|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Washington Roebling feel about having to speak for his father at meetings?
(a) He feels completely at ease.
(b) He feels completely terrified.
(c) He feels somewhat nervous, but overcomes it.
(d) He feels utterly confused.
2. Ellet offers $5 to the first boy who can do what across his bridge over the Ohio River?
(a) Fly a kite.
(b) Ride his bicycle.
(c) Skip a stone.
(d) Walk his dog.
3. How much additional cost is incurred in order to widen the Brooklyn Bridge?
4. Which of the following is NOT a project John works on before starting to build bridges?
(c) Electric fences.
(d) Railroad tracks.
5. Who do the newspapers blame for the fire that spreads through the caisson?
(b) The dangerous elements.
(d) The ferry workers.
6. Which of the following is NOT an engineering feat Roebling cites as an example of greatness in comparison to his bridge?
(a) The Atlantic Cable.
(b) The Pony Express.
(c) The Union Pacific Railway.
(d) The Suaz Canal.
7. Which of the following statements is NOT true about Brooklyn at the time the bridge was built?
(a) The government was less corrupt in Brooklyn than in Manhattan.
(b) Schools were better in Brooklyn than in Manhattan.
(c) Unemplyment was lower in Brooklyn than in Manhattan.
(d) Gas prices were lower in Brooklyn than in Manhattan.
8. How long is the bridge Roebling builds across the Niagara Falls?
(a) 1,200 feet.
(b) 1,700 feet.
(c) 500 feet.
(d) 800 feet.
9. At what river does James Eads decide to build a bridge, directly competing for press with Washington Roebling?
(a) St Louis.
10. Which of the following sea creatures is a cause of major concern for Washington during bridge construction?
(c) Sea worms.
11. How does "The Genuine Language of America" feel about on the job casualties?
(a) That they are too frequent.
(b) That they are avoidable.
(c) That they do not exist.
(d) That they are inevitable.
12. How does the public react to the working conditions Roebling's men endure in the caissons?
(a) They are confused.
(b) They are terrified.
(c) They are outraged.
(d) They are fascinated.
13. Which of the following is NOT the name of one of John Roebling's sons?
14. Which of the following famous people is NOT mentioned as having left the West for fame and fortune in the East?
(a) Mark Twain.
(b) Benjamin Franklin.
(c) Andrew Carnegie.
(d) Thomas Edison.
15. Over what river is the first suspension bridge ever built?
(a) John's Creek.
(b) Jacob's Creek.
(c) Michael's Creek.
(d) Thomas' Creek.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Roebling respond to the scandal surrounding Kingsley?
2. How many feet of additional width are added to the bridge in order to ensure two-way traffic?
3. In what hemisphere of Long Island is Brooklyn located?
4. For how many days does John Roebling suffer before he finally dies?
5. How many gallons of water are used to extinguish the fire in the caisson?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)