|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does it take the cable car to cross the East River?
(a) Twelve minutes.
(b) Twenty-one minutes.
(c) Nineteen minutes.
(d) Seven minutes.
2. How many tons of bad wire did Haigh use to build the Brooklyn Bridge before being caught?
(a) 50 tons.
(b) 500 tons.
(c) 300 tons.
(d) 100 tons.
3. Which of Roebling's strange behaviors lead trustees to question his mental capabilities?
(a) He refuses to show up for meetings.
(b) He dreses in women's clothing.
(c) He laughs through newspaper interviews.
(d) He drinks heavily.
4. In total, how much does the Brooklyn Bridge cost to build?
(a) $20 million.
(b) $5 million.
(c) $10 million.
(d) $15 million.
5. How much of the Brooklyn Bridge's construction costs is New York City expected to pay?
(a) All of it.
(b) None of it.
6. Which of the following animals does Dr. Smith perform tests on in the caissons, searching for a cure for the Bends?
7. What is Theodore Cooper hired to investigate at the bridge site?
(a) The workers' health.
(b) The iron superstructure.
(c) The caissons.
(d) The suspension wires.
8. How old is the Long Island boy who volunteers to be the first person to cross the bridge?
9. Who is chosen to ride in the first cable car to ever cross the East River?
10. How long does Roebling spend in Trenton at the advice of his doctors?
(a) 3 years.
(b) 3 weeks.
(c) 3 days.
(d) 3 months.
11. Which of the following is NOT a modern technology invented during the time Roebling worked on the Great Bridge?
(a) Electric Lighting.
(c) Modern Plumbing.
12. Who demands that all committee members be banned from entering their companies into the wire contract competition?
13. What is the weather like on the day the Brooklyn Bridge opens?
14. Which system does Smith claim is most affected by the bends?
(a) The nervous system.
(b) The circulatory system.
(c) The digestive system.
(d) The auditory system.
15. Where are the handles on the workers' temporary foot bridge?
(a) At hip level.
(b) At knee level.
(c) At shoulder level.
(d) At chest level.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a process each wire coil must go through to be strung from the bridge?
2. Which of the following men would be most susceptible to the Bends in Dr. Smith's study?
3. Which of the following is NOT a color used in the decoration scheme for the bridge's celebration?
4. How long are the shifts while digging the caissons on the Manhattan side of the bridge?
5. How does Murphy die?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)