|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jack Short think the GI bill might have been detrimental in the long run?
2. How does Mike Royko believe most U.S. soldiers felt about the Korean conflict?
3. How did Frank Keegan and his high school buddies respond to the invasion of Pearl Harbor?
4. How does film critic Pauline Kael feel about the World War II movies?
5. Why did Mike Royko spent nights in a pitch-black apartment as a child during the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the Japanese code of bushido, and what difference did it make to American fighting men?
2. What stereotypes developed in young people's thinking during the war?
3. Why were the troops not allowed to keep diaries of their experiences and what effect did that prohibition have?
4. How did the war affect college-aged men?
5. How did Betty Hutchinson's feelings about war change over time?
6. What was the difference between the fate of Russian prisoners of war and American and British POWs?
7. How was Peggy Terry's health compromised by her efforts in the war?
8. How did Dellie Hahne see women's role in the war effort?
9. Why did John Ciardi feel that sports analogies confused soldiers?
10. What is the difference between the attitudes of Admiral Gene Larocque and General William Buster?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki were perhaps the most dramatic and controversial events of the war. Do you believe Truman was right or wrong to order the bombs to destroy those cities? Cite experiences related by the people in this book to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the learning experiences that changed people's thinking as the war progressed, such as meeting people from other parts of your own country or other parts of the world. Is it your opinion that the long-term effects of the conflict were good or bad? Give reasons for your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Propaganda is implicated as overwhelming the morals and thinking of people on both sides of the war. In your essay, discuss the role of propaganda as delivered through music, movies and other media.
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)