|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Bill Mauldin think was the only nice guy among the WWII generals?
2. What does Gloria Gleason say bothered people most about the war?
(b) Waste of resources.
(c) Moral issues.
(d) Loss of life.
3. What was a Victory Garden?
(a) A garden shaped like a V for victory.
(b) A military garden.
(c) A communal vegetable garden.
(d) A communal flower garden.
4. Why didn't Henry Hatfield want to broadcast the destruction done to German cities?
(a) He was heartsick at the ruins he observed.
(b) He didn't think Americans wanted to gloat.
(c) He thought Germany was old news.
(d) He thought other stories were more compelling.
5. According to Lee Oremont, why did people splurge on food and liquor during the war?
(a) Consumers were storing those items.
(b) Consumers wanted to forget their troubles.
(c) Consumers had good jobs and couldn't get cars or gas.
(d) Consumers believed there was no future to save for.
6. According to Tommy Corcoran, why did Britain decide to fight Japan?
(a) They were already mobilized against Hitler.
(b) They were supporting their ally, China.
(c) British interests in the Far East were imperiled.
(d) They were outraged by Pearl Harbor.
7. How did the Japanese people feel about the Japanese war veterans?
8. Who does Jacques Rabou believe could be persuaded to follow another Hitler?
(a) Those who feel vengeful.
(b) Ignorant people.
9. How does Olga Norwak characterize wartime romance?
(a) It moved faster.
(b) It was suspended until after the war.
(c) It moved more slowly.
(d) It was riskier.
10. How was Eddie Slovik punished for desertion?
(a) He was hanged.
(b) He was shot.
(c) He was turned over to the enemy.
(d) He was imprisoned.
11. What were newsmen in the OWI not allowed to do?
(a) Broadcast commentary.
(b) Broadcast non-official news.
(c) Broadcast news.
(d) Broadcast breaking stories.
12. What did Walter Rosenblum do during WWII?
(a) He was a combat photographer.
(b) He was a Voice of America reporter.
(c) He was a brigade commander.
(d) He was a flautist in the army band.
13. According to Tommy Bridges, how were GI rapists and murderers punished?
(a) They were imprisoned.
(b) They were turned over to the enemy.
(c) They were hanged.
(d) They were shot.
14. What did American soldiers do on the streets of Japan that was considered bad manners?
(a) Flirt with women.
(b) Drink alcohol.
(c) Chew gum.
15. What was a victory girl?
(a) A military nurse.
(b) A girl who joined the Women's Army Corps.
(c) A girl who sang with Bob Hope.
(d) A girl who danced at the USO and wrote letters to soldiers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Richard Leacock say was his worst memory of WWII?
2. How many soldiers were killed when the ammunition dump at Port Chicago blew up?
3. According to James Rowe, why should government rationing not have been employed?
4. What is a thirteen-week wonder?
5. What did Joseph Levine say that Jewish children begged for after the war?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)