|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What highway is described as going from Clarksville and Ozark and Van Buren and Fort Smith through Arkansas in Chapter 12?
2. What parts of a car does the narrator say "can rattle till Jesus comes again with no harm" in Chapter 12 (120)?
3. How old is Ruthie in Chapter 10?
4. What sin does Casy say he committed after his fervent prayer meetings in Chapter 4?
5. What does Tom say is the first thing that kids do when they know a house is empty in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the setting of Oklahoma as introduced in Chapter 1. What are the circumstances of the inhabitants here?
2. What happens to the Joads' dog at the gas station in Chapter 13?
3. What does Tom reveal about his past in Chapter 2?
4. Where does Tom Joad solicit a ride in Chapter 2? Who gives him a ride?
5. How are the used car lot owners described in Chapter 7?
6. What information is related on the handbills that are discussed in Chapter 10?
7. How does Grampa die? Where does he die?
8. Why does Jim Casy ask to accompany the Joads? Why do they let him?
9. Why do the Joads and Wilsons decide to travel together?
10. Who are Tom's siblings and how old are they?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting of Oklahoma as depicted in the novel. When did the dust storms begin in Oklahoma? What impacts did they have on the region agriculturally? How did the Dust Bowl affect the farmers of the land?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the characters of Ma and Pa Joad. How old are these characters? Where do they live in the beginning of the novel? Why do they choose to go to California? What are the dynamics between these characters?
Essay Topic 3
How are the Okies perceived by the general populace in California? Why? Who benefits from the arrival of the Okies? How?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)