|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following characters does NOT give a speech at the opening of the Brooklyn Bridge?
2. In a glowing report in "The Eagle" about bridge construction, who is the only member of the project management left out of the article?
3. What is Theodore Cooper hired to investigate at the bridge site?
(a) The workers' health.
(b) The iron superstructure.
(c) The suspension wires.
(d) The caissons.
4. Why does Henry Beers attempt to shut down production on the Brooklyn Bridge?
(a) He says the public is no longer interested in it.
(b) He says it is too dangerous.
(c) He says it is a waste of money.
(d) He says it is an eyesore.
5. How long are the shifts while digging the caissons on the Manhattan side of the bridge?
(a) Four hours.
(b) Two hours.
(c) Six hours.
(d) Eight hours.
6. How many tons of bad wire did Haigh use to build the Brooklyn Bridge before being caught?
(a) 50 tons.
(b) 300 tons.
(c) 500 tons.
(d) 100 tons.
7. Which of the following is NOT a color used in the decoration scheme for the bridge's celebration?
8. What is the nickname of New York Mayor John Kelly?
(a) "Crazy John."
(b) "Wild John."
(c) "Honest John."
(d) "Kind John."
9. How far away is Roebling's new house in Columbia Ridge from the bridge?
(a) 25 miles.
(b) 50 miles.
(c) Less than a mile.
(d) 10 miles.
10. Which state does Gouverneur Kemble (G.K.) map while he is a teenager?
(a) New Mexico.
11. Where are the handles on the workers' temporary foot bridge?
(a) At knee level.
(b) At hip level.
(c) At shoulder level.
(d) At chest level.
12. How much of the Brooklyn Bridge's construction costs is New York City expected to pay?
(a) All of it.
(c) None of it.
13. What is the name of the company that wins the wire contract for the Brooklyn Bridge?
(a) Chrome Steel Company.
(b) The New York Wire.
(c) Roebling and Sons.
(d) Wires R Us.
14. How many companies bid for the lucrative wire contract?
15. What part of the Brooklyn Bridge does Hildebrand design?
(a) The archway.
(b) The towers.
(c) The caissons.
(d) The footbridge.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who demands that all committee members be banned from entering their companies into the wire contract competition?
2. Which of the following elements is absorbed into workers' bloodstreams, forming bubbles that keep oxygen from reaching the tissues?
3. By what year does Murphy predict the bridge will be complete?
4. In what country is Tweed finally arrested?
5. When the cable car successfully travels from Brooklyn to Manhattan, what do the newspapers dub the journey?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)