|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Lucia Cooper?
(a) John's sister.
(b) John's wife.
(c) John's daughter.
(d) John's mother.
2. Which of the following famous people is NOT mentioned as having left the West for fame and fortune in the East?
(a) Andrew Carnegie.
(b) Thomas Edison.
(c) Mark Twain.
(d) Benjamin Franklin.
3. How many men are killed during the river's "Great Blowout?"
4. What instrument does Washington play?
(a) The piano.
(b) The harp.
(c) The banjo.
(d) The flute.
5. Which of the following sea creatures is a cause of major concern for Washington during bridge construction?
(c) Sea worms.
6. How many weeks vacation does Kingsley take after news of his scandal breaks out in the papers?
(a) Eight weeks.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Four weeks.
(d) Six weeks.
7. What type of business does John Roebling start from scratch?
(a) A wood business.
(b) A wire business.
(c) A steel business.
(d) A glass business.
8. Which of the following descriptions best describes Brooklyn Mayor, Martin Kalbfleisch?
(a) Painfully shy and wire thin.
(b) Sweet tempered and morbidly obese.
(c) Foul mouthed and hard drinking.
(d) Tyranically conservative.
9. How many gallons of water are used to extinguish the fire in the caisson?
(a) 130,000 gallons.
(b) 1.3 million gallons.
(c) 130 gallons.
(d) 13,000 gallons.
10. What government position is Tweed running for when he falls from grace in the papers?
11. How does John react to the news that his wife, Johanna, has passed away?
(a) He was devastated.
(b) He was relieved.
(c) He was embarrassed.
(d) He was apathetic.
12. What does John A. Roebling do for a living?
(a) He is a psychologist.
(b) He is dentist.
(c) He is an engineer.
(d) He is a physicist.
13. Which river in Pennsylvania does John famously carry the canal across?
(a) The Ohio River.
(b) The Vaugn River.
(c) The Monongahela River
(d) The Allegheney River.
14. In what country is John Roebling born?
15. At what river does James Eads decide to build a bridge, directly competing for press with Washington Roebling?
(a) St Louis.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Colonel Washington related to John A. Roebling?
2. Which political party does Tweed align himself with in the novel?
3. What are "The Eagle" and "The Union?"
4. Which of the following is NOT the name of one of John Roebling's sons?
5. Which of the following subjects does John Roebling study in school as a teenager?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)