|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What town does one reach after crossing the desert when entering California by Highway 66, according to the narrator in Chapter 12?
2. How is the well on the Joad homestead described when Tom arrives in Chapter 6?
3. How much does Tom say his liquor cost when he offers some to Casy in Chapter 4?
4. What did Uncle John's wife presumably die from?
(a) A brain aneurism.
(c) A fall.
(d) A burst appendix.
5. What is the tenant farmer holding as he watches the tractor wreck his home in Chapter 5?
(a) A dagger.
(b) A rifle.
(c) A rake.
(d) A bayonette.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Tom Joad first encounter Jim Casy in Chapter 4?
2. Where does the truck driver describe a dance where someone was killed in Chapter 2?
3. How many people were in the family that was picked up by a sedan that pulled their trailer to California, according to the narrator in Chapter 12?
4. Who is Rose of Sharon married to?
5. Who was the mother of the baby that was eaten by a pig next to the Joads'?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Tom Joad solicit a ride in Chapter 2? Who gives him a ride?
2. Describe the setting of Oklahoma as introduced in Chapter 1. What are the circumstances of the inhabitants here?
3. How does Grampa die? Where does he die?
4. What were the causes of the Dust Bowl in America?
5. How does Tom's family respond upon seeing him in Chapter 8?
6. Why does Tom take the turtle with him in Chapter 4?
7. How does the narrator describe the exchange between the migrant and the tire-seller in Chapter 12?
8. Whom do Jim and Tom encounter at the Joad homestead in Chapter 6? How is this character described?
9. Who are Tom's siblings and how old are they?
10. What does the narrator describe the tenant farmers doing with their belongings in Chapter 9?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)