waste of money.
(b) He says the public is no longer interested in it.
(c) He says it is too dangerous.
(d) He says it is an eyesore.
6. Which of the following is NOT a color used in the decoration scheme for the bridge's celebration?
7. How many photographers are hired to capture the opening of the Brooklyn Bridge.
8. During what month of the year is the first cable car sent across the East River?
9. In a glowing report in "The Eagle" about bridge construction, who is the only member of the project management left out of the article?
10. What is the name of the day people celebrated the completion of the Brooklyn Bridge?
(a) "Bridge Day."
(b) "The Day of the Great Bridge."
(c) "Roebling's Day."
(d) "The People's Day."
11. How much of the Brooklyn Bridge's construction costs is New York City expected to pay?
(a) None of it.
(d) All of it.
12. Which of the following animals does Dr. Smith perform tests on in the caissons, searching for a cure for the Bends?
13. How many companies bid for the lucrative wire contract?
14. How old is Emily Warren when she marries Washington Roebling?
15. What is the weather like on the day the Brooklyn Bridge opens?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is chosen to ride in the first cable car to ever cross the East River?
2. As the bridge nears completion, how do young trustees feel about Roebling?
3. Which President is in office when the St Louis bridge is completed, and is cited in newspapers as Eads' "Old friend"?
4. How many miles of wire are held inside each drum?
5. Where does the Roebling family rent a cottage to get away from the stress of the Brooklyn Bridge?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)