|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tom have for breakfast with fellow campers at the Weedpatch camp on his first morning there?
(a) Oatmeal and apples.
(b) Bacon and biscuits with gravy.
(c) Waffles and strawberries.
(d) Pancakes with maple syrup.
2. What is the name of the Wainwrights' teenage daughter?
3. What musical instrument does the narrator in Chapter 23 describe as rare and hard to learn?
(a) A banjo.
(b) A trumpet.
(c) A fiddle.
(d) A flute.
4. What does the narrator say that the owners followed by importing "slaves" in Chapter 19?
5. What does Timothy Wallace define a vagrant as in Chapter 24 (334)?
(a) "Anybody not from here."
(b) "Anybody a cop don't like."
(c) "Anybody who don't have an address."
(d) "Anybody without money."
6. What apparently causes the rattling pound in the touring car in Chapter 16?
(b) Con-rod bearing.
(c) Broken rims.
(d) Loose gasket.
7. How much money does the man offer for picking cotton that Ma encounters on her way back to the camp after seeing Tom in Chapter 28?
(a) 65 cents.
(b) 40 cents.
(c) 90 cents.
(d) 2 dollars.
8. Where do the Joads go to the coroner's office in Chapter 20?
(d) San Francisco.
9. What does Winfield say he hit a boy at the camp that day in Chapter 26?
(a) Because he called them Okies.
(b) Because he hit his sister.
(c) Because he called his father a vagrant.
(d) Because he insulted his mother.
10. What is the name of the neighbors to the Joads at the cotton ranch in Chapter 28?
(a) The Charlestons.
(b) The Wilsons.
(c) The Kimbles.
(d) The Wainwrights.
11. What are crops like lettuce, cauliflower, artichokes, and potatoes referred to as in Chapter 19?
(a) Lost crops.
(b) Stoop crops.
(c) Top crops.
(d) Standing crops.
12. What does Ma take Tom for dinner at his hideout by the willow trees in Chapter 28?
(a) Pork chops and potatoes.
(b) Steak and potatoes.
(c) Chicken and dumplings.
(d) Chicken pot pies.
13. By what name does the waitress call the truck driver Bill in Chapter 15?
(a) Big Bill the Rat.
(b) Bully Bill.
(c) Bill the Bouncer.
(d) Bill the Speedster.
14. What does Rose of Sharon say Connie wants to study by correspondence in Chapter 16?
(a) Mechanical engineering.
15. What sound awakens Tom as he sleeps in the truck on the Joads' first night at the Weedpatch camp?
(a) Clashing iron.
(b) Howling wolves.
(d) Howling coyotes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the man on the highway tell the Joads to go work picking peaches in Chapter 26?
2. How much money does Ma give to Tom when she goes to see him at his hideout in Chapter 28?
3. On what day of the week is the dance held at the Weedpatch camp in Chapter 24?
4. By what name are the Okies' encampments called?
5. What does Al steal to make a ridge pole on the truck in Chapter 16?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)