|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the author of 'The Gospel According to Larry' put at the beginning of each chapter?
2. When did Josh start to limit his possessions?
3. What answer does Josh get when he asks his mother whether she will help him change the world?
4. Why doesn't Josh want to give Larry up?
5. What claim do people make about Josh Swensen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the importance of the epigraph for Part 1?
2. What is Josh's catch-22?
3. How does Larry's website get noticed?
4. Describe Josh's visit to the cemetery with Peter.
5. How does Josh get in touch with his mother?
6. What does Josh Swensen give Tashjian?
7. What does Tashjian foreshadow in the beginning of Part 2?
8. Who is Janet Tashjian?
9. What is the response to the Larry fan club?
10. What items does Josh post photos of on Larry's website?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write about your own reading of 'The Gospel According to Larry'--did you resist it, or were you compelled by the story? What does your reading tell you about yourself and your interests? Use specific examples from the book to describe yourself as a reader.
Essay Topic 2
What is the importance of family in 'The Gospel According to Larry'? Could Josh have written 'The Gospel According to Larry' if he had a stable, happy family? Was the website and then the book a kind of compensation for his lack of family?
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of the Bible in 'The Gospel According to Larry'? How is Josh's book a Bible, and how is it rebelling against being a Bible?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)