|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many men are killed during the river's "Great Blowout?"
2. What instrument does Washington play?
(a) The flute.
(b) The harp.
(c) The piano.
(d) The banjo.
3. Which of the following names is NOT one of the engineers who attempts to build a bridge in this chapter?
(a) Edward Serrell.
(b) Thomas Telford
(c) James Phancton.
(d) Samuel Keefer.
4. Which of the following subjects does John Roebling study in school as a teenager?
5. Which of the following is NOT the name of one of John Roebling's sons?
6. In what month of the year does Roebling's caisson finally slide into the water?
7. What is Washinton Roebling's nickname?
8. Which of the following is NOT an adjective Brooklyners use to describe the ferry boats they traditionally use to cross to Manhattan?
9. How many weeks vacation does Kingsley take after news of his scandal breaks out in the papers?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) Six weeks.
(c) Four weeks.
(d) Eight weeks.
10. Which of the following diseases eventually kills John Roebling?
11. What are the giant boxes of compressed air used to anchor bridges called?
12. What does Murphy claim the engineers of the Brooklyn Bridge have a license to do?
13. How many gallons of water are used to extinguish the fire in the caisson?
(a) 130,000 gallons.
(b) 1.3 million gallons.
(c) 130 gallons.
(d) 13,000 gallons.
14. How long are the shifts Roebling's men endure on a daily basis?
(a) 8 hours.
(b) 24 hours.
(c) 15 hours.
(d) 12 hours.
15. Which of the following poets is a supporter of Roebling's bridge project?
(a) Ezra Pound.
(b) Emily Dickinson.
(c) Walt Whitman.
(d) Gertruid Stein.
Short Answer Questions
1. What position does Washington Roebling take on his father's construction team?
2. How does Washington Roebling feel about having to speak for his father at meetings?
3. In which decade is the novel "The Great Bridge" set?
4. How much does the project to build the Brooklyn Bridge cost?
5. According to the Age of Progression, what does human suffering lead to?
This section contains 378 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)