|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the public react to the working conditions Roebling's men endure in the caissons?
(a) They are fascinated.
(b) They are outraged.
(c) They are terrified.
(d) They are confused.
2. Which of the following descriptions best describes Brooklyn Mayor, Martin Kalbfleisch?
(a) Foul mouthed and hard drinking.
(b) Sweet tempered and morbidly obese.
(c) Tyranically conservative.
(d) Painfully shy and wire thin.
3. In what country is John Roebling born?
4. Where does Murphy graduate law school?
5. Which of the following is NOT a name Roebling's project carries at some point during its process?
(a) The New York Project.
(b) The Roebling Project.
(c) The Empire Project.
(d) The Spectacular Project.
6. Who is Washington Roebling named after?
(a) John's work colleague.
(b) His grandfather.
(c) John's best childhood friend.
(d) George Washington.
7. What is Washinton Roebling's nickname?
8. What are the New York aldermen nicknamed in the 1850s?
(a) The "Golden Parachutes."
(b) The "Forty Theives."
(c) The "Flying Dutchmen."
(d) The "Band of Horsemen."
9. What is the name of the lumber company that falls under suspicion of scandal?
(a) Stump and Saw.
(c) Saw and Mill.
(d) Gold Lumber.
10. For how many days does John Roebling suffer before he finally dies?
(a) 8 days.
(b) 33 days.
(c) 14 days.
(d) 21 days.
11. How much additional cost is incurred in order to widen the Brooklyn Bridge?
12. How many ferries commute between Manhattan and Brooklyn each day?
13. What are the giant boxes of compressed air used to anchor bridges called?
14. In what country does Washington study European bridges?
15. What is the name of the Brooklyn neighborhood where the elite live, overlooking the ocean?
(a) The Heights.
(b) The Cliffs.
(c) The Parlor.
(d) The Hamptons.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following newspapers does NOT print a scandalous article about Tweed in their pages?
2. How long did it take Roebling to build the Allegheny Bridge?
3. How many feet of additional width are added to the bridge in order to ensure two-way traffic?
4. Over what river is the first suspension bridge ever built?
5. How many pastors preach at John Roebling's funeral?
This section contains 355 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)