|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a symptom of the bends in workers?
(b) Joint pains.
(c) Shriveled fingers.
2. What is the name of the day people celebrated the completion of the Brooklyn Bridge?
(a) "Bridge Day."
(b) "Roebling's Day."
(c) "The Day of the Great Bridge."
(d) "The People's Day."
3. Which of the following is another name for "The Bends?"
(a) Caisson disease.
(b) Roebling disease.
(c) Bridge disease.
(d) Tunnel disease.
4. Who is Seth Low?
(a) New York Governor.
(b) New York Mayor.
(c) Brooklyn Governor.
(d) Brooklyn Mayor.
5. How much of the Brooklyn Bridge's construction costs is New York City expected to pay?
(b) None of it.
(d) All of it.
6. How fast will the cable cars that travel the Brooklyn Bridge travel?
(a) 20-40 mph.
(b) 30-50 mph.
(c) 50-70 mph.
(d) 60-80 mph.
7. In total, how much does the Brooklyn Bridge cost to build?
(a) $20 million.
(b) $10 million.
(c) $15 million.
(d) $5 million.
8. Which of the following is NOT a process each wire coil must go through to be strung from the bridge?
(a) It must be weighed.
(b) It must be galvanized.
(c) It must be spliced.
(d) It must be dripped in oil.
9. When the cable car successfully travels from Brooklyn to Manhattan, what do the newspapers dub the journey?
(a) The Perfect Project.
(b) The Perfect Passage.
(c) The Perfect Pandemonium.
(d) The Perfect Promise.
10. Where are the handles on the workers' temporary foot bridge?
(a) At shoulder level.
(b) At knee level.
(c) At chest level.
(d) At hip level.
11. Why does Henry Beers attempt to shut down production on the Brooklyn Bridge?
(a) He says it is an eyesore.
(b) He says it is a waste of money.
(c) He says it is too dangerous.
(d) He says the public is no longer interested in it.
12. How many photographers are hired to capture the opening of the Brooklyn Bridge.
13. Which of the following elements is absorbed into workers' bloodstreams, forming bubbles that keep oxygen from reaching the tissues?
(a) Carbon Dioxide.
14. After the New York caisson is filled, how many weeks of vacation does Roebling take from the bridge project?
(a) Four weeks.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Six weeks.
(d) Roebling doesn't take a vacation.
15. How long does Roebling spend in Trenton at the advice of his doctors?
(a) 3 days.
(b) 3 months.
(c) 3 weeks.
(d) 3 years.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is chosen to ride in the first cable car to ever cross the East River?
2. How long does it take the cable car to cross the East River?
3. In what country is Tweed finally arrested?
4. Which newspaper coins the term "The Gigantic Spinning Machine?"
5. Which contract for the Brooklyn Bridge is awarded to the corrupt Haighs?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)