|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did people in Paducah burn in a bonfire?
(a) Emperor Hirohito's effigy.
(b) All their German products.
(c) All their Japanese products.
(d) Posters of Hitler.
2. Why didn't Maurice Wilson think the Filipinos would hide American escapees from the Japanese prison camp?
(a) The Filipinos were afraid of the Japanese.
(b) The Filipinos would turn them in for the reward.
(c) The Filipinos hated the Americans.
(d) The Filipinos were enemies as well.
3. What does the classification 4E mean to a soldier?
(a) Potential Communist.
(b) Conscientious objector.
(c) Premature anti-Fascist.
(d) Unfit for active duty.
4. What is a dogfight?
(a) Infantry warfare.
(b) Two airplanes firing at each other.
(c) Hand-to-hand combat.
5. Why did the girls in Panama avoid the officers from the battleship Arkansas?
(a) The enlisted sailors told the girls the officers were prisoners.
(b) The enlisted sailors took all the girls.
(c) The enlisted sailors told the girls the officers were married.
(d) The enlisted sailors told the girls the officers had gonorrhea.
6. How does Mike Royko believe most U.S. soldiers felt about the Korean conflict?
(a) They were glad to have their chance to fight.
(b) They wanted to defend South Korea.
(c) They didn't understand it.
(d) They wanted to defeat North Korea.
7. How long was the Bataan Death March?
(a) Twenty miles.
(b) Two hundred miles.
(c) Forty miles.
(d) Sixty miles.
8. How did Robert Rasmus feel looking at the faces of the German dead?
(a) They didn't seem real.
(b) They were boys like him.
(c) They were an abstraction, not human beings.
(d) They were brutish and cruel.
9. Under the Geneva Convention, what type of work did prisoners of war not have to do?
(c) Manufacture of war material.
(d) Road repair.
10. Which college students were drafted earliest, according to Akira Miuri?
(a) Humanities majors.
(b) Math majors.
(c) Music majors.
(d) Science majors.
11. What was as important to Italian Americans as cars to mainstream Americans before WWII, according to Paul Pisicano?
12. Why was Peter Bezich ordered to sell his boat?
(a) He was suspected of trying to escape.
(b) His buddies were jealous.
(c) He was getting strafed by his own men.
(d) He was envied by the local Filipinos.
13. Why did the Germans want to keep the American prisoners of war out of Allied hands?
(a) The prisoners were their only bargaining point.
(b) They were afraid of what the prisoners would do in retaliation.
(c) They expected the war to go on.
(d) They were remorseful about their mistreatment.
14. Why did Londoners run toward parachuting soldiers?
(a) They could use the paracutes to make clothing.
(b) They wanted to assist the Allied soldiers.
(c) They wanted to arrest the enemy soldiers.
(d) They wanted to confiscate their weapons.
15. Who attacked Mexican youth in Los Angeles during the Zoot Suit riots?
(b) High school boys.
(c) Football players.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the Japanese overseers get angry if the American prisoners killed a snake?
2. What does John Ciardi believe could make anyone savage?
3. What did the German soldiers want from the captured Americans that the Americans destroyed?
4. How did American soldiers kill Hawaiian civilians?
5. What is a PAF?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)