|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Ray Wax, which country produced the toughest soldiers?
(c) The U.S.
2. According to Joe Marcus, why are military men sympathetic to business?
(a) Military men and businessmen are the same kind of people.
(b) Military men strive to win over businessmen.
(c) The military relies on business products.
(d) Business supports the military.
3. What effect does Richard Leacock claim direct contact with death had upon him?
(a) He became sure he would be killed.
(b) He became less fearful of dying.
(c) He became unconcerned about dying.
(d) He became more fearful of dying.
4. What was a Victory Garden?
(a) A garden shaped like a V for victory.
(b) A military garden.
(c) A communal vegetable garden.
(d) A communal flower garden.
5. What advantage does Alfred Duckett believe the war offered blacks?
(b) A chance to prove themselves.
6. How did Yasuko Kurachi Dower believe most Japanese civilians felt about the war?
7. What impressed Herman Kogan about the trainees in boot camp?
(a) Their selflessness.
(b) Their patriotism.
(c) Their courage.
(d) Their philosophy of war.
8. Who did Jacques Raboud say were the most likely to survive prison camps?
(a) Those who planned to survive.
(b) Those who had good health.
(c) Those who gave up.
(d) Those who were strongly religious.
9. What did Walter Rosenblum do during WWII?
(a) He was a brigade commander.
(b) He was a Voice of America reporter.
(c) He was a combat photographer.
(d) He was a flautist in the army band.
10. According to Bill Mauldin, what did Russia waste after the war?
(a) American good will.
(b) British support.
(c) Food and supplies.
(d) The lives of their soldiers.
11. Why didn't dehydrated foods sell well after the war?
(a) Water was scarce.
(b) People were growing their own produce.
(c) Fresh produce was more readily available.
(d) Soldiers were tired of dehydrated products.
12. Why did Ray Wax think soldiers in the regular army were inferior?
(a) Many were from the South.
(b) Many had joined to avoid jail time.
(c) Many tested low on IQ tests.
(d) Many were from poor educational backgrounds.
13. According to Tommy Corcoran, how did Germany support their propaganda machine?
(a) Bayer's monopoly of the pharmaceutical business.
(b) Volkswagen's monopoly of the auto industry.
(c) Porsche's racing cars.
(d) Anheuser-Busch's control of the beer market.
14. What did British boys learn in the Know Your Enemy program?
(a) Aircraft recognition.
(b) Fascist philosophy.
(c) Weapon recognition.
(d) German language.
15. Why does Walter Rosenblum believe war photographers were privileged?
(a) They could live off base.
(b) They were popular.
(c) They had a front row seat for history.
(d) They had access to army rations.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the OWI?
2. According to James Rowe, why should government rationing not have been employed?
3. What did Richard Leacock say was his worst memory of WWII?
4. What does Erich Luth say the German nation lacks?
5. What were newsmen in the OWI not allowed to do?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)