|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Erich Luth say the German nation lacks?
2. According to Tommy Corcoran, how did Germany support their propaganda machine?
3. According to Bill Mauldin, what did Russia waste after the war?
4. What did John Baker know if he heard an up-and-down howling siren as a child?
5. Why didn't Henry Hatfield want to broadcast the destruction done to German cities?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the FBI suspect the cartoonist, Milton Caniff?
2. According to Lowell Steward, what was the status of the black Tuskegee flying squadron?
3. How does Bill Mauldin believe most infantrymen thought the war should be settled?
4. What does Sheril Cunning say communal spirit was like during the war?
5. How did Galatea Berger say the Third Reich was recorded in her school history classes?
6. What does Hans Gobeler believe is the greatest danger to the future of the world?
7. What was the result of Joseph Small's mutiny trial?
8. According to Yasuko Dower, what was different about American customs that she observed when the country was occupied by U.S. troops?
9. What made Sheril Cunning sad about John Wayne war movies?
10. What does Werner Burckhardt believe offers hope for the future of mankind?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki were perhaps the most dramatic and controversial events of the war. Do you believe Truman was right or wrong to order the bombs to destroy those cities? Cite experiences related by the people in this book to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Those who volunteered to involve themselves in the war against the fascist dictator in Spain, Franco, were designated PAFs - premature anti-fascists - by the war department and designated as unfit for active duty. If fascism is evil, is it possible to fight it prematurely? What do the PAFs believe would have been the result for the world if Franco had been defeated? In your essay, give your opinion about the PAFs and support your opinion with data from the text.
Essay Topic 3
There were a variety of attitudes displayed toward those who were conquered after the war by the conquerors. Discuss the differences in the way conquered people were treated, citing examples from the accounts in the text, and give your opinion as to the results of those decisions.
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)