|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a name Roebling's project carries at some point during its process?
(a) The Spectacular Project.
(b) The Roebling Project.
(c) The Empire Project.
(d) The New York Project.
2. What are the New York aldermen nicknamed in the 1850s?
(a) The "Forty Theives."
(b) The "Flying Dutchmen."
(c) The "Band of Horsemen."
(d) The "Golden Parachutes."
3. Which of the following is NOT one of the titles given to John Roeblings by the business community after his death?
4. What is the name of the Brooklyn neighborhood where the elite live, overlooking the ocean?
(a) The Cliffs.
(b) The Parlor.
(c) The Hamptons.
(d) The Heights.
5. Which of the following is NOT the name of one of John Roebling's sons?
6. How does "The Genuine Language of America" feel about on the job casualties?
(a) That they are inevitable.
(b) That they are too frequent.
(c) That they do not exist.
(d) That they are avoidable.
7. What is the name of Washington's wife?
8. How much does the project to build the Brooklyn Bridge cost?
(a) $6-7 million.
(b) $1-2 million.
(c) $14-15 million.
(d) $10-11 million.
9. Who does Kingsley voice a tirade against?
(a) Vagabonds and Scoundrals.
(b) All who are guilty of sin.
(c) The ferry company.
(d) Theives and Gluttons.
10. How long did it take Roebling to build the Allegheny Bridge?
(a) 23 years.
(b) 5 years.
(c) 11 years.
(d) 17 years.
11. How many men are killed during the river's "Great Blowout?"
12. Which river in New York is considered the best harbor?
(a) East River.
(b) Hudson River.
(c) Susquehanna River.
(d) St. Lawrence River.
13. How does Washington Roebling feel about having to speak for his father at meetings?
(a) He feels somewhat nervous, but overcomes it.
(b) He feels utterly confused.
(c) He feels completely terrified.
(d) He feels completely at ease.
14. Which of the following is NOT a way Roebling's workers attempt to light the dark tunnels where they work?
(a) Sun panels.
(c) Limstone lights.
(d) Kerosene lamps.
15. What does John set out to do when he moves to America?
(a) Be a teacher.
(b) Be an astronomer.
(c) Be an engineer.
(d) Be a farmer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does "The Genuine Language of America" dub the "heroes of the Age of Progress?"
2. Where is John working at the time of Johanna's death?
3. How many copies of the committee's formal approval of the Brooklyn Bridge are made and circulated?
4. How many weeks vacation does Kingsley take after news of his scandal breaks out in the papers?
5. What does Murphy claim the engineers of the Brooklyn Bridge have a license to do?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)