|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By what year does Murphy predict the bridge will be complete?
2. Of the following commuters, which has to pay the lowest bridge toll?
(a) Sheep and hog drivers.
(c) Horse drivers.
3. Which system does Smith claim is most affected by the bends?
(a) The digestive system.
(b) The auditory system.
(c) The circulatory system.
(d) The nervous system.
4. Which of the following is another name for "The Bends?"
(a) Caisson disease.
(b) Bridge disease.
(c) Roebling disease.
(d) Tunnel disease.
5. Which of Roebling's strange behaviors lead trustees to question his mental capabilities?
(a) He dreses in women's clothing.
(b) He refuses to show up for meetings.
(c) He drinks heavily.
(d) He laughs through newspaper interviews.
6. Why does Henry Beers attempt to shut down production on the Brooklyn Bridge?
(a) He says it is too dangerous.
(b) He says it is a waste of money.
(c) He says it is an eyesore.
(d) He says the public is no longer interested in it.
7. How long does it take the cable car to cross the East River?
(a) Twelve minutes.
(b) Nineteen minutes.
(c) Twenty-one minutes.
(d) Seven minutes.
8. How many tons of wire are needed to suspend the Brooklyn Bridge?
(a) 78 tons.
(b) 10 tons.
(c) 120 tons.
(d) 56 tons.
9. What river does Emily Warren grow up on?
(a) The Hudson river.
(b) The East river.
(c) The St Louis river.
(d) The Mississippi river.
10. What is the weather like on the day the Brooklyn Bridge opens?
11. What is the nickname of New York Mayor John Kelly?
(a) "Wild John."
(b) "Honest John."
(c) "Crazy John."
(d) "Kind John."
12. How fast will the cable cars that travel the Brooklyn Bridge travel?
(a) 30-50 mph.
(b) 50-70 mph.
(c) 20-40 mph.
(d) 60-80 mph.
13. Who is chosen to ride in the first cable car to ever cross the East River?
14. Why does Roebling want to add 1,000 pounds of trusses to the Brooklyn Bridge?
(a) To support rush hour traffic.
(b) To support airplanes, should they need to land unexpectedly.
(c) To support trains.
(d) To support the Brooklyn marathon.
15. What governmental position does business owner Tilden have when he competes for the lucrative wire contract in the bridge project?
(b) Attorney General.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many companies bid for the lucrative wire contract?
2. Which of the following adjectives does NOT describe Emily Warren?
3. In total, how much does the Brooklyn Bridge cost to build?
4. How many anchor bars hold the Brooklyn Bridge together?
5. While on strike, how much do the workers demand for a four-hour shift, to return to work?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)