|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What part of the Brooklyn Bridge does Hildebrand design?
(a) The towers.
(b) The archway.
(c) The footbridge.
(d) The caissons.
2. Which newspaper coins the term "The Gigantic Spinning Machine?"
(a) The Tribune.
(b) The Eagle.
(c) The Herald.
(d) The Times.
3. How many companies bid for the lucrative wire contract?
4. On the day of its opening, at what time is the Brooklyn Bridge illuminated?
(a) 12:00 noon.
(b) 12:00 midnight.
(c) 7:00 a.m.
(d) 5:00 p.m.
5. What is the name of the day people celebrated the completion of the Brooklyn Bridge?
(a) "Bridge Day."
(b) "Roebling's Day."
(c) "The Day of the Great Bridge."
(d) "The People's Day."
6. How long are the shifts while digging the caissons on the Manhattan side of the bridge?
(a) Eight hours.
(b) Two hours.
(c) Six hours.
(d) Four hours.
7. Which state does Gouverneur Kemble (G.K.) map while he is a teenager?
(c) New Mexico.
8. How far away is Roebling's new house in Columbia Ridge from the bridge?
(a) 10 miles.
(b) 25 miles.
(c) 50 miles.
(d) Less than a mile.
9. In a glowing report in "The Eagle" about bridge construction, who is the only member of the project management left out of the article?
10. Which of the following is NOT a process each wire coil must go through to be strung from the bridge?
(a) It must be weighed.
(b) It must be dripped in oil.
(c) It must be spliced.
(d) It must be galvanized.
11. How long does Roebling spend in Trenton at the advice of his doctors?
(a) 3 months.
(b) 3 years.
(c) 3 days.
(d) 3 weeks.
12. Which of the following is another name for "The Bends?"
(a) Tunnel disease.
(b) Caisson disease.
(c) Bridge disease.
(d) Roebling disease.
13. Why does Henry Beers attempt to shut down production on the Brooklyn Bridge?
(a) He says it is too dangerous.
(b) He says it is a waste of money.
(c) He says the public is no longer interested in it.
(d) He says it is an eyesore.
14. Which of the following is NOT a modern technology invented during the time Roebling worked on the Great Bridge?
(a) Modern Plumbing.
(b) Electric Lighting.
15. How many tons of wire are needed to suspend the Brooklyn Bridge?
(a) 120 tons.
(b) 56 tons.
(c) 78 tons.
(d) 10 tons.
Short Answer Questions
1. During what month of the year is the first cable car sent across the East River?
2. How many photographers are hired to capture the opening of the Brooklyn Bridge.
3. What does "The Heroic Mode" promise to cure?
4. What river does Emily Warren grow up on?
5. Which of the following is NOT a color used in the decoration scheme for the bridge's celebration?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)