|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why were thirty-two American servicemen killed after hearing the announcement of Japan's surrender?
(a) Collisions caused by drunk driving.
(b) Stray bullets from the celebration.
(c) Executions for war crimes.
(d) Retaliation from the Hawaiian Japanese.
2. How did Robert Rasmus feel looking at the faces of the German dead?
(a) They didn't seem real.
(b) They were brutish and cruel.
(c) They were an abstraction, not human beings.
(d) They were boys like him.
3. What does John Ciardi believe could make anyone savage?
(a) Uncontrolled anger.
(b) Deprivation and suffering.
(c) A propaganda barrage.
(d) Loyalty to false leadership.
4. What was as important to Italian Americans as cars to mainstream Americans before WWII, according to Paul Pisicano?
5. Why does Robert Rasmus say he could remember people he knew for a short time many years ago?
(a) His short-term memory is weaker.
(b) He looks at the yearbooks from time to time.
(c) They kept in touch over the years.
(d) The war made everything more memorable.
6. How many support personnel were behind each rifleman?
7. What did the Japanese code of war, Bushido, mean?
(a) Be all you can be.
(b) No surrender.
(c) Do your best.
(d) In it to win it.
8. What caused Dellie Hahne to begin to distrust her government?
(a) The change in status of Russia from enemy to ally.
(b) The pressure to marry a soldier.
(c) The unkind treatment of war brides.
(d) The ration system.
9. Why did Anton Biler join the army?
(a) To learn a trade.
(b) To defeat the Nazis.
(c) To defend his country.
(d) To get an education.
10. What does Robert Lekachman believe was his salvation in the war?
(a) His lack of ability kept him out of OCS.
(b) His physical weakness kept him out of the infantry.
(c) His poor eyesight kept him out of gunnery school.
(d) His skill with strategy made him an officer.
11. What did E.B. Sledge say the war did to American soldiers?
(a) Turned them into cowards.
(b) Turned them into savages.
(c) Turned them into idiots.
(d) Turned them into patriots.
12. What did Admiral Larocque think of the Japanese during the war?
(a) The Japanese were wily and clever.
(b) The Japanese were a superior race.
(c) The Japanese were a lesser species.
(d) The Japanese were unbeatable.
13. What does Paul Pisicano believe binds American suburbians?
(a) Anti-German sentiment.
(b) Anti-black sentiment.
(c) Anti-Jewish sentiment.
(d) Anti-Italian sentiment.
14. Which college students were drafted earliest, according to Akira Miuri?
(a) Humanities majors.
(b) Science majors.
(c) Music majors.
(d) Math majors.
15. What did first-generation Japanese parents mean when they taught their children, gaman?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jack Short think the GI bill might have been detrimental in the long run?
2. Why did Mike Royko spent nights in a pitch-black apartment as a child during the war?
3. Why did Peter Bezich's son go to prison?
4. Why was John Garcia brought before a navy court?
5. What does the classification 4E mean to a soldier?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)