|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Captain Edward Ashburnham die?
2. In Part 4, Chapter 5, Captain Edward Ashburnham gives a woman a large sum of money. How much money does Edward give the woman?
3. What results from the affair between Captain Edward Ashburnham and the woman he meets during his reunion with his regiment?
4. Which Christian denomination do Leonora Ashburnham's parents follow?
5. What does Miss Emily Hurlbird think John Dowell should do with the money he inherits from John Hurlbird's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 4, Chapter 1, what is John Dowell's motivation for blaming both Leonora Ashburnham and Florence Dowell for the downfall of the Ashburnham marriage and not Captain Edward Ashburnham?
2. Leonora accepts many of Captain Edward Ashburnham's affairs; however, Leonora does not accept Edward's affair with Florence Dowell. Why does Leonora especially disapprove of Edward's affair with Florence Dowell?
3. Describe the fight that takes place in Part 4, Chapter 2, between Leonora Ashburnham, Nancy Rufford, and Captain Edward Ashburnham?
4. Do you think Nancy is a good judge of character?
5. John Dowell describes Nancy Rufford as a young and exuberant Catholic school girl. Is Nancy as pious and righteous as her religious upbringing might suggest?
6. How has Captain Edward Ashburnham changed since his youth?
7. If Leonora has been so patient and accommodating of Captain Edward Ashburnham's actions, why is Leonora unable to forgive Edward for giving money to the woman accused of murdering a baby?
8. Who is Nancy's father? Edward White or Cornell Rufford?
9. Of all the characters presented thus far in the book, who is the most right-minded?
10. In Part 3, Chapter 4, John Dowell describes many unfortunate circumstances that contributed to the downfall of the Ashburnham marriage. With John's sympathetic portrait of the Ashburnhams in mind, do you think unfortunate circumstances are to blame for the destruction of the Ashburnham marriage or are the Ashburnhams themselves to blame for its downfall?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the overall message behind The Good Soldier?
Essay Topic 2
Why does John Dowell not intervene in Edward Ashburnham's suicide? Does John fail to intervene because he wants to treat Edward as compassionately as one putting down a suffering old dog? Or does John not intervene for more sinister reasons? What are the possible motivations John may have for allowing Edward to die?
Essay Topic 3
The Good Soldier makes explicit comparisons between the awkwardness and unruliness of American life and the stately and opulent life of an English estate. Ford juxtaposes American culture and English culture not only by throwing the American Dowells and the English Ashburnhams together, but also by describing the generous and industrious eccentricities of Florence's Uncle John. Explain the role nationalism plays in The Good Soldier. In the essay consider the following:
1. Do the characters' nationalities cause conflict in the novel? If so, how?
2. Considering that Ford is English, does he show any biases? Does Ford accurately render American sensibilities or does he stereotype them?
This section contains 1,200 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)