|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Colonel Washington related to John A. Roebling?
(a) Washington is his uncle.
(b) Washington is his father.
(c) Washington is his son.
(d) Washington is his brother.
2. Which of the following sea creatures is a cause of major concern for Washington during bridge construction?
(c) Sea worms.
3. What expensive gem does Tweed encrust over everything at his daughter's wedding?
4. How long are the shifts Roebling's men endure on a daily basis?
(a) 24 hours.
(b) 8 hours.
(c) 15 hours.
(d) 12 hours.
5. How does Murphy feel about his old school-mate Tweed?
(a) He does not remember him.
(b) He respects him.
(c) He loathes him.
(d) He is apathetic to him.
6. How does the public react to the working conditions Roebling's men endure in the caissons?
(a) They are confused.
(b) They are outraged.
(c) They are terrified.
(d) They are fascinated.
7. How does John react to the news that his wife, Johanna, has passed away?
(a) He was devastated.
(b) He was embarrassed.
(c) He was apathetic.
(d) He was relieved.
8. Which of the following is NOT one of the titles given to John Roeblings by the business community after his death?
9. How many ferries commute between Manhattan and Brooklyn each day?
10. Which of the following statements is NOT true about Brooklyn at the time the bridge was built?
(a) Schools were better in Brooklyn than in Manhattan.
(b) The government was less corrupt in Brooklyn than in Manhattan.
(c) Gas prices were lower in Brooklyn than in Manhattan.
(d) Unemplyment was lower in Brooklyn than in Manhattan.
11. Which of the following precautions is NOT installed by Roebling previous to the fire?
(b) Water buckets.
(c) Steam pipes.
(d) Fire extingishers.
12. What are "The Eagle" and "The Union?"
(b) Ferry boats.
(c) Secret code names.
(d) Suggestions for bridge names.
13. In what country is John Roebling born?
14. How long is the bridge Roebling builds across the Niagara Falls?
(a) 1,700 feet.
(b) 1,200 feet.
(c) 800 feet.
(d) 500 feet.
15. Which river in New York is considered the best harbor?
(a) East River.
(b) Susquehanna River.
(c) St. Lawrence River.
(d) Hudson River.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many gallons of water are used to extinguish the fire in the caisson?
2. What do the Bridge committee think Washington is missing from his father's spirit?
3. What are the New York aldermen nicknamed in the 1850s?
4. According to the Age of Progression, what does human suffering lead to?
5. What is the name of the park that commemorates the inception of the Brooklyn Bridge plan?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)