|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What setting is described as "the top of it all" in Arizona in Chapter 18 (201)?
(c) Twin Peaks.
2. What sound awakens Tom as he sleeps in the truck on the Joads' first night at the Weedpatch camp?
(a) Howling coyotes.
(b) Clashing iron.
(d) Howling wolves.
3. What does Ma make to celebrate Al's engagement in Chapter 28?
(b) Peach cobbler.
(d) Chocolate cake.
4. What song is played for the migrants to square dance to at the dance in Chapter 24?
(a) "Dosey Do."
(b) "Grab and Dance."
(c) "Mountain Banjo Song."
(d) "Chicken Reel."
5. What apparently causes the rattling pound in the touring car in Chapter 16?
(b) Loose gasket.
(c) Con-rod bearing.
(d) Broken rims.
6. What happens with the Joads' car after they pass Bakersfield heading north in Chapter 26?
(a) Its engine overheats.
(b) It hits a deer.
(c) It runs out of gas.
(d) It gets a flat tire.
7. What is the name of Timothy Wallace's son?
8. In the line in which the title of the novel appears in Chapter 25, the narrator states, "In the souls of the people the grapes of wrath are filling and growing heavy, growing heavy for" what (349)?
(c) "The vintage."
9. What does Ma take Tom for dinner at his hideout by the willow trees in Chapter 28?
(a) Chicken pot pies.
(b) Pork chops and potatoes.
(c) Steak and potatoes.
(d) Chicken and dumplings.
10. Ma tells Tom in the beginning of Chapter 26 that he has no right to get what?
11. What does Timothy Wallace define a vagrant as in Chapter 24 (334)?
(a) "Anybody without money."
(b) "Anybody not from here."
(c) "Anybody who don't have an address."
(d) "Anybody a cop don't like."
12. For how long does Timothy Wallace say he and his son have been in California in Chapter 22?
(a) Two months.
(b) Ten months.
(c) Six months.
(d) Two years.
13. Who is the chairman of the Central Committee at the Weedpatch camp?
(a) James Watkins.
(b) Michael Stay.
(c) Jack Wilson.
(d) Ezra Huston.
14. Who offers Tom some Durham tobacco for a smoke at the meeting of the men at the camp in Chapter 26?
15. In Chapter 16, the narrator says of the Joads and Wilsons, "Two days the families were in flight, but on the third the land was too huge for them and they settled into a new technique of living; the highways became their home and movement their medium of" what (164)?
Short Answer Questions
1. What disease that caues inflammation of the spine is described in Chapter 21?
2. Whose music does Bill the truck driver's friend play on the phonograph in Chapter 15?
3. By what name are the Okies' encampments called?
4. On what day of the week is the dance held at the Weedpatch camp in Chapter 24?
5. How much money does Pa say they have left once the Joads reach California and camp for the day in Chapter 18?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)