|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is referred to as "the monster" in Chapter 5 (36)?
2. Who is the tractor driver's father in Chapter 5?
3. Who is Rose of Sharon married to?
4. How much does Tom say his liquor cost when he offers some to Casy in Chapter 4?
5. Of whom does Tom say in Chapter 8, "He's gettin' screwy like a gopher, livin' like he does" (69)?
Short Essay Questions
1. What hopes and aspirations do the Joad family members have for California before they set out?
2. Describe the setting of Oklahoma as introduced in Chapter 1. What are the circumstances of the inhabitants here?
3. What were the causes of the Dust Bowl in America?
4. How are the used car lot owners described in Chapter 7?
5. How does the narrator describe the vacant farmsteads in Chapter 11?
6. Who are Tom's siblings and how old are they?
7. How are the circumstances of the landowners described in Chapter 5?
8. How does Grampa die? Where does he die?
9. Where does Tom Joad solicit a ride in Chapter 2? Who gives him a ride?
10. What information does Tom reveal about Uncle John in Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the settings of "Hoovervilles" across California. Why were these camps given that name? How is the Hooverville described that the Joads encounter in Bakersfield? What are their perceptions of the camp?
Essay Topic 2
How are the Okies perceived by the general populace in California? Why? Who benefits from the arrival of the Okies? How?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the themes of grief and loss in The Grapes of Wrath. What characters die in the course of the novel? How do they die? What are the impacts of their deaths on the surviving characters?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)