|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which newspaper coins the term "The Gigantic Spinning Machine?"
(a) The Tribune.
(b) The Eagle.
(c) The Herald.
(d) The Times.
2. What does Seth Low's father do for a living?
(a) He is a cherry picker.
(b) He is a steel engineer.
(c) He is a silk manufacturer.
(d) He is a soy farmer.
3. What river does Emily Warren grow up on?
(a) The East river.
(b) The St Louis river.
(c) The Hudson river.
(d) The Mississippi river.
4. How old is Washington Roebling at the completion of the Brooklyn Bridge?
5. Which of the following is NOT a color used in the decoration scheme for the bridge's celebration?
6. What does "The Heroic Mode" promise to cure?
(b) Weak metal frames.
(c) The bends.
7. Who demands that all committee members be banned from entering their companies into the wire contract competition?
8. Why does Roebling want to add 1,000 pounds of trusses to the Brooklyn Bridge?
(a) To support rush hour traffic.
(b) To support the Brooklyn marathon.
(c) To support airplanes, should they need to land unexpectedly.
(d) To support trains.
9. How old is Emily Warren when she marries Washington Roebling?
10. What governmental position does business owner Tilden have when he competes for the lucrative wire contract in the bridge project?
(b) Attorney General.
11. Which of the following animals does Dr. Smith perform tests on in the caissons, searching for a cure for the Bends?
12. In a glowing report in "The Eagle" about bridge construction, who is the only member of the project management left out of the article?
13. On the day of its opening, at what time is the Brooklyn Bridge illuminated?
(a) 5:00 p.m.
(b) 12:00 noon.
(c) 12:00 midnight.
(d) 7:00 a.m.
14. Which of the following elements is absorbed into workers' bloodstreams, forming bubbles that keep oxygen from reaching the tissues?
(d) Carbon Dioxide.
15. During what month of the year is the first cable car sent across the East River?
Short Answer Questions
1. How much of the Brooklyn Bridge's construction costs is New York City expected to pay?
2. Who is Seth Low?
3. What is the weather like on the day the Brooklyn Bridge opens?
4. How does Murphy die?
5. As the bridge nears completion, how do young trustees feel about Roebling?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)