|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Tom Joad first encounter Jim Casy in Chapter 4?
(a) At the movie theater.
(b) In a cemetary.
(c) At the post office.
(d) Under a willow tree.
2. During what historical era does The Grapes of Wrath take place?
(a) The Great Depression.
(b) The Victorian Era.
(c) The Roaring Twenties.
(d) The Renaissance.
3. What book does Ma say Tom's Pa's pa confused with Scripture in Chapter 10?
(a) The Winning of Barbara Worth.
(b) Dr. Miles' Almanac.
(c) A Lost World.
(d) The Virgen de Fatima.
4. Where does the truck driver describe a dance where someone was killed in Chapter 2?
5. What parts of a car does the narrator say "can rattle till Jesus comes again with no harm" in Chapter 12 (120)?
6. What does Tom say is the first thing that kids do when they know a house is empty in Chapter 6?
(a) Make up ghost stories.
(b) Throw rocks at the windows.
(c) Come inside to steal things.
(d) Call the police.
7. What happens to the Joads' dog in Chapter 13?
(a) It is hit by a car.
(b) It is shot.
(c) It runs away.
(d) It starves to death.
8. Of whom does Tom say in Chapter 8, "He's gettin' screwy like a gopher, livin' like he does" (69)?
9. What does the willow tree hang over at the Joad homestead?
(a) The shed.
(b) The pig pen.
(c) The corn field.
(d) The rose garden.
10. How long does Tom say he has been away from home in Chapter 4?
(a) Four years.
(b) Eight years.
(c) Two years.
(d) Six years.
11. Who does Tom describe having sex in a barn when he brought a heifer to mate with a bull in Chapter 8?
(a) Cane Rogers.
(b) Willy Feely.
(c) Jack Simpson.
(d) Gerald Smith.
12. What book does the author reference in Chapter 9?
(a) The Great Gatsby.
(b) Pilgrim's Progress.
(c) Tomorrow's Road.
(d) To Have and Have Not.
13. What kind of animal does Casy describe as clinging with its jaws until one pries its head apart with a screwdriver in Chapter 13?
(b) Gila monster.
14. What is the pretty town that is described on the border of California in Chapter 12?
15. What sin does Casy say he committed after his fervent prayer meetings in Chapter 4?
(a) He overate.
(b) He smoked cigarettes and drank whiskey.
(c) He had sex with girls in the grass.
(d) He felt wrath for his constituents.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is referred to as "the monster" in Chapter 5 (36)?
2. What town does one reach after crossing the desert when entering California by Highway 66, according to the narrator in Chapter 12?
3. For how long has Tom Joad been in prison when he is released?
4. What newspaper does Tom see curling in the corner of the kitchen in Chapter 6?
5. How much does Tom say his liquor cost when he offers some to Casy in Chapter 4?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)