|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the dog that Tom recognizes among the others in Chapter 8?
2. Who does Tom say visited at McAlester last Christmas with cornet music in Chapter 10?
(a) The Girl Scouts of America.
(b) The Lutheran Church.
(c) The Red Cross.
(d) The Salvation Army.
3. Approximately when did the Dust Bowl occur?
4. What happens to the Joads' dog in Chapter 13?
(a) It is shot.
(b) It is hit by a car.
(c) It starves to death.
(d) It runs away.
5. What is referred to as "the monster" in Chapter 5 (36)?
(b) The bank.
(c) The government.
(d) The tenant farmers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What highway is described as going from Clarksville and Ozark and Van Buren and Fort Smith through Arkansas in Chapter 12?
2. What do Winfield and Ruthie bring back to the car at the gas station in Chapter 13?
3. How many people were in the family that was picked up by a sedan that pulled their trailer to California, according to the narrator in Chapter 12?
4. How is the well on the Joad homestead described when Tom arrives in Chapter 6?
5. What sin does Casy say he committed after his fervent prayer meetings in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tom's family respond upon seeing him in Chapter 8?
2. Whom do Jim and Tom encounter at the Joad homestead in Chapter 6? How is this character described?
3. How does Grampa die? Where does he die?
4. Where does Tom Joad solicit a ride in Chapter 2? Who gives him a ride?
5. Why do the Joads and Wilsons decide to travel together?
6. Describe the setting of Oklahoma as introduced in Chapter 1. What are the circumstances of the inhabitants here?
7. What information does Tom reveal about Uncle John in Chapter 8?
8. What symbolism is evoked by the tractors in Chapter 11?
9. What is the spanse of Highway 66? What is the status of this road today?
10. What happens to the Joads' dog at the gas station in Chapter 13?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)