|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The stranger and his son that meets the Joads in the river in Chapter 18 tells them, "Well, Okie use' ta mean you was from Oklahoma. Now it means you're" what (205)?
2. Who is the chairman of the Central Committee at the Weedpatch camp?
3. How much money does the man offer for picking cotton that Ma encounters on her way back to the camp after seeing Tom in Chapter 28?
4. How much money does Pa say they have left once the Joads reach California and camp for the day in Chapter 18?
5. What does the narrator say that the owners followed by importing "slaves" in Chapter 19?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the committe discover before the Weedpatch dance in Chapter 24?
2. What cruelty does the narrator describe in Chapter 25?
3. What departures are seen in Chapter 18? Who continues west?
4. What leads to Jim's death and Tom's flight in Chapter 26?
5. Who is Floyd Knowles and why is he almost killed?
6. How is the plot of the law enforcement thwarted in Chapter 24?
7. Who are the scientists that are described in Chapter 25?
8. Where is the Weedpatch camp located and how do the Joads find it?
9. Why do the Joads leave the Weedpatch camp? Where do they go next?
10. What do the migrant and his son ask for at the diner in Chapter 15? What do they receive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the themes of family and community in The Grapes of Wrath. What are the meanings and importance of family and community to the characters in the novel? What are the benefits of community? What are the drawbacks?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the settings of "Hoovervilles" across California. Why were these camps given that name? How is the Hooverville described that the Joads encounter in Bakersfield? What are their perceptions of the camp?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the symbolism of the tractors described in the novel. What do the tractors represent? What themes do they relate to in The Grapes of Wrath? How and why do the tractors replace the farmers?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)