|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Christian denomination do Leonora Ashburnham's parents follow?
2. What is the name of the man with whom Leonora tries to have an affair?
3. In Monte Carlo, why does Captain Edward Ashburnham buy an expensive gift for a courtesan?
4. In Part 4, Chapter 5, Captain Edward Ashburnham gives a woman a large sum of money. How much money does Edward give the woman?
5. After Captain Edward Ashburnham's romantic attachment to the woman he met during his reunion with the military , he and his wife go to which of the following places:
Short Essay Questions
1. What must Nancy reject in order to make her decision to meet her mother in Glasgow?
2. Of all the characters presented thus far in the book, who is the most right-minded?
3. Describe the fight that takes place in Part 4, Chapter 2, between Leonora Ashburnham, Nancy Rufford, and Captain Edward Ashburnham?
4. How has Captain Edward Ashburnham changed since his youth?
5. Leonora accepts many of Captain Edward Ashburnham's affairs; however, Leonora does not accept Edward's affair with Florence Dowell. Why does Leonora especially disapprove of Edward's affair with Florence Dowell?
6. Does Leonora Ashburnham approve of the affair between Captain Edward Ashburnham and Maisie Maidan?
7. In Part 4, Chapter 5, John Dowell claims that he is jealous of Leonora Ashburnham. What reason does John have for being jealous of Leonora?
8. Given Captain Edward Ashburnham's adulterous history, why does Leonora Ashburnham send Edward and Nancy to a concert together?
9. Do you think the Ashburnhams have ever consummated their marriage?
10. Why does John Dowell dislike Rodney Bayham?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is Edward Ashburnham a sympathetic character or is he entirely a villain? If Edward is indeed sympathetic, in what instances can the reader view him sympathetically?
Essay Topic 2
In Part 1, Chapter 2, John tells a folktale about a wife, known as a she-wolf, who betrays her husband for a poet who pretends to be an emperor. How does this folktale relate to John's story? How does the folktale parallel John's marriage? Does Florence have any she-wolf qualities? How might Edward be like the poet in the folktale?
Essay Topic 3
The Good Soldier makes explicit comparisons between the awkwardness and unruliness of American life and the stately and opulent life of an English estate. Ford juxtaposes American culture and English culture not only by throwing the American Dowells and the English Ashburnhams together, but also by describing the generous and industrious eccentricities of Florence's Uncle John. Explain the role nationalism plays in The Good Soldier. In the essay consider the following:
1. Do the characters' nationalities cause conflict in the novel? If so, how?
2. Considering that Ford is English, does he show any biases? Does Ford accurately render American sensibilities or does he stereotype them?
This section contains 1,046 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)