|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long are the shifts Roebling's men endure on a daily basis?
(a) 12 hours.
(b) 15 hours.
(c) 8 hours.
(d) 24 hours.
2. What instrument does Washington play?
(a) The flute.
(b) The piano.
(c) The harp.
(d) The banjo.
3. How long does it take Roebling to get his caissons into the water?
(a) Seven months.
(b) Five months.
(c) Three months.
(d) Twelve months.
4. Which of the following diseases eventually kills John Roebling?
5. Where does Murphy graduate law school?
6. Which of the following names is NOT one of the engineers who attempts to build a bridge in this chapter?
(a) Samuel Keefer.
(b) Edward Serrell.
(c) Thomas Telford
(d) James Phancton.
7. In what city does John Roebling stay while talks of the Brooklyn Bridge reach completion?
8. How does Washington Roebling feel about having to speak for his father at meetings?
(a) He feels completely terrified.
(b) He feels somewhat nervous, but overcomes it.
(c) He feels completely at ease.
(d) He feels utterly confused.
9. For how many days does John Roebling suffer before he finally dies?
(a) 21 days.
(b) 14 days.
(c) 8 days.
(d) 33 days.
10. Which of the following is NOT a way Roebling's workers attempt to light the dark tunnels where they work?
(b) Kerosene lamps.
(c) Limstone lights.
(d) Sun panels.
11. What is the name of the party John joins after Johanna's death?
(a) The Party of Dreams.
(b) The Party of Mourning.
(c) The Bridge Party.
(d) The Black Party.
12. What government position is Tweed running for when he falls from grace in the papers?
13. According to the Age of Progression, what does human suffering lead to?
(a) Ethnic cleansing.
(b) World collapse.
(c) Grand projects.
(d) Blackened spirits.
14. Which of the following statements is NOT true about Brooklyn at the time the bridge was built?
(a) Schools were better in Brooklyn than in Manhattan.
(b) The government was less corrupt in Brooklyn than in Manhattan.
(c) Gas prices were lower in Brooklyn than in Manhattan.
(d) Unemplyment was lower in Brooklyn than in Manhattan.
15. What is the name of the park that commemorates the inception of the Brooklyn Bridge plan?
(a) Deer Valley Park.
(b) Owl Head Park.
(c) Squirrel Nest Park.
(d) Turtle Crossing Park.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which city is "The Biggest Bridge in the World" constructed?
2. How is Colonel Washington related to John A. Roebling?
3. What type of business does John Roebling start from scratch?
4. What does Murphy claim the engineers of the Brooklyn Bridge have a license to do?
5. Which of the following metals does Roebling call "the metal of the future?"
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)