|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Skelly react to the attention he received when he got home?
2. What book did Jake have to read for his report?
3. What does Jake's mom say the result of his bitterness will be?
4. What did Mrs. Russell do while Skelly was gone?
5. What does Jake tell the cop about Skelly?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Jake reacted to the news of his grandfather's disappearance?
2. How did Skelly react to getting back home?
3. What were the police doing in the park as part of their search for Skelly?
4. Where had Aunt Marguerite been?
5. Why had the police officer come so early in the morning, and what did he bring with him?
6. How did Jake feel about sleeping while Skelly was missing?
7. What was different when Jake went home from school after the fire drill?
8. What was happening when Jake came home from looking for Skelly?
9. What had happened to Skelly?
10. What kind of relationship did Jake and James have with each other? How did it manifest itself at the dinner table?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author puts a lot of emphasis on the importance of a name. Using examples from the book, describe what Jake's name meant to him, how Skelly got his name, and how Skelly changed a young boy's life by giving him a strong nickname.
Essay Topic 2
What were some of the major and minor concerns that Jake had when Skelly disappeared and didn't come back by nightfall? What did he learn about those who were trying to help the family?
Essay Topic 3
Alma Russell is an interesting mix of caregiver and comic relief. Explain her part in the story and how she affects Jake. What does he learn from her, and how does he treat her?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)