|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Skelly getting confused about at the dinner table?
2. What kind of baby was Jake?
3. What did mom struggle to do?
4. Why did Jake have to give up his Valentine King crown?
5. How did Jake feel when he was playing football?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the old man react to the boys?
2. How did Jake react to the humiliation he felt after the sleepover?
3. What coping mechanisms do they turn to in order to help Skelly?
4. What happens when Jake's mom tries to give him a "normal" life?
5. How did Skelly's nickname for Thorbert change him?
6. What was Jake's mom like when he was a baby?
7. How did Skelly embarrass Jake during the sleepover?
8. How did the grandfather get the name Skelly?
9. What happened when Jake stayed after school one day to play football?
10. What happens when Jake's mom gets a work promotion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the term "flashback." Describe how the author used a flashback to introduce the reader to Skelly and Jake.
Essay Topic 2
How are the changes brought about in a household due to Alzheimer's similar to changes brought about by other factors such as divorce and injury? How are they different?
Essay Topic 3
How does the author show the changes in Jake as he ages throughout the book? What new choices does he have in his life, and how does he decide to face these choices?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)