|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does it take Roebling to get his caissons into the water?
(a) Five months.
(b) Seven months.
(c) Twelve months.
(d) Three months.
2. What staggering amount of money has John Roebling earned at the time his wife dies in 1864?
(a) $1 million.
(d) $10 million.
3. Over what river is the first suspension bridge ever built?
(a) Thomas' Creek.
(b) Michael's Creek.
(c) Jacob's Creek.
(d) John's Creek.
4. How many men are responsible for the fire that nearly destroys the caisson?
5. How many gallons of water are used to extinguish the fire in the caisson?
(a) 1.3 million gallons.
(b) 13,000 gallons.
(c) 130,000 gallons.
(d) 130 gallons.
6. Which of the following is NOT a literary reference made in regards to working down the caisson?
(a) Dante's Inferno.
(b) The book of Revelation.
(c) Heart of Darkness.
7. Who is Lucia Cooper?
(a) John's wife.
(b) John's sister.
(c) John's daughter.
(d) John's mother.
8. How does Washington Roebling feel about having to speak for his father at meetings?
(a) He feels completely terrified.
(b) He feels completely at ease.
(c) He feels utterly confused.
(d) He feels somewhat nervous, but overcomes it.
9. What is the name of Washington's wife?
10. Which political party does Tweed align himself with in the novel?
(a) The Independent Party.
(b) The Green Party.
(c) The Democrat Party.
(d) The Republican Party.
11. What is the name of the party John joins after Johanna's death?
(a) The Party of Mourning.
(b) The Bridge Party.
(c) The Party of Dreams.
(d) The Black Party.
12. In what month of the year does Roebling's caisson finally slide into the water?
13. How long did it take Roebling to build the Allegheny Bridge?
(a) 11 years.
(b) 23 years.
(c) 5 years.
(d) 17 years.
14. According to the Age of Progression, what does human suffering lead to?
(a) Grand projects.
(b) Ethnic cleansing.
(c) World collapse.
(d) Blackened spirits.
15. Ellet offers $5 to the first boy who can do what across his bridge over the Ohio River?
(a) Skip a stone.
(b) Ride his bicycle.
(c) Walk his dog.
(d) Fly a kite.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what river does James Eads decide to build a bridge, directly competing for press with Washington Roebling?
2. What does John A. Roebling do for a living?
3. Which of the following sea creatures is a cause of major concern for Washington during bridge construction?
4. In which decade is the novel "The Great Bridge" set?
5. Which of the following is NOT one of the titles given to John Roeblings by the business community after his death?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)