|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In which of the following school subjects does Tweed excel?
2. In what hemisphere of Long Island is Brooklyn located?
3. Which of the following precautions is NOT installed by Roebling previous to the fire?
(a) Steam pipes.
(b) Fire extingishers.
(c) Water buckets.
4. Which of the following is NOT a job Kingsley works before becoming a fundraiser for the Brooklyn Bridge?
(a) Street paver.
(b) Sewer drainer.
(c) Park cleaner.
(d) Bridge builder.
5. How many weeks vacation does Kingsley take after news of his scandal breaks out in the papers?
(a) Eight weeks.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Four weeks.
(d) Six weeks.
6. Which of the following is NOT a literary reference made in regards to working down the caisson?
(a) The book of Revelation.
(b) Dante's Inferno.
(d) Heart of Darkness.
7. Who is Lucia Cooper?
(a) John's mother.
(b) John's sister.
(c) John's wife.
(d) John's daughter.
8. What is the name of the park that commemorates the inception of the Brooklyn Bridge plan?
(a) Squirrel Nest Park.
(b) Owl Head Park.
(c) Deer Valley Park.
(d) Turtle Crossing Park.
9. Who do the newspapers blame for the fire that spreads through the caisson?
(b) The ferry workers.
(d) The dangerous elements.
10. Which of the following is NOT something increased in bridges by the use of stays?
11. What do the Bridge committee think Washington is missing from his father's spirit?
(a) His leadership style.
(b) His creative vision.
(c) His commanding speech.
(d) His strong arms.
12. How does "The Genuine Language of America" feel about on the job casualties?
(a) That they are too frequent.
(b) That they do not exist.
(c) That they are inevitable.
(d) That they are avoidable.
13. Who is Washington Roebling named after?
(a) John's work colleague.
(b) His grandfather.
(c) John's best childhood friend.
(d) George Washington.
14. Which of the following is NOT one of the titles given to John Roeblings by the business community after his death?
15. Which political party does Tweed align himself with in the novel?
(a) The Green Party.
(b) The Independent Party.
(c) The Democrat Party.
(d) The Republican Party.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the lumber company that falls under suspicion of scandal?
2. Where is John working at the time of Johanna's death?
3. How many children does John and his wife Johanna have?
4. By the time Roebling's bridge is launched, how many of his workers have died on the job?
5. What type of business does John Roebling start from scratch?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)