|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following adjectives best describes William Tweed's business style?
2. In which city is "The Biggest Bridge in the World" constructed?
3. Which river in New York is considered the best harbor?
(a) Hudson River.
(b) East River.
(c) St. Lawrence River.
(d) Susquehanna River.
4. Which of the following is NOT a project John works on before starting to build bridges?
(c) Railroad tracks.
(d) Electric fences.
5. How many weeks vacation does Kingsley take after news of his scandal breaks out in the papers?
(a) Four weeks.
(b) Eight weeks.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Six weeks.
6. Which of the following is NOT an adjective Brooklyners use to describe the ferry boats they traditionally use to cross to Manhattan?
7. Which of the following is NOT a name Roebling's project carries at some point during its process?
(a) The New York Project.
(b) The Roebling Project.
(c) The Empire Project.
(d) The Spectacular Project.
8. How many copies of the committee's formal approval of the Brooklyn Bridge are made and circulated?
9. What instrument does Washington play?
(a) The flute.
(b) The piano.
(c) The harp.
(d) The banjo.
10. Which magazine publishes Roebling's thoughts about the East River?
(a) The Washington Post.
(b) The Cincinnati Times.
(c) The Wall Street Journal.
(d) The New York Tribune.
11. Where does Murphy graduate law school?
12. What does John set out to do when he moves to America?
(a) Be a teacher.
(b) Be an engineer.
(c) Be an astronomer.
(d) Be a farmer.
13. What government position is Tweed running for when he falls from grace in the papers?
14. What staggering amount of money has John Roebling earned at the time his wife dies in 1864?
(a) $1 million.
(c) $10 million.
15. Which fire department responds to the fire in the caisson?
(a) New Jersey.
(d) Long Island.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the party John joins after Johanna's death?
2. Which of the following descriptions best describes Brooklyn Mayor, Martin Kalbfleisch?
3. How does Murphy feel about his old school-mate Tweed?
4. Which of the following metals does Roebling call "the metal of the future?"
5. For how many days does John Roebling suffer before he finally dies?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)