|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following elements is absorbed into workers' bloodstreams, forming bubbles that keep oxygen from reaching the tissues?
(b) Carbon Dioxide.
2. Which of the following subjects is Emily Warren most interested in as a child?
3. While on strike, how much do the workers demand for a four-hour shift, to return to work?
4. Who demands that all committee members be banned from entering their companies into the wire contract competition?
5. What does Seth Low's father do for a living?
(a) He is a soy farmer.
(b) He is a silk manufacturer.
(c) He is a steel engineer.
(d) He is a cherry picker.
6. Which contract for the Brooklyn Bridge is awarded to the corrupt Haighs?
7. Which of the following adjectives does NOT describe Emily Warren?
8. By what year does Murphy predict the bridge will be complete?
9. How much of the Brooklyn Bridge's construction costs is New York City expected to pay?
(b) None of it.
(c) All of it.
10. How fast will the cable cars that travel the Brooklyn Bridge travel?
(a) 50-70 mph.
(b) 20-40 mph.
(c) 30-50 mph.
(d) 60-80 mph.
11. Which President is in office when the St Louis bridge is completed, and is cited in newspapers as Eads' "Old friend"?
(a) President Grant.
(b) President Adams.
(c) President Carter.
(d) President Jackson.
12. How many tons of wire are needed to suspend the Brooklyn Bridge?
(a) 78 tons.
(b) 10 tons.
(c) 56 tons.
(d) 120 tons.
13. How many companies bid for the lucrative wire contract?
14. During what month of the year is the first cable car sent across the East River?
15. In a glowing report in "The Eagle" about bridge construction, who is the only member of the project management left out of the article?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who writes Roebling's letter of resignation from the bridge project?
2. What is the name of the worker who dies from the bends within a half hour of being down in the caisson?
3. How long are the shifts while digging the caissons on the Manhattan side of the bridge?
4. Which of the following is another name for "The Bends?"
5. After the New York caisson is filled, how many weeks of vacation does Roebling take from the bridge project?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)