|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long are the shifts while digging the caissons on the Manhattan side of the bridge?
(a) Four hours.
(b) Two hours.
(c) Six hours.
(d) Eight hours.
2. Which of the following is NOT a color used in the decoration scheme for the bridge's celebration?
3. How much deeper are the caissons on the Manhattan side of the bridge than on the Brooklyn side?
(a) Four times as deep.
(b) Three times as deep.
(c) Twice as deep.
(d) They are the same depth.
4. What governmental position does business owner Tilden have when he competes for the lucrative wire contract in the bridge project?
(b) Attorney General.
5. Who demands that all committee members be banned from entering their companies into the wire contract competition?
6. Which newspaper coins the term "The Gigantic Spinning Machine?"
(a) The Times.
(b) The Tribune.
(c) The Eagle.
(d) The Herald.
7. How much is the wire contract valued at?
(b) $10 million.
(c) $1 million.
8. What does "The Heroic Mode" promise to cure?
(a) The bends.
(c) Weak metal frames.
9. How does Murphy die?
(a) From pneumonia.
(b) In an automobile crash.
(c) In a ferry accident.
(d) From old age.
10. Which President is in office when the St Louis bridge is completed, and is cited in newspapers as Eads' "Old friend"?
(a) President Grant.
(b) President Adams.
(c) President Jackson.
(d) President Carter.
11. Which of the following is NOT a weather that slows down the spinning process on the bridge?
12. Which of the following characters is NOT one of Emily's neighbors on Columbia Heights?
(a) Moses Beech.
(c) Henry Bowen.
(d) Demas Barns.
13. How many anchor bars hold the Brooklyn Bridge together?
14. Which of the following animals does Dr. Smith perform tests on in the caissons, searching for a cure for the Bends?
15. What is the name of the company that wins the wire contract for the Brooklyn Bridge?
(a) The New York Wire.
(b) Roebling and Sons.
(c) Wires R Us.
(d) Chrome Steel Company.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Emily Warren when she marries Washington Roebling?
2. How many companies bid for the lucrative wire contract?
3. Which of the following is NOT a symptom of the bends in workers?
4. What part of the Brooklyn Bridge does Hildebrand design?
5. Who is Seth Low?
This section contains 391 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)