|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Mrs. Russell say could have brought the find to the park?
2. Who claimed to have the news station idea?
3. Why wouldn't Skelly get in the cab?
4. What was Jake worried about after his dream?
5. Why is Jake's mother upset with him after dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of relationship did Jake and James have with each other? How did it manifest itself at the dinner table?
2. How did Skelly react to getting back home?
3. What was happening when Jake came home from looking for Skelly?
4. What problem did Jake have with his book report, and how did his teacher response?
5. What were the police doing in the park as part of their search for Skelly?
6. How did Jake feel about graduation three weeks before it happened?
7. Jake watched Mrs. Russell out the window as she helped Skelly. How did she treat him?
8. What surprised the family about the segment on the evening news?
9. What did Jake dream about that made him even more worried about Skelly?
10. How did Jake feel about sleeping while Skelly was missing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author break stereotypes in the scenes where Skelly disappears and when he is found? Cite at least two examples of broken stereotypes or false first impressions.
Essay Topic 2
Alma Russell is an interesting mix of caregiver and comic relief. Explain her part in the story and how she affects Jake. What does he learn from her, and how does he treat her?
Essay Topic 3
How does Jake's graduation scene demonstrate how he has matured in his relationship with his grandfather? What led to this change?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)