|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does it take the cable car to cross the East River?
(a) Nineteen minutes.
(b) Twelve minutes.
(c) Twenty-one minutes.
(d) Seven minutes.
2. What is the nickname of New York Mayor John Kelly?
(a) "Honest John."
(b) "Kind John."
(c) "Wild John."
(d) "Crazy John."
3. How is Blake killed?
(a) He is hit by a snapped wire.
(b) He drowns.
(c) He falls through his safety harness.
(d) He dies from "the bends".
4. Which of the following elements is absorbed into workers' bloodstreams, forming bubbles that keep oxygen from reaching the tissues?
(b) Carbon Dioxide.
5. In what country is Tweed finally arrested?
6. What is the name of the worker who dies from the bends within a half hour of being down in the caisson?
(a) John Myers.
(b) Peter Frank.
(c) Francis Bender.
(d) Thomas O'Mally.
7. What governmental position does business owner Tilden have when he competes for the lucrative wire contract in the bridge project?
(a) Attorney General.
8. Where does the Roebling family rent a cottage to get away from the stress of the Brooklyn Bridge?
9. Which of the following characters does NOT give a speech at the opening of the Brooklyn Bridge?
10. What does "The Heroic Mode" promise to cure?
(b) Weak metal frames.
(c) The bends.
11. Where are the handles on the workers' temporary foot bridge?
(a) At shoulder level.
(b) At hip level.
(c) At knee level.
(d) At chest level.
12. Which of the following is another name for "The Bends?"
(a) Caisson disease.
(b) Bridge disease.
(c) Roebling disease.
(d) Tunnel disease.
13. What is the name of the day people celebrated the completion of the Brooklyn Bridge?
(a) "The People's Day."
(b) "The Day of the Great Bridge."
(c) "Bridge Day."
(d) "Roebling's Day."
14. Who writes Roebling's letter of resignation from the bridge project?
(a) Charles Roebling.
(b) Ferdinand Roebling.
(c) Emily Roebling.
(d) Washington Roebling.
15. Who demands that all committee members be banned from entering their companies into the wire contract competition?
Short Answer Questions
1. How long are the shifts while digging the caissons on the Manhattan side of the bridge?
2. How old is the Long Island boy who volunteers to be the first person to cross the bridge?
3. Which of the following men would be most susceptible to the Bends in Dr. Smith's study?
4. How many photographers are hired to capture the opening of the Brooklyn Bridge.
5. Which newspaper coins the term "The Gigantic Spinning Machine?"
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)