|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the cable car successfully travels from Brooklyn to Manhattan, what do the newspapers dub the journey?
(a) The Perfect Project.
(b) The Perfect Pandemonium.
(c) The Perfect Promise.
(d) The Perfect Passage.
2. Which of the following subjects is Emily Warren most interested in as a child?
3. How many companies bid for the lucrative wire contract?
4. Which of the following characters is NOT one of Emily's neighbors on Columbia Heights?
(a) Moses Beech.
(b) Demas Barns.
(c) Henry Bowen.
5. What is the name of the company that wins the wire contract for the Brooklyn Bridge?
(a) Wires R Us.
(b) The New York Wire.
(c) Roebling and Sons.
(d) Chrome Steel Company.
6. What governmental position does business owner Tilden have when he competes for the lucrative wire contract in the bridge project?
(d) Attorney General.
7. What does "The Heroic Mode" promise to cure?
(b) The bends.
(d) Weak metal frames.
8. Which of the following men would be most susceptible to the Bends in Dr. Smith's study?
(a) Underweight men.
(b) Overweight men.
(c) Men who smoke.
(d) Men from minority backgrounds.
9. Why does Roebling want to add 1,000 pounds of trusses to the Brooklyn Bridge?
(a) To support trains.
(b) To support rush hour traffic.
(c) To support the Brooklyn marathon.
(d) To support airplanes, should they need to land unexpectedly.
10. What does Seth Low's father do for a living?
(a) He is a silk manufacturer.
(b) He is a soy farmer.
(c) He is a cherry picker.
(d) He is a steel engineer.
11. Which of the following is another name for "The Bends?"
(a) Tunnel disease.
(b) Roebling disease.
(c) Bridge disease.
(d) Caisson disease.
12. How long does Roebling spend in Trenton at the advice of his doctors?
(a) 3 months.
(b) 3 years.
(c) 3 weeks.
(d) 3 days.
13. Which of the following is NOT a modern technology invented during the time Roebling worked on the Great Bridge?
(b) Modern Plumbing.
(c) Electric Lighting.
14. How long are the shifts while digging the caissons on the Manhattan side of the bridge?
(a) Six hours.
(b) Eight hours.
(c) Two hours.
(d) Four hours.
15. What is the name of the worker who dies from the bends within a half hour of being down in the caisson?
(a) Thomas O'Mally.
(b) Peter Frank.
(c) Francis Bender.
(d) John Myers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the weather like on the day the Brooklyn Bridge opens?
2. How far away is Roebling's new house in Columbia Ridge from the bridge?
3. Which of the following is NOT a symptom of the bends in workers?
4. How many tons of bad wire did Haigh use to build the Brooklyn Bridge before being caught?
5. How is Blake killed?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)