|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Grampa Joad die from in Chapter 13?
2. Why does Tom take the turtle with him in Chapter 4?
3. How long had Uncle John been married when his wife died?
4. The narrator states in Chapter 11, "... the machine man, driving a dead tractor on land he does not know and love, understands only" what (117)?
5. How is the well on the Joad homestead described when Tom arrives in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the causes of the Dust Bowl in America?
2. How does Tom's family respond upon seeing him in Chapter 8?
3. What hopes and aspirations do the Joad family members have for California before they set out?
4. What does Tom discover when he reaches his family's homestead in Chapter 6?
5. Why do the Joads and Wilsons decide to travel together?
6. What do the banks represent in the novel?
7. Why did Jim Casy give up the ministry?
8. How does the narrator describe the spirit of man in Chapter 14?
9. What information is related on the handbills that are discussed in Chapter 10?
10. How does Grampa die? Where does he die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are examples of foreshadowing used by the author to indicate that the Joads' perceptions of California are not based in reality? What characters do the Joads meet that indicate the lack of jobs in the region? How do the Joads respond to these forebodings?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the narrative style of The Grapes of Wrath. From what narrative point of view is the novel related? How does the author indicate shifts in this narrative perspective? How do you think the novel would differ if it were related in a different narrative style?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the different settings of roadside diners and restaurants that frequently arise in the novel. Why does the author make these interludes? What characters are described at the diners? Why are truck drivers so revered in these settings?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)