|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what country does Washington study European bridges?
2. Who is Lucia Cooper?
(a) John's wife.
(b) John's daughter.
(c) John's sister.
(d) John's mother.
3. What type of business does John Roebling start from scratch?
(a) A wire business.
(b) A steel business.
(c) A glass business.
(d) A wood business.
4. How does Washington Roebling feel about having to speak for his father at meetings?
(a) He feels completely at ease.
(b) He feels utterly confused.
(c) He feels completely terrified.
(d) He feels somewhat nervous, but overcomes it.
5. Where is John working at the time of Johanna's death?
(a) In Cincinatti.
(b) In Chicago.
(c) In Pittsburgh.
(d) In Detroit.
6. What crushes John's feet, leading to his toes being amputated?
(a) A bicycle.
(b) A ferry.
(c) A train.
(d) An automobile.
7. How much additional cost is incurred in order to widen the Brooklyn Bridge?
8. What instrument does Washington play?
(a) The piano.
(b) The flute.
(c) The banjo.
(d) The harp.
9. Which of the following subjects does John Roebling study in school as a teenager?
10. What are the giant boxes of compressed air used to anchor bridges called?
11. How does the public react to the working conditions Roebling's men endure in the caissons?
(a) They are fascinated.
(b) They are terrified.
(c) They are outraged.
(d) They are confused.
12. Which of the following diseases eventually kills John Roebling?
13. What is the name of the park that commemorates the inception of the Brooklyn Bridge plan?
(a) Turtle Crossing Park.
(b) Squirrel Nest Park.
(c) Deer Valley Park.
(d) Owl Head Park.
14. What government position is Tweed running for when he falls from grace in the papers?
15. How many children does John and his wife Johanna have?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following poets is a supporter of Roebling's bridge project?
2. How long are the shifts Roebling's men endure on a daily basis?
3. How does Roebling respond to the scandal surrounding Kingsley?
4. What does John A. Roebling do for a living?
5. How long did it take Roebling to build the Allegheny Bridge?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)