|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why were the soldiers forbidden to keep diaries?
2. Who attacked Mexican youth in Los Angeles during the Zoot Suit riots?
3. What is a dogfight?
4. Why were civilians saving fat during the war?
5. What right for ex-felons did John Abbott win in the Supreme Court?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Peggy Terry's health compromised by her efforts in the war?
2. How did Betty Hutchinson's feelings about war change over time?
3. What is the difference between the attitudes of Admiral Gene Larocque and General William Buster?
4. How did the war affect college-aged men?
5. How were the American prisoners of war treated by the German guards?
6. Why were civilians unkind to wounded war veterans, according to Betty Hutchinson?
7. Why were the troops not allowed to keep diaries of their experiences and what effect did that prohibition have?
8. What was the Japanese code of bushido, and what difference did it make to American fighting men?
9. What was the difference between the fate of Russian prisoners of war and American and British POWs?
10. According to Admiral Gene Larocque, what were the negative long-range effects of WWII within the United States?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"It was easy not to know," said one reporter. Participants on both sides of the conflict claimed ignorance of events, policies and plans. Cite examples of deliberate or programmed ignorance and discuss why such ignorance was possible or necessary.
Essay Topic 2
Officers often kept the troops in ignorance of their destinations, missions and purposes. Give your opinion as to why this was so, and the result of programmed ignorance on the troops and on the outcome of their efforts.
Essay Topic 3
The bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki were perhaps the most dramatic and controversial events of the war. Do you believe Truman was right or wrong to order the bombs to destroy those cities? Cite experiences related by the people in this book to support your opinion.
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)