|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is printed on the side of the red truck outside the roadside restaurant in Chapter 2?
2. Who in the back seat of the car wants a cup of water in Chapter 12?
3. What does Tom find on the sink shelf in the kitchen when he enters his abandoned homestead in Chapter 6?
4. Why does Tom take the turtle with him in Chapter 4?
5. What parts of a car does the narrator say "can rattle till Jesus comes again with no harm" in Chapter 12 (120)?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Grampa die? Where does he die?
2. What information does Tom reveal about Uncle John in Chapter 8?
3. Where does Tom encounter Jim Casy? What is Casy doing when he encounters Tom?
4. How are the circumstances of the landowners described in Chapter 5?
5. Why does Jim Casy ask to accompany the Joads? Why do they let him?
6. What hopes and aspirations do the Joad family members have for California before they set out?
7. Whom do Jim and Tom encounter at the Joad homestead in Chapter 6? How is this character described?
8. What do the banks represent in the novel?
9. Why does Tom take the turtle with him in Chapter 4?
10. What were the causes of the Dust Bowl in America?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the character of Al Joad. How old is Al? What are Al's main objectives in the novel? Whom does Al marry and how does his character change in the course of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the themes of grief and loss in The Grapes of Wrath. What characters die in the course of the novel? How do they die? What are the impacts of their deaths on the surviving characters?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of greed in The Grapes of Wrath. How does the author develop this theme through the characters in the novel? How is this theme supported through symbolism and imagery? What do statement do you think the author is making regarding greed? Why?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)