|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much deeper are the caissons on the Manhattan side of the bridge than on the Brooklyn side?
(a) They are the same depth.
(b) Twice as deep.
(c) Four times as deep.
(d) Three times as deep.
2. What is the weather like on the day the Brooklyn Bridge opens?
3. Which of the following is NOT a symptom of the bends in workers?
(a) Shriveled fingers.
(c) Joint pains.
4. Which of the following is NOT a color used in the decoration scheme for the bridge's celebration?
5. What is the name of the day people celebrated the completion of the Brooklyn Bridge?
(a) "The Day of the Great Bridge."
(b) "Bridge Day."
(c) "The People's Day."
(d) "Roebling's Day."
6. Who is chosen to ride in the first cable car to ever cross the East River?
7. How many people gather to watch the first cable car cross the East River?
8. As the bridge nears completion, how do young trustees feel about Roebling?
(a) They are apathetic to him.
(b) They don't know who he is.
(c) They imagine him as a god-like figure.
(d) They find him annoying.
9. How does Murphy die?
(a) From old age.
(b) From pneumonia.
(c) In a ferry accident.
(d) In an automobile crash.
10. How old is the Long Island boy who volunteers to be the first person to cross the bridge?
11. By what year does Murphy predict the bridge will be complete?
12. Which of the following is NOT a modern technology invented during the time Roebling worked on the Great Bridge?
(a) Electric Lighting.
(c) Modern Plumbing.
13. Which of the following subjects is Emily Warren most interested in as a child?
14. What is the name of the company that wins the wire contract for the Brooklyn Bridge?
(a) The New York Wire.
(b) Chrome Steel Company.
(c) Roebling and Sons.
(d) Wires R Us.
15. What future event is discussed by the old woman who retrospectively remembers the opening of the Brooklyn Bridge?
(a) The completion of the Suaz Canal.
(b) The moon landing.
(c) The invention of the Internet.
(d) The construction of the Great Wall of China.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following adjectives does NOT describe Emily Warren?
2. What does "The Heroic Mode" promise to cure?
3. Who writes Roebling's letter of resignation from the bridge project?
4. Where are the handles on the workers' temporary foot bridge?
5. Of the following commuters, which has to pay the lowest bridge toll?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)