|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of business does John Roebling start from scratch?
(a) A glass business.
(b) A wood business.
(c) A steel business.
(d) A wire business.
2. Which of the following is NOT an engineering feat Roebling cites as an example of greatness in comparison to his bridge?
(a) The Suaz Canal.
(b) The Atlantic Cable.
(c) The Union Pacific Railway.
(d) The Pony Express.
3. Which of the following famous people is NOT mentioned as having left the West for fame and fortune in the East?
(a) Benjamin Franklin.
(b) Mark Twain.
(c) Thomas Edison.
(d) Andrew Carnegie.
4. How many children does John and his wife Johanna have?
5. Which fire department responds to the fire in the caisson?
(a) New Jersey.
(d) Long Island.
6. Where does Murphy graduate law school?
7. How does Washington Roebling feel about having to speak for his father at meetings?
(a) He feels completely at ease.
(b) He feels utterly confused.
(c) He feels somewhat nervous, but overcomes it.
(d) He feels completely terrified.
8. How many ferries commute between Manhattan and Brooklyn each day?
9. Which of the following is NOT a name Roebling's project carries at some point during its process?
(a) The Empire Project.
(b) The Roebling Project.
(c) The New York Project.
(d) The Spectacular Project.
10. Which magazine publishes Roebling's thoughts about the East River?
(a) The New York Tribune.
(b) The Washington Post.
(c) The Cincinnati Times.
(d) The Wall Street Journal.
11. What is the name of the park that commemorates the inception of the Brooklyn Bridge plan?
(a) Turtle Crossing Park.
(b) Owl Head Park.
(c) Deer Valley Park.
(d) Squirrel Nest Park.
12. Which of the following is NOT the name of one of John Roebling's sons?
13. Which of the following poets is a supporter of Roebling's bridge project?
(a) Walt Whitman.
(b) Gertruid Stein.
(c) Emily Dickinson.
(d) Ezra Pound.
14. How much does the project to build the Brooklyn Bridge cost?
(a) $6-7 million.
(b) $14-15 million.
(c) $1-2 million.
(d) $10-11 million.
15. Over what river is the first suspension bridge ever built?
(a) John's Creek.
(b) Thomas' Creek.
(c) Jacob's Creek.
(d) Michael's Creek.
Short Answer Questions
1. For how many days does John Roebling suffer before he finally dies?
2. Which of the following adjectives best describes William Tweed's business style?
3. In what hemisphere of Long Island is Brooklyn located?
4. Which political party does Tweed align himself with in the novel?
5. In which of the following school subjects does Tweed excel?
This section contains 406 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)