|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How might Kingsley describe his desire to become a well-known politician in New York?
(a) As an all emcompassing desire.
(b) As a wistful imagination.
(c) As a completely nonexistant desire.
(d) As a pipe dream.
2. Which fire department responds to the fire in the caisson?
(b) Long Island.
(c) New Jersey.
3. How does Murphy feel about his old school-mate Tweed?
(a) He is apathetic to him.
(b) He does not remember him.
(c) He respects him.
(d) He loathes him.
4. How is Colonel Washington related to John A. Roebling?
(a) Washington is his uncle.
(b) Washington is his brother.
(c) Washington is his father.
(d) Washington is his son.
5. How long is the bridge Roebling builds across the Niagara Falls?
(a) 1,700 feet.
(b) 1,200 feet.
(c) 800 feet.
(d) 500 feet.
6. What does John set out to do when he moves to America?
(a) Be an astronomer.
(b) Be an engineer.
(c) Be a farmer.
(d) Be a teacher.
7. What crushes John's feet, leading to his toes being amputated?
(a) A train.
(b) A bicycle.
(c) An automobile.
(d) A ferry.
8. In what month of the year does Roebling's caisson finally slide into the water?
9. What does Murphy claim the engineers of the Brooklyn Bridge have a license to do?
10. Who is Lucia Cooper?
(a) John's mother.
(b) John's daughter.
(c) John's wife.
(d) John's sister.
11. What is the name of the party John joins after Johanna's death?
(a) The Party of Dreams.
(b) The Party of Mourning.
(c) The Black Party.
(d) The Bridge Party.
12. Which of the following subjects does John Roebling study in school as a teenager?
13. Which of the following precautions is NOT installed by Roebling previous to the fire?
(b) Water buckets.
(c) Fire extingishers.
(d) Steam pipes.
14. Which of the following famous people is NOT mentioned as having left the West for fame and fortune in the East?
(a) Mark Twain.
(b) Thomas Edison.
(c) Benjamin Franklin.
(d) Andrew Carnegie.
15. How does John react to the news that his wife, Johanna, has passed away?
(a) He was devastated.
(b) He was relieved.
(c) He was apathetic.
(d) He was embarrassed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT an engineering feat Roebling cites as an example of greatness in comparison to his bridge?
2. What is the name of the affliction Roebling's workers suffer from after traveling deep into the water?
3. How does Washington Roebling feel about having to speak for his father at meetings?
4. Which of the following is NOT an adjective Brooklyners use to describe the ferry boats they traditionally use to cross to Manhattan?
5. Who do the newspapers blame for the fire that spreads through the caisson?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)