|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Anton Biler join the army?
(a) To defend his country.
(b) To learn a trade.
(c) To get an education.
(d) To defeat the Nazis.
2. What did the Japanese code of war, Bushido, mean?
(a) In it to win it.
(b) Be all you can be.
(c) No surrender.
(d) Do your best.
3. How did American soldiers kill Hawaiian civilians?
(a) Believing they were Japanese spies.
(b) Dropping bombs on Honolulu.
(c) Confusing them with Japanese army personnel.
(d) Firing short-range weapons at Japanese airplanes.
4. Why did Robert Rasmus believe fighting the Russians would fail?
(a) The Russians were willing to sacrifice millions of troops.
(b) The Russians were better equipped.
(c) The Russians were better fighters.
(d) The Russian generals were better strategists.
5. Why did MacArthur land twice when returning to the Philippines?
(a) For the movie cameras.
(b) He forgot his hat.
(c) He didn't feel well and went back to the ship.
(d) He wanted to be sure everyone saw the landing.
6. What did Paul Pisicano believe Italian Americans felt about the Axis countries in World War II?
(a) Italian Americans were ashamed of Mussolini.
(b) Italian Americans were against Hitler and the Japanese, but not the Italians.
(c) Italian Americans wanted to fight on Italian soil.
(d) Italian Americans were neutral about the war.
7. What did first-generation Japanese parents mean when they taught their children, gaman?
8. What changes does Admiral Larocque believe WWII caused in American national consciousness?
(a) Planning for war was unavoidable.
(b) Planning for war became permanently institutionalized.
(c) Planning for war was a religious act.
(d) Planning for war was forever to be avoided.
9. What did soldiers on troop ships understand about their destination, according to General William Buster?
(a) Only where they would spend the first few weeks after landing.
(b) Only what their mission would be upon landing.
(d) Only where they were landing.
10. What did the British women do with their goods during the war?
(a) Hoarded them.
(b) Hid them.
(c) Sold them.
(d) Swapped them.
11. What was each soldier's ration of cigarettes?
(a) A carton a day.
(b) A pack a week.
(c) A carton a week.
(d) A pack a day.
12. What does Dellie Hahne say was the duty of young women during the war?
(a) To dance with soldiers at the USO.
(b) To plant victory gardens.
(c) To sew bandages.
(d) To recycle and conserve energy.
13. Where does Richard Prendergast say the biggest infantrymen are placed?
(a) Behind the rifles carrying mortars.
(b) In the rear with machine guns.
(c) In the tanks.
(d) On the front line carrying rifles.
14. Why was Peter Bezich ordered to sell his boat?
(a) He was suspected of trying to escape.
(b) He was getting strafed by his own men.
(c) His buddies were jealous.
(d) He was envied by the local Filipinos.
15. How did John Kenneth Galbraith say the bombing of Hamburg increased the German war effort?
(a) Destroying businesses made workers available for the war plants.
(b) Destroying existing buildings made building materials available.
(c) The bombing increased anti-Allied sentiments.
(d) It destroyed the homes of the most affluent and capable.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Frank Keegan respond to the bombing of Hiroshima?
2. What did Sarah Killingsworth believe the war offered to her and her family?
3. Why were civilians saving fat during the war?
4. What did Betty Hutchinson say WWII veterans told their children about the war?
5. Why did Mike Royko spent nights in a pitch-black apartment as a child during the war?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)