|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During what month of the year is the first cable car sent across the East River?
2. In total, how much does the Brooklyn Bridge cost to build?
(a) $15 million.
(b) $10 million.
(c) $20 million.
(d) $5 million.
3. What is the name of the day people celebrated the completion of the Brooklyn Bridge?
(a) "Bridge Day."
(b) "Roebling's Day."
(c) "The Day of the Great Bridge."
(d) "The People's Day."
4. As the bridge nears completion, how do young trustees feel about Roebling?
(a) They find him annoying.
(b) They are apathetic to him.
(c) They imagine him as a god-like figure.
(d) They don't know who he is.
5. Which of the following is NOT a color used in the decoration scheme for the bridge's celebration?
6. Which contract for the Brooklyn Bridge is awarded to the corrupt Haighs?
7. Who is chosen to ride in the first cable car to ever cross the East River?
8. How much of the Brooklyn Bridge's construction costs is New York City expected to pay?
(a) All of it.
(d) None of it.
9. What does "The Heroic Mode" promise to cure?
(a) The bends.
(c) Weak metal frames.
10. Which of the following men would be most susceptible to the Bends in Dr. Smith's study?
(a) Men from minority backgrounds.
(b) Underweight men.
(c) Men who smoke.
(d) Overweight men.
11. How fast will the cable cars that travel the Brooklyn Bridge travel?
(a) 30-50 mph.
(b) 50-70 mph.
(c) 60-80 mph.
(d) 20-40 mph.
12. Of the following commuters, which has to pay the lowest bridge toll?
(c) Sheep and hog drivers.
(d) Horse drivers.
13. Which of the following elements is absorbed into workers' bloodstreams, forming bubbles that keep oxygen from reaching the tissues?
(d) Carbon Dioxide.
14. How many companies bid for the lucrative wire contract?
15. How much is the wire contract valued at?
(a) $10 million.
(d) $1 million.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Emily Warren when she marries Washington Roebling?
2. Who writes Roebling's letter of resignation from the bridge project?
3. Which of Roebling's strange behaviors lead trustees to question his mental capabilities?
4. What part of the Brooklyn Bridge does Hildebrand design?
5. What is the name of the worker who dies from the bends within a half hour of being down in the caisson?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)