|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does it take the cable car to cross the East River?
(a) Nineteen minutes.
(b) Seven minutes.
(c) Twelve minutes.
(d) Twenty-one minutes.
2. What is the nickname of New York Mayor John Kelly?
(a) "Kind John."
(b) "Crazy John."
(c) "Wild John."
(d) "Honest John."
3. Which of the following is NOT a modern technology invented during the time Roebling worked on the Great Bridge?
(a) Modern Plumbing.
(b) Electric Lighting.
4. Which of the following characters is NOT one of Emily's neighbors on Columbia Heights?
(b) Moses Beech.
(c) Henry Bowen.
(d) Demas Barns.
5. Who writes Roebling's letter of resignation from the bridge project?
(a) Emily Roebling.
(b) Charles Roebling.
(c) Washington Roebling.
(d) Ferdinand Roebling.
6. Which newspaper coins the term "The Gigantic Spinning Machine?"
(a) The Times.
(b) The Tribune.
(c) The Herald.
(d) The Eagle.
7. How many tons of wire are needed to suspend the Brooklyn Bridge?
(a) 56 tons.
(b) 78 tons.
(c) 10 tons.
(d) 120 tons.
8. What does Seth Low's father do for a living?
(a) He is a soy farmer.
(b) He is a steel engineer.
(c) He is a silk manufacturer.
(d) He is a cherry picker.
9. How much deeper are the caissons on the Manhattan side of the bridge than on the Brooklyn side?
(a) They are the same depth.
(b) Four times as deep.
(c) Twice as deep.
(d) Three times as deep.
10. What river does Emily Warren grow up on?
(a) The Mississippi river.
(b) The Hudson river.
(c) The East river.
(d) The St Louis river.
11. Which of the following characters does NOT give a speech at the opening of the Brooklyn Bridge?
12. Which of the following subjects is Emily Warren most interested in as a child?
13. During what month of the year is the first cable car sent across the East River?
14. How far away is Roebling's new house in Columbia Ridge from the bridge?
(a) Less than a mile.
(b) 25 miles.
(c) 10 miles.
(d) 50 miles.
15. Which of the following is NOT a weather that slows down the spinning process on the bridge?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the day people celebrated the completion of the Brooklyn Bridge?
2. How old is the Long Island boy who volunteers to be the first person to cross the bridge?
3. How does Murphy die?
4. How many miles of wire are held inside each drum?
5. What false rumor regarding Roebling is spread through New York papers during his time in Trenton?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)