|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much deeper are the caissons on the Manhattan side of the bridge than on the Brooklyn side?
(a) Twice as deep.
(b) Four times as deep.
(c) Three times as deep.
(d) They are the same depth.
2. How many photographers are hired to capture the opening of the Brooklyn Bridge.
3. Which of the following is NOT a process each wire coil must go through to be strung from the bridge?
(a) It must be weighed.
(b) It must be galvanized.
(c) It must be spliced.
(d) It must be dripped in oil.
4. What governmental position does business owner Tilden have when he competes for the lucrative wire contract in the bridge project?
(b) Attorney General.
5. How old is Washington Roebling at the completion of the Brooklyn Bridge?
6. In a glowing report in "The Eagle" about bridge construction, who is the only member of the project management left out of the article?
7. Which newspaper coins the term "The Gigantic Spinning Machine?"
(a) The Herald.
(b) The Eagle.
(c) The Times.
(d) The Tribune.
8. Which state does Gouverneur Kemble (G.K.) map while he is a teenager?
(d) New Mexico.
9. Which of the following is another name for "The Bends?"
(a) Caisson disease.
(b) Roebling disease.
(c) Tunnel disease.
(d) Bridge disease.
10. In total, how much does the Brooklyn Bridge cost to build?
(a) $15 million.
(b) $20 million.
(c) $10 million.
(d) $5 million.
11. How fast will the cable cars that travel the Brooklyn Bridge travel?
(a) 30-50 mph.
(b) 50-70 mph.
(c) 20-40 mph.
(d) 60-80 mph.
12. Why does Roebling want to add 1,000 pounds of trusses to the Brooklyn Bridge?
(a) To support rush hour traffic.
(b) To support airplanes, should they need to land unexpectedly.
(c) To support the Brooklyn marathon.
(d) To support trains.
13. Which of the following is NOT a weather that slows down the spinning process on the bridge?
14. How many miles of wire are held inside each drum?
(a) Five miles.
(b) Ten miles.
(c) Three miles.
(d) Eight miles.
15. Which of the following animals does Dr. Smith perform tests on in the caissons, searching for a cure for the Bends?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following elements is absorbed into workers' bloodstreams, forming bubbles that keep oxygen from reaching the tissues?
2. What is the weather like on the day the Brooklyn Bridge opens?
3. Who writes Roebling's letter of resignation from the bridge project?
4. Which of the following characters does NOT give a speech at the opening of the Brooklyn Bridge?
5. What river does Emily Warren grow up on?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)