|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift does Matthew give to Leni when he returns in Chapter 14?
2. Why has Ernt been released from jail in Chapter 22?
3. What is printed on the spray-painted sign on the Allbrights' gate in Chapter 20 (242)?
4. What is the carved heart made of on the necklace that Matthew gives Leni in Chapter 17?
5. What genre of novels does Leni consume during the month of June in Chapter 19?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Matthew's condition when Leni is released from the hospital in Part 2?
2. How is the theme of deception developed in Chapters 17 and 18?
3. How does Matthew escape in Chapter 20?
4. What conflict emerges at Mad Earl's funeral?
5. What does Ernt do when he finds Matthew on his property coming to visit Leni in Part 2? How does Leni respond?
6. What is related in Leni's "My Alaska" essay in the novel's conclusion?
7. How does Leni respond to her home environment when she is released from the hospital in Part 2?
8. How does Large Marge help Cora and Leni after Ernt's death?
9. What guilt does Cora struggle with in Part 3?
10. Why does Matthew tell Aly that he wants to return to Kaneq in Chapter 14?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of foreshadowing and/or red herrings in The Great Alone. What purposes do foreshadowing and red herrings serve in literature? How and why are they employed in this novel? Give three examples from the text in your response.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of domestic abuse in The Great Alone. What are the impacts of domestic abuse on Cora? What are the impacts of domestic abuse on Leni? What struggles do these characters face in regard to escaping a violent and abusive home?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the character of Ernt Allbright as the central antagonist in The Great Alone. What are the factors that motivate Ernt's actions in the novel? How would you describe Ernt's relationship with his wife and daughter? How does Ernt's character evolve in the novel?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)