|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens with the Joads' car after they pass Bakersfield heading north in Chapter 26?
2. What did Ruthie do when she got into a fight with a big girl at the cotton camp in Chapter 28?
3. What sound awakens Tom as he sleeps in the truck on the Joads' first night at the Weedpatch camp?
4. What disease that caues inflammation of the spine is described in Chapter 21?
5. How much money does the man offer for picking cotton that Ma encounters on her way back to the camp after seeing Tom in Chapter 28?
Short Essay Questions
1. What amenties are provided at the Weedpatch camp and how do the Joads respond to finding these amenities?
2. Why do the Joads leave the Weedpatch camp? Where do they go next?
3. Where is the Weedpatch camp located and how do the Joads find it?
4. What does the committe discover before the Weedpatch dance in Chapter 24?
5. Who is Floyd Knowles and why is he almost killed?
6. How is Mae described in Chapter 15? Who is she excited to see?
7. What are Al's objectives at the Weedpatch camp's Saturday dance?
8. What do the Joads and Wilsons discover from the migrant who is returning east at the camp in Chapter 18?
9. Who are the scientists that are described in Chapter 25?
10. Where do the Joads and Wilsons stop to camp after crossing the California border? How is this setting described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the symbolism of the turtle in the novel. Where is the turtle introduced? What obstacles does it face in its journey? How does it overcome these obstacles?
Essay Topic 2
What are examples of foreshadowing used by the author to indicate that the Joads' perceptions of California are not based in reality? What characters do the Joads meet that indicate the lack of jobs in the region? How do the Joads respond to these forebodings?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of greed in The Grapes of Wrath. How does the author develop this theme through the characters in the novel? How is this theme supported through symbolism and imagery? What do statement do you think the author is making regarding greed? Why?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)