|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following adjectives does NOT describe Emily Warren?
2. Which of the following elements is absorbed into workers' bloodstreams, forming bubbles that keep oxygen from reaching the tissues?
(c) Carbon Dioxide.
3. What river does Emily Warren grow up on?
(a) The East river.
(b) The Mississippi river.
(c) The Hudson river.
(d) The St Louis river.
4. How far away is Roebling's new house in Columbia Ridge from the bridge?
(a) 10 miles.
(b) Less than a mile.
(c) 50 miles.
(d) 25 miles.
5. Which of the following is NOT a modern technology invented during the time Roebling worked on the Great Bridge?
(a) Modern Plumbing.
(c) Electric Lighting.
6. Who writes Roebling's letter of resignation from the bridge project?
(a) Ferdinand Roebling.
(b) Emily Roebling.
(c) Washington Roebling.
(d) Charles Roebling.
7. What part of the Brooklyn Bridge does Hildebrand design?
(a) The towers.
(b) The footbridge.
(c) The archway.
(d) The caissons.
8. What governmental position does business owner Tilden have when he competes for the lucrative wire contract in the bridge project?
(d) Attorney General.
9. On the day of its opening, at what time is the Brooklyn Bridge illuminated?
(a) 12:00 midnight.
(b) 7:00 a.m.
(c) 12:00 noon.
(d) 5:00 p.m.
10. By what year does Murphy predict the bridge will be complete?
11. How much of the Brooklyn Bridge's construction costs is New York City expected to pay?
(b) None of it.
(d) All of it.
12. In a glowing report in "The Eagle" about bridge construction, who is the only member of the project management left out of the article?
13. Which of the following men would be most susceptible to the Bends in Dr. Smith's study?
(a) Overweight men.
(b) Underweight men.
(c) Men who smoke.
(d) Men from minority backgrounds.
14. Why does Henry Beers attempt to shut down production on the Brooklyn Bridge?
(a) He says it is a waste of money.
(b) He says it is too dangerous.
(c) He says the public is no longer interested in it.
(d) He says it is an eyesore.
15. In what country is Tweed finally arrested?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many tons of bad wire did Haigh use to build the Brooklyn Bridge before being caught?
2. How much deeper are the caissons on the Manhattan side of the bridge than on the Brooklyn side?
3. After the New York caisson is filled, how many weeks of vacation does Roebling take from the bridge project?
4. While on strike, how much do the workers demand for a four-hour shift, to return to work?
5. How is Blake killed?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)