|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following diseases eventually kills John Roebling?
2. Which of the following men is NOT a subject of investigation for the Rink Committee?
3. What is the name of the affliction Roebling's workers suffer from after traveling deep into the water?
(a) Panic attacks.
(c) The bends.
(d) Black lung.
4. Which river in Pennsylvania does John famously carry the canal across?
(a) The Allegheney River.
(b) The Vaugn River.
(c) The Monongahela River
(d) The Ohio River.
5. What crushes John's feet, leading to his toes being amputated?
(a) A train.
(b) An automobile.
(c) A ferry.
(d) A bicycle.
6. Which fire department responds to the fire in the caisson?
(b) New Jersey.
(c) Long Island.
7. Which of the following is NOT a name Roebling's project carries at some point during its process?
(a) The Spectacular Project.
(b) The Roebling Project.
(c) The Empire Project.
(d) The New York Project.
8. Which of the following subjects does John Roebling study in school as a teenager?
9. What is the name of the Brooklyn neighborhood where the elite live, overlooking the ocean?
(a) The Parlor.
(b) The Heights.
(c) The Cliffs.
(d) The Hamptons.
10. In what city does John Roebling stay while talks of the Brooklyn Bridge reach completion?
11. How does "The Genuine Language of America" feel about on the job casualties?
(a) That they are inevitable.
(b) That they do not exist.
(c) That they are too frequent.
(d) That they are avoidable.
12. What are the New York aldermen nicknamed in the 1850s?
(a) The "Band of Horsemen."
(b) The "Forty Theives."
(c) The "Golden Parachutes."
(d) The "Flying Dutchmen."
13. Which of the following modes of transportation stops the construction of "The Biggest Bridge in the World" in 1846?
(a) Passenger trains.
14. Which of the following precautions is NOT installed by Roebling previous to the fire?
(a) Fire extingishers.
(c) Water buckets.
(d) Steam pipes.
15. How might Kingsley describe his desire to become a well-known politician in New York?
(a) As an all emcompassing desire.
(b) As a wistful imagination.
(c) As a completely nonexistant desire.
(d) As a pipe dream.
Short Answer Questions
1. By the time Roebling's bridge is launched, how many of his workers have died on the job?
2. How does John react to the news that his wife, Johanna, has passed away?
3. For how many days does John Roebling suffer before he finally dies?
4. How long is the bridge Roebling builds across the Niagara Falls?
5. What is Roebling rubbed down with to return his circulation?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)