|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Janet Tashjian claim to have received the manuscript for 'The Gospel According to Larry'?
2. Why does Josh say he cannot sell a product?
3. How does Peter account for the thing that shocks Josh at the cemetery?
4. How many possessions does Josh have?
5. What claim do people make about Josh Swensen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does 'The Gospel According to Larry' begin?
2. How does Josh's personal life intrude on Larry's sermons?
3. How does Josh get in touch with his mother?
4. Where does Josh go for a 'whole new level of solitude' when he wants to think?
5. What is the response to the Larry fan club?
6. Describe Josh's visit to the cemetery with Peter.
7. What is the relationship between Josh and Beth?
8. What is Josh's relationship with his possessions?
9. What is Beth asking Josh to do when the novel opens?
10. What is Josh's catch-22?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think it was necessary for Josh to stage his own death? Could he have lived with the media attention, and used it for good? What other options did he have beside pseudocide, and why was pseudocide his best option?
Essay Topic 2
How realistic is this book? What parts are not believable? What leaps of faith does the author require of the reader?
Essay Topic 3
What literary devices does Tashjian use in 'The Gospel According to Larry', and how do they contribute to the meaning of the book? How does she use personification? Characterization? Foreshadowing? What others does she use?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)