|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to James Rowe, when do Democrats become Republicans?
(a) When they become richer.
(b) When they become more foolish.
(c) When they become poorer.
(d) When they become smarter.
2. How does Olga Norwak characterize wartime romance?
(a) It moved faster.
(b) It was riskier.
(c) It was suspended until after the war.
(d) It moved more slowly.
3. Why was George Page able to buy beachfront property cheaply during the war?
(a) People weren't interested in buying real estate.
(b) People expected a Japanese invasion.
(c) People had no money to invest.
(d) People were only building in the cities.
4. How did thieves among army personnel fool the MPs?
(a) The thieves would sell equipment and claim it was stolen.
(b) The thieves would pretend they lost equipment.
(c) The thieves would hide equipment and go back for it later.
(d) The thieves would over-report their battle losses.
5. Why did American prisoners of war like to trade Red Cross packages with Indian prisoners of war?
(a) The Indians did not smoke or eat meat, so traded those items.
(b) The Indians had fresh produce.
(c) The Indians liked blood sausage.
(d) The Indians liked American jerky and cookies.
6. According to Tommy Corcoran why did the Allies partner with Russia against the Axis?
(a) Because Russians were superior fighters.
(b) To save France.
(c) To prevent Hitler from overrunning Britain.
(d) To prevent a Cold War.
7. According to Bill Mauldin, what did Russia waste after the war?
(a) Food and supplies.
(b) American good will.
(c) British support.
(d) The lives of their soldiers.
8. What kept Herman Kogan from being afraid during the assaults on Sugarloaf Hill?
(a) He was too tired to be afraid.
(b) He was too intent on getting the story to be afraid.
(c) He was unaware of the danger.
(d) He was in no danger.
9. Who did Jacques Raboud say were the most likely to survive prison camps?
(a) Those who were strongly religious.
(b) Those who planned to survive.
(c) Those who had good health.
(d) Those who gave up.
10. Why did Erich Luth refuse to fire his gun in the German army?
(a) He was afraid to fire.
(b) He was opposed to war.
(c) He was a terrible shot.
(d) He didn't want a decoration with a swastika on it.
11. According to Alfred Duckett, what bothered black soldiers most?
(a) The treatment of their visiting wives and girlfriends.
(b) The mistreatment of new recruits.
(c) The lack of equal opportunities for combat.
(d) The lack of opportunities for advancement.
12. According to Tommy Bridges, how were GI rapists and murderers punished?
(a) They were hanged.
(b) They were shot.
(c) They were imprisoned.
(d) They were turned over to the enemy.
13. According to Lee Oremont, why did people splurge on food and liquor during the war?
(a) Consumers believed there was no future to save for.
(b) Consumers were storing those items.
(c) Consumers wanted to forget their troubles.
(d) Consumers had good jobs and couldn't get cars or gas.
14. Who does Bill Mauldin think was the only nice guy among the WWII generals?
15. What was a shadow box?
(a) A place to make movies.
(b) A place to take photos.
(c) A place to hide during strafing.
(d) A place to show movies.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Sheril Cunning's mother's war experience like the New York Stock Exchange?
2. What advantage does Alfred Duckett believe the war offered blacks?
3. Why didn't Henry Hatfield want to broadcast the destruction done to German cities?
4. What did Goebler see for the first time when the Americans rescued the German submarine crew?
5. What racism did Sheril Cunning experience growing up in California?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)