|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many acres does Tom Joad say his father owns in Chapter 2?
2. What does Tom describe Uncle John leaving on his pillow when he was a kid in Chapter 8?
(a) A walnut.
(b) A candy cane.
(c) A quarter.
(d) A pack of gum.
3. During what historical era does The Grapes of Wrath take place?
(a) The Great Depression.
(b) The Roaring Twenties.
(c) The Victorian Era.
(d) The Renaissance.
4. How does the narrator describe the sun in Chapter 1?
5. Who was the mother of the baby that was eaten by a pig next to the Joads'?
(a) Milly Jacobs.
(b) Molly Rogers.
(c) Anna Winter.
(d) Dolly Parkins.
6. What highway is described as going from Clarksville and Ozark and Van Buren and Fort Smith through Arkansas in Chapter 12?
(a) Highway 101.
(b) Highway 45.
(c) Highway 34.
(d) Highway 62.
7. What literary device is used in the following sentence from Chapter 2? "His hands were hard, with broad fingers and nails as thick and ridged as little clam shells" (9).
(a) Literary allusion.
8. What does Tom Joad offer the truck driver a "snort" of in Chapter 2 (14)?
9. How does Tom describe his Uncle John?
10. Who drives the truck after the Joads leave the gas station in Chapter 13?
11. What book does Ma say Tom's Pa's pa confused with Scripture in Chapter 10?
(a) The Virgen de Fatima.
(b) Dr. Miles' Almanac.
(c) The Winning of Barbara Worth.
(d) A Lost World.
12. Who does Tom describe having sex in a barn when he brought a heifer to mate with a bull in Chapter 8?
(a) Jack Simpson.
(b) Gerald Smith.
(c) Willy Feely.
(d) Cane Rogers.
13. What does the driver of the truck do as it approaches the turtle on the highway in Chapter 3?
(a) It swerves to hit it.
(b) It swerves to avoid it.
(c) It stops and honks.
(d) It stops and backs over the turtle.
14. What does the 40-year-old woman do as she approaches the turtle on the highway in Chapter 3?
(a) She stops and honks.
(b) She swerves to avoid it.
(c) She swerves to hit it.
(d) She stops her car and takes the turtle.
15. What does the used car lot owner wish he had a thousand of in Chapter 7?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Wilson give Tom a paper from to write a note regarding Grampa's death when they bury him?
2. What is Ivy Wilson's wife's name?
3. Who is driving the car in the beginning of Chapter 13?
4. Who is Rose of Sharon married to?
5. What does the truck driver say he is hoping to study through correspondence school in Chapter 2?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)