|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose music does Bill the truck driver's friend play on the phonograph in Chapter 15?
2. What musical instrument does the narrator in Chapter 23 describe as rare and hard to learn?
3. Who in the migrant camps generally are responsible for pitching the tents and bringing down the beds, according to the narrator in Chapter 17?
4. Where does one of the tenants at Weedpatch describe the employees from the rubber companies going unionized in Chapter 24?
5. What does Timothy Wallace define a vagrant as in Chapter 24 (334)?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the families respond when they learn of Al's proposal for marriage with Aggie? Why?
2. Why does Ma refuse to leave Tom and Jim behind in Chapter 16?
3. Who is Floyd Knowles and why is he almost killed?
4. What amenties are provided at the Weedpatch camp and how do the Joads respond to finding these amenities?
5. What does the committe discover before the Weedpatch dance in Chapter 24?
6. What are Rose of Sharon's hopes for the new land in California in Chapter 16?
7. What departures are seen in Chapter 18? Who continues west?
8. What does Ruthie do that puts Tom in danger in Chapter 28?
9. Where do the Joads and Wilsons stop to camp after crossing the California border? How is this setting described?
10. Why do the Joads leave the Weedpatch camp? Where do they go next?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the symbolism of the tractors described in the novel. What do the tractors represent? What themes do they relate to in The Grapes of Wrath? How and why do the tractors replace the farmers?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the symbolism of the turtle in the novel. Where is the turtle introduced? What obstacles does it face in its journey? How does it overcome these obstacles?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the characters of Rose of Sharon and Connie Rivers in The Grapes of Wrath. When did they marry? How would you describe their relationship? What leads to Connie's abandonment of his wife?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)