|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was used to remind Skelly of things?
2. How did Jake know his grandfather was getting worse?
3. How does the old man react to the boys at first?
4. What did Skelly begin to call Jake?
5. What did Skelly do with the flower seeds he was given to cheer him up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when Jake had breakfast in the restaurant with Skelly and his mom?
2. How did Skelly embarrass Jake during the sleepover?
3. What coping mechanisms do they turn to in order to help Skelly?
4. Who taught Jake about working with wood, and what did he learn?
5. How did the old man react to the boys?
6. What was Mrs. Russell like?
7. How did Skelly's nickname for Thorbert change him?
8. What happens when Jake's mom gets a work promotion?
9. How does Jake feel about taking care of Skelly?
10. What happened at the dinner table on Valentine's Day that bothered Jake?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Jake see the stages of Alzheimer's? Describe Skelly's progression through the stages, backing up each stage with specifics from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the term "flashback." Describe how the author used a flashback to introduce the reader to Skelly and Jake.
Essay Topic 3
How does the author break stereotypes in the scenes where Skelly disappears and when he is found? Cite at least two examples of broken stereotypes or false first impressions.
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)