|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What idea does Josh draw from 1984?
(a) The idea of utopian living.
(b) The idea of corporate control of people's lives.
(c) The idea of making non-violent resistance to totalitarian culture.
(d) The idea of simplifying life.
2. What is Beth telling Josh at the beginning of 'The Gospel According to Larry'?
(a) That Josh should stop writing to her.
(b) That she had discovered a new writer.
(c) That she enjoyed reading the rant on the website.
(d) That she didn't understand something she had read.
3. What does the person who gives Janet Tashjian the manuscript of 'The Gospel According to Larry' say about how she can reach him?
(a) That she can email.
(b) That she can send him a message.
(c) That it is impossible.
(d) That she can call.
4. Who attends the first Larry fan club meeting?
(a) The teeny-boppers.
(b) Students from all cliques.
(c) The smart students.
(d) The popular kids.
5. What does a teacher tell Tashjian about Josh Swensen?
(a) He is a genius.
(b) He is the Messiah.
(c) He has a Messiah complex.
(d) He is schizophrenic.
6. Where does Josh go to write sermon 113?
(b) The forest.
(c) The basement.
(d) The lakeshore.
7. What is Josh's medium for conducting this fight?
(a) Disruptive acts.
(b) Letters to local newspapers.
(c) A website.
(d) Nonviolent protests.
8. What answer does Josh get when he asks his mother whether she will help him change the world?
(a) A boy asks 'do we have to?'
(b) A man says 'yes of course I will'.
(c) A mother says 'I won't allow you to do that'.
(d) A woman says 'you must be crazy'.
9. What are Tashjian's feelings about the manuscript?
(a) She thinks it is not ready for publication yet.
(b) She thinks it is important and should be published.
(c) She thinks it is dangerous, and should be handed over to the police.
(d) She thinks it is a good start but needs a lot of work.
10. How many possessions does Josh have?
11. How many hits does Josh get on Larry's site after Bono draws attention to it?
(a) Over a million.
(b) Over a hundred thousand.
(c) More than five hundred thousand.
(d) Four million.
12. How does Josh interpret signs of death around him?
(a) As predicting a major change in his life.
(b) As predicting that someone around him will die.
(c) As predicting his death.
(d) As predicting Larry's death.
13. What claim do people make about Josh Swensen?
(a) That he hates society.
(b) That he was institutionalized.
(c) That he is bipolar.
(d) That he is violent.
14. How old was the person who gave Tashjian the manuscript?
15. Where had the person who gave Tashjian the manuscript just returned from?
(a) The mall.
(b) Walden Pond.
(c) New York City.
(d) Niagara Falls.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Josh complain about in sermon 93?
2. Where is Josh's mother?
3. Why did Tashjian agree to take the manuscript?
4. What shocks Josh at the cemetery?
5. Where does the quote at the opening of Part 1 come from?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)