|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which system does Smith claim is most affected by the bends?
(a) The nervous system.
(b) The auditory system.
(c) The digestive system.
(d) The circulatory system.
2. Who is chosen to ride in the first cable car to ever cross the East River?
3. How many photographers are hired to capture the opening of the Brooklyn Bridge.
4. Which of the following is NOT a weather that slows down the spinning process on the bridge?
5. What river does Emily Warren grow up on?
(a) The Hudson river.
(b) The St Louis river.
(c) The Mississippi river.
(d) The East river.
6. What is the name of the company that wins the wire contract for the Brooklyn Bridge?
(a) Wires R Us.
(b) Roebling and Sons.
(c) The New York Wire.
(d) Chrome Steel Company.
7. Why does Roebling want to add 1,000 pounds of trusses to the Brooklyn Bridge?
(a) To support rush hour traffic.
(b) To support airplanes, should they need to land unexpectedly.
(c) To support the Brooklyn marathon.
(d) To support trains.
8. How much deeper are the caissons on the Manhattan side of the bridge than on the Brooklyn side?
(a) They are the same depth.
(b) Twice as deep.
(c) Four times as deep.
(d) Three times as deep.
9. How many miles of wire are held inside each drum?
(a) Ten miles.
(b) Five miles.
(c) Eight miles.
(d) Three miles.
10. Who writes Roebling's letter of resignation from the bridge project?
(a) Emily Roebling.
(b) Ferdinand Roebling.
(c) Washington Roebling.
(d) Charles Roebling.
11. Who is Seth Low?
(a) Brooklyn Governor.
(b) New York Mayor.
(c) Brooklyn Mayor.
(d) New York Governor.
12. How old is Emily Warren when she marries Washington Roebling?
13. Which of the following animals does Dr. Smith perform tests on in the caissons, searching for a cure for the Bends?
14. How many people gather to watch the first cable car cross the East River?
15. Which of the following subjects is Emily Warren most interested in as a child?
Short Answer Questions
1. How much is the wire contract valued at?
2. How long are the shifts while digging the caissons on the Manhattan side of the bridge?
3. As the bridge nears completion, how do young trustees feel about Roebling?
4. How much of the Brooklyn Bridge's construction costs is New York City expected to pay?
5. How many anchor bars hold the Brooklyn Bridge together?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)