Chapters 1 - 2
• NOTE: Citations in this Lesson Plan refer to the following version of the book: Hannah, Kristin. The Great Alone. St. Martin’s Press, 2018.
• The Great Alone is a novel by American author Kristin Hannah. The narrative spans the years from 1974 through 1986 with later commentary in 2009.
• The novel is related from a third-person narrator with focus on protagonist Leni Allbright and occasional chapters that focus on the thoughts and actions of other main characters.
• In Chapter 1, which opens in Seattle in the spring of 1974, 13-year-old Leni Allbright is preparing yet again to become the new girl at school, as her family moves around frequently. As such, Leni generally remains a loner and immerses herself in books and photography.
• Leni’s parents are arguing in another room because Leni’s father has lost another job.
• Leni’s father was captured as a prisoner of war in Vietnam and...
This section contains 6,388 words
(approx. 22 pages at 300 words per page)