|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT an engineering feat Roebling cites as an example of greatness in comparison to his bridge?
(a) The Pony Express.
(b) The Atlantic Cable.
(c) The Suaz Canal.
(d) The Union Pacific Railway.
2. What is the name of the party John joins after Johanna's death?
(a) The Bridge Party.
(b) The Party of Mourning.
(c) The Black Party.
(d) The Party of Dreams.
3. How much additional cost is incurred in order to widen the Brooklyn Bridge?
4. Which river in New York is considered the best harbor?
(a) East River.
(b) St. Lawrence River.
(c) Susquehanna River.
(d) Hudson River.
5. Which of the following names is NOT one of the engineers who attempts to build a bridge in this chapter?
(a) James Phancton.
(b) Thomas Telford
(c) Edward Serrell.
(d) Samuel Keefer.
6. What do the Bridge committee think Washington is missing from his father's spirit?
(a) His creative vision.
(b) His leadership style.
(c) His commanding speech.
(d) His strong arms.
7. What position does Washington Roebling take on his father's construction team?
(b) Construction Manager.
(d) Assistant Engineer.
8. What is the name of the Brooklyn neighborhood where the elite live, overlooking the ocean?
(a) The Heights.
(b) The Parlor.
(c) The Hamptons.
(d) The Cliffs.
9. What is the name of the lumber company that falls under suspicion of scandal?
(a) Gold Lumber.
(c) Saw and Mill.
(d) Stump and Saw.
10. Over what river is the first suspension bridge ever built?
(a) John's Creek.
(b) Michael's Creek.
(c) Jacob's Creek.
(d) Thomas' Creek.
11. In what hemisphere of Long Island is Brooklyn located?
12. How might Kingsley describe his desire to become a well-known politician in New York?
(a) As a wistful imagination.
(b) As a pipe dream.
(c) As an all emcompassing desire.
(d) As a completely nonexistant desire.
13. What does John A. Roebling do for a living?
(a) He is an engineer.
(b) He is a physicist.
(c) He is dentist.
(d) He is a psychologist.
14. Which of the following is NOT one of the titles given to John Roeblings by the business community after his death?
15. How is Colonel Washington related to John A. Roebling?
(a) Washington is his uncle.
(b) Washington is his father.
(c) Washington is his brother.
(d) Washington is his son.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a term used to describe John Roebling by his fellow townsfolk?
2. For how many days does John Roebling suffer before he finally dies?
3. Which of the following is NOT a literary reference made in regards to working down the caisson?
4. What is the name of the affliction Roebling's workers suffer from after traveling deep into the water?
5. Which of the following men is NOT a subject of investigation for the Rink Committee?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)