|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Washington Roebling at the completion of the Brooklyn Bridge?
2. Which newspaper sticks by Hewitt's projections for the wire contract, even though he is not an engineer?
(a) The Herald.
(b) The Tribune.
(c) The Times.
(d) The Eagle.
3. On the day of its opening, at what time is the Brooklyn Bridge illuminated?
(a) 5:00 p.m.
(b) 7:00 a.m.
(c) 12:00 noon.
(d) 12:00 midnight.
4. Which of the following is NOT a process each wire coil must go through to be strung from the bridge?
(a) It must be spliced.
(b) It must be galvanized.
(c) It must be dripped in oil.
(d) It must be weighed.
5. Which system does Smith claim is most affected by the bends?
(a) The circulatory system.
(b) The auditory system.
(c) The nervous system.
(d) The digestive system.
6. Which of the following is NOT a color used in the decoration scheme for the bridge's celebration?
7. How long are the shifts while digging the caissons on the Manhattan side of the bridge?
(a) Eight hours.
(b) Two hours.
(c) Four hours.
(d) Six hours.
8. How many tons of bad wire did Haigh use to build the Brooklyn Bridge before being caught?
(a) 100 tons.
(b) 50 tons.
(c) 500 tons.
(d) 300 tons.
9. Which of the following animals does Dr. Smith perform tests on in the caissons, searching for a cure for the Bends?
10. Which of the following is NOT a symptom of the bends in workers?
(a) Shriveled fingers.
(c) Joint pains.
11. Where are the handles on the workers' temporary foot bridge?
(a) At knee level.
(b) At hip level.
(c) At chest level.
(d) At shoulder level.
12. How long does it take the cable car to cross the East River?
(a) Seven minutes.
(b) Nineteen minutes.
(c) Twelve minutes.
(d) Twenty-one minutes.
13. Which of Roebling's strange behaviors lead trustees to question his mental capabilities?
(a) He dreses in women's clothing.
(b) He drinks heavily.
(c) He laughs through newspaper interviews.
(d) He refuses to show up for meetings.
14. What does Seth Low's father do for a living?
(a) He is a steel engineer.
(b) He is a silk manufacturer.
(c) He is a cherry picker.
(d) He is a soy farmer.
15. How does Murphy die?
(a) From pneumonia.
(b) In a ferry accident.
(c) In an automobile crash.
(d) From old age.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the weather like on the day the Brooklyn Bridge opens?
2. What future event is discussed by the old woman who retrospectively remembers the opening of the Brooklyn Bridge?
3. Of the following commuters, which has to pay the lowest bridge toll?
4. Which of the following characters is NOT one of Emily's neighbors on Columbia Heights?
5. What is the name of the company that wins the wire contract for the Brooklyn Bridge?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)