|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is the Long Island boy who volunteers to be the first person to cross the bridge?
2. How much deeper are the caissons on the Manhattan side of the bridge than on the Brooklyn side?
(a) Four times as deep.
(b) They are the same depth.
(c) Three times as deep.
(d) Twice as deep.
3. Who writes Roebling's letter of resignation from the bridge project?
(a) Ferdinand Roebling.
(b) Charles Roebling.
(c) Washington Roebling.
(d) Emily Roebling.
4. How long does Roebling spend in Trenton at the advice of his doctors?
(a) 3 days.
(b) 3 years.
(c) 3 months.
(d) 3 weeks.
5. How long does it take the cable car to cross the East River?
(a) Twenty-one minutes.
(b) Nineteen minutes.
(c) Twelve minutes.
(d) Seven minutes.
6. What is the weather like on the day the Brooklyn Bridge opens?
7. Which of the following subjects is Emily Warren most interested in as a child?
8. What is the name of the worker who dies from the bends within a half hour of being down in the caisson?
(a) Peter Frank.
(b) Thomas O'Mally.
(c) Francis Bender.
(d) John Myers.
9. What false rumor regarding Roebling is spread through New York papers during his time in Trenton?
(a) That he is paralyzed.
(b) That he has died.
(c) That he is in a coma.
(d) That he has gone insane.
10. Which of the following is NOT a symptom of the bends in workers?
(b) Shriveled fingers.
(d) Joint pains.
11. In a glowing report in "The Eagle" about bridge construction, who is the only member of the project management left out of the article?
12. As the bridge nears completion, how do young trustees feel about Roebling?
(a) They find him annoying.
(b) They don't know who he is.
(c) They are apathetic to him.
(d) They imagine him as a god-like figure.
13. How many photographers are hired to capture the opening of the Brooklyn Bridge.
14. Where are the handles on the workers' temporary foot bridge?
(a) At hip level.
(b) At knee level.
(c) At chest level.
(d) At shoulder level.
15. Which of the following elements is absorbed into workers' bloodstreams, forming bubbles that keep oxygen from reaching the tissues?
(b) Carbon Dioxide.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many anchor bars hold the Brooklyn Bridge together?
2. How old is Washington Roebling at the completion of the Brooklyn Bridge?
3. Why does Roebling want to add 1,000 pounds of trusses to the Brooklyn Bridge?
4. How many miles of wire are held inside each drum?
5. What does "The Heroic Mode" promise to cure?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)