|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where are the handles on the workers' temporary foot bridge?
(a) At chest level.
(b) At hip level.
(c) At shoulder level.
(d) At knee level.
2. How many tons of wire are needed to suspend the Brooklyn Bridge?
(a) 56 tons.
(b) 78 tons.
(c) 10 tons.
(d) 120 tons.
3. As the bridge nears completion, how do young trustees feel about Roebling?
(a) They are apathetic to him.
(b) They imagine him as a god-like figure.
(c) They don't know who he is.
(d) They find him annoying.
4. What future event is discussed by the old woman who retrospectively remembers the opening of the Brooklyn Bridge?
(a) The completion of the Suaz Canal.
(b) The construction of the Great Wall of China.
(c) The invention of the Internet.
(d) The moon landing.
5. Which of the following men would be most susceptible to the Bends in Dr. Smith's study?
(a) Underweight men.
(b) Overweight men.
(c) Men who smoke.
(d) Men from minority backgrounds.
6. How many people gather to watch the first cable car cross the East River?
7. How old is Emily Warren when she marries Washington Roebling?
8. Which state does Gouverneur Kemble (G.K.) map while he is a teenager?
(d) New Mexico.
9. Where does the Roebling family rent a cottage to get away from the stress of the Brooklyn Bridge?
10. How many companies bid for the lucrative wire contract?
11. Which of the following characters is NOT one of Emily's neighbors on Columbia Heights?
(a) Demas Barns.
(b) Moses Beech.
(c) Henry Bowen.
12. What governmental position does business owner Tilden have when he competes for the lucrative wire contract in the bridge project?
(d) Attorney General.
13. How far away is Roebling's new house in Columbia Ridge from the bridge?
(a) 10 miles.
(b) 50 miles.
(c) Less than a mile.
(d) 25 miles.
14. Which President is in office when the St Louis bridge is completed, and is cited in newspapers as Eads' "Old friend"?
(a) President Grant.
(b) President Jackson.
(c) President Adams.
(d) President Carter.
15. How many anchor bars hold the Brooklyn Bridge together?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Henry Beers attempt to shut down production on the Brooklyn Bridge?
2. What is the name of the day people celebrated the completion of the Brooklyn Bridge?
3. Why does Roebling want to add 1,000 pounds of trusses to the Brooklyn Bridge?
4. How long does it take the cable car to cross the East River?
5. What is the weather like on the day the Brooklyn Bridge opens?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)