|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which two substances are used to build the towers that hold the Brooklyn Bridge?
(a) Asphalt and Granite.
(b) Cement and Asphalt.
(c) Cement and Limestone.
(d) Granite and Limestone.
2. How long does it take Roebling to get his caissons into the water?
(a) Three months.
(b) Twelve months.
(c) Five months.
(d) Seven months.
3. How long is the bridge Roebling builds across the Niagara Falls?
(a) 1,700 feet.
(b) 800 feet.
(c) 1,200 feet.
(d) 500 feet.
4. What is the name of Washington's wife?
5. How many copies of the committee's formal approval of the Brooklyn Bridge are made and circulated?
6. At what river does James Eads decide to build a bridge, directly competing for press with Washington Roebling?
(b) St Louis.
7. What is the name of the affliction Roebling's workers suffer from after traveling deep into the water?
(b) The bends.
(c) Panic attacks.
(d) Black lung.
8. How does Roebling respond to the scandal surrounding Kingsley?
(a) He fires him.
(b) He promotes him.
(c) He ignores the rumors.
(d) He lowers his salary.
9. In which city is "The Biggest Bridge in the World" constructed?
10. Which of the following is NOT an adjective Brooklyners use to describe the ferry boats they traditionally use to cross to Manhattan?
11. What is the name of the lumber company that falls under suspicion of scandal?
(a) Saw and Mill.
(b) Stump and Saw.
(c) Gold Lumber.
12. What does John A. Roebling do for a living?
(a) He is dentist.
(b) He is a physicist.
(c) He is an engineer.
(d) He is a psychologist.
13. Which of the following famous people is NOT mentioned as having left the West for fame and fortune in the East?
(a) Mark Twain.
(b) Thomas Edison.
(c) Benjamin Franklin.
(d) Andrew Carnegie.
14. How many ferries commute between Manhattan and Brooklyn each day?
15. How many feet of additional width are added to the bridge in order to ensure two-way traffic?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Lucia Cooper?
2. Ellet offers $5 to the first boy who can do what across his bridge over the Ohio River?
3. What do the Bridge committee think Washington is missing from his father's spirit?
4. What staggering amount of money has John Roebling earned at the time his wife dies in 1864?
5. How does Washington Roebling feel about having to speak for his father at meetings?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)