|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was John Abbott's sentence for refusing the draft?
2. Why were people in San Francisco panicked after Pearl Harbor, according to Dennis Keegan?
3. How did Frank Keegan respond to the bombing of Hiroshima?
4. How long was the Bataan Death March?
5. What percentage of the marines in the Guadalcanal campaign were under twenty-one years of age?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did John Kenneth Galbraith feel about Allied bombing?
2. What are some things that the young men in the war experienced for the first time?
3. What was the difference between the fate of Russian prisoners of war and American and British POWs?
4. How does Peggy Terry feel about war now?
5. What was the Japanese code of bushido, and what difference did it make to American fighting men?
6. What is the difference between the attitudes of Admiral Gene Larocque and General William Buster?
7. How were the American prisoners of war treated by the German guards?
8. How did Dellie Hahne see women's role in the war effort?
9. How did Akira Miuri feel about Americans during the war?
10. According to Paul Pisicano, how was WWII different for Italian Americans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"It was easy not to know," said one reporter. Participants on both sides of the conflict claimed ignorance of events, policies and plans. Cite examples of deliberate or programmed ignorance and discuss why such ignorance was possible or necessary.
Essay Topic 2
Propaganda is implicated as overwhelming the morals and thinking of people on both sides of the war. In your essay, discuss the role of propaganda as delivered through music, movies and other media.
Essay Topic 3
Is obedience a virtue, an immoral act, or both? Discuss examples of those who obeyed questionable orders, their reasons for doing so, and the results. Give your opinion about the importance, necessity or negative results of unquestioning obedience.
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)