|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Wilson give Tom a paper from to write a note regarding Grampa's death when they bury him?
(a) Her Bible.
(b) Her diary.
(c) A notepad.
(d) A novel.
2. What happens when the red ant attacks the turtle in Chapter 3?
(a) The turtle crawls into the stream.
(b) The turtle squashes it with its shell.
(c) The turtle is killed by the ant's venom.
(d) The turtle runs into a car.
3. How many acres does Tom Joad say his father owns in Chapter 2?
4. What setting is described as where the swallows nest that Tom visits before leaving for California in Chapter 10?
(a) The red bank.
(b) The shed.
(c) The willow tree.
(d) The roof.
5. What does the 40-year-old woman do as she approaches the turtle on the highway in Chapter 3?
(a) She swerves to hit it.
(b) She stops her car and takes the turtle.
(c) She stops and honks.
(d) She swerves to avoid it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What parts of a car does the narrator say "can rattle till Jesus comes again with no harm" in Chapter 12 (120)?
2. How long did it take Uncle John to come out of his stupor after his wife died?
3. Where is Ivy Wilson traveling West from?
4. What is referred to as "the monster" in Chapter 5 (36)?
5. How many people were in the family that was picked up by a sedan that pulled their trailer to California, according to the narrator in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the circumstances of the landowners described in Chapter 5?
2. What hopes and aspirations do the Joad family members have for California before they set out?
3. What does Tom discover when he reaches his family's homestead in Chapter 6?
4. Why does Tom take the turtle with him in Chapter 4?
5. How does Grampa die? Where does he die?
6. Why do the Joads and Wilsons decide to travel together?
7. What information does Tom reveal about Uncle John in Chapter 8?
8. What were the causes of the Dust Bowl in America?
9. What does the narrator describe the tenant farmers doing with their belongings in Chapter 9?
10. Where does Tom Joad solicit a ride in Chapter 2? Who gives him a ride?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)