|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Aunt Marguerite help?
2. What did Mrs. Russell do while Skelly was gone?
3. What did Jake miss as he prepared his book report?
4. How did Jake stay awake?
5. What are Ma and Mrs. Russell doing when Jake gets home from school the day he is supposed to do his book report?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of relationship did Jake and James have with each other? How did it manifest itself at the dinner table?
2. What was the policeman like who helped Jake look for his grandfather?
3. What were the police doing in the park as part of their search for Skelly?
4. What had happened to Skelly?
5. How did Jake feel about Sunday night dinner? What was unique about it?
6. What problem did Jake have with his book report, and how did his teacher response?
7. How did Jake feel about graduation three weeks before it happened?
8. How did Jake treat Mrs. Russell?
9. What was happening when Jake came home from looking for Skelly?
10. How did Jake feel about sleeping while Skelly was missing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the incident where Skelly breaks his wrists symbolize the breaking of his life?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the irony of the experience Jake had with his report and what he discovered when he went home that day.
Essay Topic 3
What were some of the major and minor concerns that Jake had when Skelly disappeared and didn't come back by nightfall? What did he learn about those who were trying to help the family?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)