|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much of the Brooklyn Bridge's construction costs is New York City expected to pay?
(c) All of it.
(d) None of it.
2. What is the name of the company that wins the wire contract for the Brooklyn Bridge?
(a) Roebling and Sons.
(b) The New York Wire.
(c) Chrome Steel Company.
(d) Wires R Us.
3. What is the nickname of New York Mayor John Kelly?
(a) "Honest John."
(b) "Wild John."
(c) "Kind John."
(d) "Crazy John."
4. How many anchor bars hold the Brooklyn Bridge together?
5. What is Theodore Cooper hired to investigate at the bridge site?
(a) The iron superstructure.
(b) The suspension wires.
(c) The caissons.
(d) The workers' health.
6. While on strike, how much do the workers demand for a four-hour shift, to return to work?
7. How long are the shifts while digging the caissons on the Manhattan side of the bridge?
(a) Eight hours.
(b) Six hours.
(c) Four hours.
(d) Two hours.
8. Which system does Smith claim is most affected by the bends?
(a) The nervous system.
(b) The auditory system.
(c) The digestive system.
(d) The circulatory system.
9. Which of the following is NOT a symptom of the bends in workers?
(a) Shriveled fingers.
(c) Joint pains.
10. Which of the following subjects is Emily Warren most interested in as a child?
11. When the cable car successfully travels from Brooklyn to Manhattan, what do the newspapers dub the journey?
(a) The Perfect Pandemonium.
(b) The Perfect Project.
(c) The Perfect Promise.
(d) The Perfect Passage.
12. In a glowing report in "The Eagle" about bridge construction, who is the only member of the project management left out of the article?
13. In what country is Tweed finally arrested?
14. What false rumor regarding Roebling is spread through New York papers during his time in Trenton?
(a) That he is paralyzed.
(b) That he has died.
(c) That he is in a coma.
(d) That he has gone insane.
15. Where are the handles on the workers' temporary foot bridge?
(a) At chest level.
(b) At hip level.
(c) At knee level.
(d) At shoulder level.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Seth Low?
2. Which state does Gouverneur Kemble (G.K.) map while he is a teenager?
3. How old is the Long Island boy who volunteers to be the first person to cross the bridge?
4. How many miles of wire are held inside each drum?
5. Why does Roebling want to add 1,000 pounds of trusses to the Brooklyn Bridge?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)