|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Washington Roebling feel about having to speak for his father at meetings?
(a) He feels somewhat nervous, but overcomes it.
(b) He feels completely terrified.
(c) He feels completely at ease.
(d) He feels utterly confused.
2. What is Washinton Roebling's nickname?
3. How many weeks vacation does Kingsley take after news of his scandal breaks out in the papers?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) Four weeks.
(c) Eight weeks.
(d) Six weeks.
4. Which of the following is NOT a job Kingsley works before becoming a fundraiser for the Brooklyn Bridge?
(a) Park cleaner.
(b) Bridge builder.
(c) Sewer drainer.
(d) Street paver.
5. What government position is Tweed running for when he falls from grace in the papers?
6. Where does Murphy graduate law school?
7. What do the Bridge committee think Washington is missing from his father's spirit?
(a) His creative vision.
(b) His leadership style.
(c) His strong arms.
(d) His commanding speech.
8. What are the New York aldermen nicknamed in the 1850s?
(a) The "Golden Parachutes."
(b) The "Band of Horsemen."
(c) The "Forty Theives."
(d) The "Flying Dutchmen."
9. Who is Washington Roebling named after?
(a) John's work colleague.
(b) John's best childhood friend.
(c) George Washington.
(d) His grandfather.
10. Which river in Pennsylvania does John famously carry the canal across?
(a) The Allegheney River.
(b) The Monongahela River
(c) The Ohio River.
(d) The Vaugn River.
11. In which city is "The Biggest Bridge in the World" constructed?
12. By the time Roebling's bridge is launched, how many of his workers have died on the job?
13. How does "The Genuine Language of America" feel about on the job casualties?
(a) That they are too frequent.
(b) That they are inevitable.
(c) That they do not exist.
(d) That they are avoidable.
14. Which of the following is NOT a term used to describe John Roebling by his fellow townsfolk?
(a) A hero.
(b) A free-thinker.
(c) An inventor.
(d) An artist.
15. What is the name of the party John joins after Johanna's death?
(a) The Bridge Party.
(b) The Party of Dreams.
(c) The Black Party.
(d) The Party of Mourning.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following poets is a supporter of Roebling's bridge project?
2. Which magazine publishes Roebling's thoughts about the East River?
3. Which of the following is NOT the name of one of John Roebling's sons?
4. Which of the following precautions is NOT installed by Roebling previous to the fire?
5. What is the name of Washington's wife?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)