|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the New York caisson is filled, how many weeks of vacation does Roebling take from the bridge project?
(a) Four weeks.
(b) Roebling doesn't take a vacation.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Six weeks.
2. Which newspaper sticks by Hewitt's projections for the wire contract, even though he is not an engineer?
(a) The Herald.
(b) The Times.
(c) The Eagle.
(d) The Tribune.
3. How much of the Brooklyn Bridge's construction costs is New York City expected to pay?
(c) None of it.
(d) All of it.
4. How old is Washington Roebling at the completion of the Brooklyn Bridge?
5. Which of the following is NOT a symptom of the bends in workers?
(a) Shriveled fingers.
(b) Joint pains.
6. Which of the following is NOT a process each wire coil must go through to be strung from the bridge?
(a) It must be dripped in oil.
(b) It must be weighed.
(c) It must be spliced.
(d) It must be galvanized.
7. As the bridge nears completion, how do young trustees feel about Roebling?
(a) They don't know who he is.
(b) They are apathetic to him.
(c) They find him annoying.
(d) They imagine him as a god-like figure.
8. How many tons of wire are needed to suspend the Brooklyn Bridge?
(a) 56 tons.
(b) 120 tons.
(c) 10 tons.
(d) 78 tons.
9. How does Murphy die?
(a) From old age.
(b) From pneumonia.
(c) In a ferry accident.
(d) In an automobile crash.
10. What is the weather like on the day the Brooklyn Bridge opens?
11. Which of the following animals does Dr. Smith perform tests on in the caissons, searching for a cure for the Bends?
12. What false rumor regarding Roebling is spread through New York papers during his time in Trenton?
(a) That he is in a coma.
(b) That he is paralyzed.
(c) That he has died.
(d) That he has gone insane.
13. Which of the following is NOT a modern technology invented during the time Roebling worked on the Great Bridge?
(a) Modern Plumbing.
(d) Electric Lighting.
14. Which of the following is another name for "The Bends?"
(a) Bridge disease.
(b) Caisson disease.
(c) Roebling disease.
(d) Tunnel disease.
15. Which of the following is NOT a color used in the decoration scheme for the bridge's celebration?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following subjects is Emily Warren most interested in as a child?
2. How old is the Long Island boy who volunteers to be the first person to cross the bridge?
3. What does Seth Low's father do for a living?
4. Who demands that all committee members be banned from entering their companies into the wire contract competition?
5. When the cable car successfully travels from Brooklyn to Manhattan, what do the newspapers dub the journey?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)