|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By the time Roebling's bridge is launched, how many of his workers have died on the job?
2. What type of business does John Roebling start from scratch?
(a) A wire business.
(b) A glass business.
(c) A wood business.
(d) A steel business.
3. Who is Washington Roebling named after?
(a) John's best childhood friend.
(b) George Washington.
(c) His grandfather.
(d) John's work colleague.
4. Which of the following is NOT something increased in bridges by the use of stays?
5. What is Roebling rubbed down with to return his circulation?
(a) Hemp and Cloves.
(b) Sugar and Lime.
(c) Salt and Whiskey.
(d) Tea and Butter.
6. What position does Washington Roebling take on his father's construction team?
(a) Construction Manager.
(b) Assistant Engineer.
7. How does John react to the news that his wife, Johanna, has passed away?
(a) He was embarrassed.
(b) He was relieved.
(c) He was devastated.
(d) He was apathetic.
8. For how many days does John Roebling suffer before he finally dies?
(a) 21 days.
(b) 8 days.
(c) 14 days.
(d) 33 days.
9. Which of the following men is NOT a subject of investigation for the Rink Committee?
10. Which political party does Tweed align himself with in the novel?
(a) The Green Party.
(b) The Democrat Party.
(c) The Republican Party.
(d) The Independent Party.
11. Where is John working at the time of Johanna's death?
(a) In Pittsburgh.
(b) In Cincinatti.
(c) In Chicago.
(d) In Detroit.
12. Over what river is the first suspension bridge ever built?
(a) Thomas' Creek.
(b) Jacob's Creek.
(c) Michael's Creek.
(d) John's Creek.
13. Which of the following is NOT an engineering feat Roebling cites as an example of greatness in comparison to his bridge?
(a) The Atlantic Cable.
(b) The Union Pacific Railway.
(c) The Suaz Canal.
(d) The Pony Express.
14. In which of the following school subjects does Tweed excel?
15. Which of the following descriptions best describes Brooklyn Mayor, Martin Kalbfleisch?
(a) Foul mouthed and hard drinking.
(b) Tyranically conservative.
(c) Sweet tempered and morbidly obese.
(d) Painfully shy and wire thin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the giant boxes of compressed air used to anchor bridges called?
2. In which decade is the novel "The Great Bridge" set?
3. Which of the following is NOT a project John works on before starting to build bridges?
4. Which of the following subjects does John Roebling study in school as a teenager?
5. What is the name of Washington's wife?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)