|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long is the bridge Roebling builds across the Niagara Falls?
(a) 800 feet.
(b) 1,700 feet.
(c) 1,200 feet.
(d) 500 feet.
2. Which of the following is NOT one of the titles given to John Roeblings by the business community after his death?
3. How many feet of additional width are added to the bridge in order to ensure two-way traffic?
4. Which of the following is NOT a name Roebling's project carries at some point during its process?
(a) The Spectacular Project.
(b) The Empire Project.
(c) The New York Project.
(d) The Roebling Project.
5. How many men are responsible for the fire that nearly destroys the caisson?
6. Which of the following sea creatures is a cause of major concern for Washington during bridge construction?
(a) Sea worms.
7. Which of the following diseases eventually kills John Roebling?
8. Which of the following is NOT a project John works on before starting to build bridges?
(b) Railroad tracks.
(d) Electric fences.
9. At what river does James Eads decide to build a bridge, directly competing for press with Washington Roebling?
(a) St Louis.
10. In which of the following school subjects does Tweed excel?
11. Which river in New York is considered the best harbor?
(a) Susquehanna River.
(b) St. Lawrence River.
(c) East River.
(d) Hudson River.
12. How does Murphy feel about his old school-mate Tweed?
(a) He is apathetic to him.
(b) He does not remember him.
(c) He loathes him.
(d) He respects him.
13. Which of the following is NOT a term used to describe John Roebling by his fellow townsfolk?
(a) An artist.
(b) A free-thinker.
(c) A hero.
(d) An inventor.
14. Which of the following descriptions best describes Brooklyn Mayor, Martin Kalbfleisch?
(a) Tyranically conservative.
(b) Painfully shy and wire thin.
(c) Foul mouthed and hard drinking.
(d) Sweet tempered and morbidly obese.
15. Who is Washington Roebling named after?
(a) His grandfather.
(b) John's work colleague.
(c) George Washington.
(d) John's best childhood friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following modes of transportation stops the construction of "The Biggest Bridge in the World" in 1846?
2. Which magazine publishes Roebling's thoughts about the East River?
3. What is the name of the park that commemorates the inception of the Brooklyn Bridge plan?
4. Which of the following adjectives best describes William Tweed's business style?
5. How long does it take Roebling to get his caissons into the water?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)