|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long are the shifts while digging the caissons on the Manhattan side of the bridge?
(a) Six hours.
(b) Four hours.
(c) Two hours.
(d) Eight hours.
2. How long does Roebling spend in Trenton at the advice of his doctors?
(a) 3 weeks.
(b) 3 days.
(c) 3 years.
(d) 3 months.
3. What is the name of the worker who dies from the bends within a half hour of being down in the caisson?
(a) Peter Frank.
(b) John Myers.
(c) Thomas O'Mally.
(d) Francis Bender.
4. What does "The Heroic Mode" promise to cure?
(a) Weak metal frames.
(c) The bends.
5. Which newspaper coins the term "The Gigantic Spinning Machine?"
(a) The Tribune.
(b) The Eagle.
(c) The Times.
(d) The Herald.
6. Who demands that all committee members be banned from entering their companies into the wire contract competition?
7. Which of the following is NOT a modern technology invented during the time Roebling worked on the Great Bridge?
(a) Electric Lighting.
(c) Modern Plumbing.
8. What is the name of the company that wins the wire contract for the Brooklyn Bridge?
(a) The New York Wire.
(b) Chrome Steel Company.
(c) Wires R Us.
(d) Roebling and Sons.
9. How much of the Brooklyn Bridge's construction costs is New York City expected to pay?
(a) All of it.
(b) None of it.
10. What part of the Brooklyn Bridge does Hildebrand design?
(a) The footbridge.
(b) The towers.
(c) The archway.
(d) The caissons.
11. What governmental position does business owner Tilden have when he competes for the lucrative wire contract in the bridge project?
(a) Attorney General.
12. Where does the Roebling family rent a cottage to get away from the stress of the Brooklyn Bridge?
13. How fast will the cable cars that travel the Brooklyn Bridge travel?
(a) 50-70 mph.
(b) 20-40 mph.
(c) 60-80 mph.
(d) 30-50 mph.
14. By what year does Murphy predict the bridge will be complete?
15. How many companies bid for the lucrative wire contract?
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Washington Roebling at the completion of the Brooklyn Bridge?
2. How many tons of wire are needed to suspend the Brooklyn Bridge?
3. Which of the following characters is NOT one of Emily's neighbors on Columbia Heights?
4. How old is Emily Warren when she marries Washington Roebling?
5. Which of the following elements is absorbed into workers' bloodstreams, forming bubbles that keep oxygen from reaching the tissues?
This section contains 392 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)