|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the region where the Ashburnhams meet Maisie Maidan for the first time?
(c) The Rhine Valley.
2. What is the name of the courtesan who Captain Edward Ashburnham becomes obsessed with in Monte Carlo?
(b) La Dolciquita.
(c) Maisie Maidan.
(d) Nancy Rufford.
3. If Nancy Rufford were to reunite with her father, which country would she be traveling to?
(d) The United States of America.
4. What does Miss Florence Hurlbird want to do with the money that results from John Hurlbird's death?
(a) Create an institution for the relief of sufferers of lung ailments.
(b) Build a Catholic school in John's name.
(c) Create an institution for the relief of sufferers of the heart..
(d) Build a Protestant school in John's name.
5. What is Leonora Ashburnham's maiden name?
(c) Du Plessis.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Christan denomination do Captain Edward Ashbunham's parents follow?
2. Who is the first person to beseech Captain Edward Ashburnham to get married?
3. In the witness box, while defending himself during the Kilsyte case, what does Captain Edward Ashburnham realize?
4. After Captain Edward Ashburnham's romantic attachment to the woman he met during his reunion with the military , he and his wife go to which of the following places:
5. How many sisters does Leonora Ashburnham have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Of what significance is the discovery that John Hurlbird's heart disease was a misdiagnosis?
2. Part 4, Chapter 4 seems to imply that the Ashburnhams have been lying to Nancy about her family. Is it right for the Ashburnhams to keep Nancy Rufford's family history a secret?
3. Leonora accepts many of Captain Edward Ashburnham's affairs; however, Leonora does not accept Edward's affair with Florence Dowell. Why does Leonora especially disapprove of Edward's affair with Florence Dowell?
4. Why does John Dowell dislike Rodney Bayham?
5. Of all the characters presented thus far in the book, who is the most right-minded?
6. Why do you suppose Leonora Ashburnham never turned to her family for advice on her marriage?
7. In Part 4, Chapter 5, John Dowell claims that he is jealous of Leonora Ashburnham. What reason does John have for being jealous of Leonora?
8. Does Leonora Ashburnham approve of the affair between Captain Edward Ashburnham and Maisie Maidan?
9. How has Captain Edward Ashburnham changed since his youth?
10. Who is Nancy's father? Edward White or Cornell Rufford?
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)