|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a process each wire coil must go through to be strung from the bridge?
(a) It must be spliced.
(b) It must be weighed.
(c) It must be galvanized.
(d) It must be dripped in oil.
2. When the cable car successfully travels from Brooklyn to Manhattan, what do the newspapers dub the journey?
(a) The Perfect Project.
(b) The Perfect Passage.
(c) The Perfect Pandemonium.
(d) The Perfect Promise.
3. By what year does Murphy predict the bridge will be complete?
4. Who is Seth Low?
(a) New York Mayor.
(b) Brooklyn Governor.
(c) Brooklyn Mayor.
(d) New York Governor.
5. What does Seth Low's father do for a living?
(a) He is a steel engineer.
(b) He is a cherry picker.
(c) He is a soy farmer.
(d) He is a silk manufacturer.
6. During what month of the year is the first cable car sent across the East River?
7. What is the name of the company that wins the wire contract for the Brooklyn Bridge?
(a) Roebling and Sons.
(b) The New York Wire.
(c) Wires R Us.
(d) Chrome Steel Company.
8. On the day of its opening, at what time is the Brooklyn Bridge illuminated?
(a) 12:00 noon.
(b) 5:00 p.m.
(c) 12:00 midnight.
(d) 7:00 a.m.
9. Which system does Smith claim is most affected by the bends?
(a) The digestive system.
(b) The nervous system.
(c) The circulatory system.
(d) The auditory system.
10. Of the following commuters, which has to pay the lowest bridge toll?
(a) Horse drivers.
(d) Sheep and hog drivers.
11. Which of the following adjectives does NOT describe Emily Warren?
12. How many anchor bars hold the Brooklyn Bridge together?
13. What future event is discussed by the old woman who retrospectively remembers the opening of the Brooklyn Bridge?
(a) The invention of the Internet.
(b) The construction of the Great Wall of China.
(c) The completion of the Suaz Canal.
(d) The moon landing.
14. How many tons of bad wire did Haigh use to build the Brooklyn Bridge before being caught?
(a) 100 tons.
(b) 500 tons.
(c) 50 tons.
(d) 300 tons.
15. How is Blake killed?
(a) He falls through his safety harness.
(b) He drowns.
(c) He dies from "the bends".
(d) He is hit by a snapped wire.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following subjects is Emily Warren most interested in as a child?
2. Which of the following animals does Dr. Smith perform tests on in the caissons, searching for a cure for the Bends?
3. What river does Emily Warren grow up on?
4. What false rumor regarding Roebling is spread through New York papers during his time in Trenton?
5. Which of the following is another name for "The Bends?"
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)