|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Tom use to kill the man that pulled a knife on him in a bar fight?
(a) A flip-blade.
(b) A shovel.
(c) A pistol.
(d) A hammer.
2. Who is the tractor driver's father in Chapter 5?
(a) John Wilkins.
(b) Gerald Ross.
(c) James Rogers.
(d) Joe Davis.
3. Who does Tom say visited at McAlester last Christmas with cornet music in Chapter 10?
(a) The Girl Scouts of America.
(b) The Red Cross.
(c) The Salvation Army.
(d) The Lutheran Church.
4. Who is Rose of Sharon married to?
5. How long had Uncle John been married when his wife died?
(a) Eight months.
(b) Two months.
(c) Six months.
(d) Four months.
6. Who was the mother of the baby that was eaten by a pig next to the Joads'?
(a) Dolly Parkins.
(b) Molly Rogers.
(c) Milly Jacobs.
(d) Anna Winter.
7. What is referred to as "the monster" in Chapter 5 (36)?
(b) The bank.
(c) The tenant farmers.
(d) The government.
8. What does Tom describe Uncle John leaving on his pillow when he was a kid in Chapter 8?
(a) A quarter.
(b) A walnut.
(c) A pack of gum.
(d) A candy cane.
9. What is the pretty town that is described on the border of California in Chapter 12?
10. What highway is described as going from Clarksville and Ozark and Van Buren and Fort Smith through Arkansas in Chapter 12?
(a) Highway 62.
(b) Highway 101.
(c) Highway 34.
(d) Highway 45.
11. How many acres does Tom Joad say his father owns in Chapter 2?
12. What does the truck driver say he is hoping to study through correspondence school in Chapter 2?
(b) Banking management.
(c) Mechanical engineering.
13. What does the 40-year-old woman do as she approaches the turtle on the highway in Chapter 3?
(a) She swerves to avoid it.
(b) She stops and honks.
(c) She swerves to hit it.
(d) She stops her car and takes the turtle.
14. How are Tom Joad's clothes described in Chapter 2?
(a) Cheap and new.
(b) Covered in mud.
(c) Expensive and new.
(d) Old and ragged.
15. How many people were in the family that was picked up by a sedan that pulled their trailer to California, according to the narrator in Chapter 12?
Short Answer Questions
1. What literary device is used in the following sentence from Chapter 2? "His hands were hard, with broad fingers and nails as thick and ridged as little clam shells" (9).
2. What does Grampa Joad die from in Chapter 13?
3. What does Tom say is the first thing that kids do when they know a house is empty in Chapter 6?
4. What book does the author reference in Chapter 9?
5. Who is driving the car in the beginning of Chapter 13?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)