|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following descriptions best describes Brooklyn Mayor, Martin Kalbfleisch?
(a) Sweet tempered and morbidly obese.
(b) Painfully shy and wire thin.
(c) Tyranically conservative.
(d) Foul mouthed and hard drinking.
2. Which of the following subjects does John Roebling study in school as a teenager?
3. How many children does John and his wife Johanna have?
4. How long are the shifts Roebling's men endure on a daily basis?
(a) 24 hours.
(b) 12 hours.
(c) 15 hours.
(d) 8 hours.
5. Which political party does Tweed align himself with in the novel?
(a) The Independent Party.
(b) The Republican Party.
(c) The Green Party.
(d) The Democrat Party.
6. How many men are killed during the river's "Great Blowout?"
7. Over what river is the first suspension bridge ever built?
(a) Thomas' Creek.
(b) Michael's Creek.
(c) Jacob's Creek.
(d) John's Creek.
8. Which of the following is NOT one of the titles given to John Roeblings by the business community after his death?
9. How many copies of the committee's formal approval of the Brooklyn Bridge are made and circulated?
10. Which of the following modes of transportation stops the construction of "The Biggest Bridge in the World" in 1846?
(b) Passenger trains.
11. How many cables does Roebling suggest could hold the Brooklyn Bridge?
12. How many ferries commute between Manhattan and Brooklyn each day?
13. Which of the following famous people is NOT mentioned as having left the West for fame and fortune in the East?
(a) Thomas Edison.
(b) Mark Twain.
(c) Andrew Carnegie.
(d) Benjamin Franklin.
14. How does "The Genuine Language of America" feel about on the job casualties?
(a) That they are inevitable.
(b) That they do not exist.
(c) That they are avoidable.
(d) That they are too frequent.
15. Which of the following is NOT a name Roebling's project carries at some point during its process?
(a) The Spectacular Project.
(b) The Roebling Project.
(c) The New York Project.
(d) The Empire Project.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the lumber company that falls under suspicion of scandal?
2. Which of the following diseases eventually kills John Roebling?
3. Which of the following statements is NOT true about Brooklyn at the time the bridge was built?
4. Who do the newspapers label a quack?
5. Which river in Pennsylvania does John famously carry the canal across?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)