|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Captain Edward Ashburnham when he and Leonora Ashburnham marry?
2. Who is the first person to beseech Captain Edward Ashburnham to get married?
(a) His sister.
(b) Leonora Ashburnham.
(c) His mother.
(d) His father.
3. In Part 4, Chapter 5, Captain Edward Ashburnham gives a woman a large sum of money. Why does he give the woman money?
(a) Because he wants to purchase her sexual favors.
(b) Because she is blackmailing him.
(c) Because her house has been destroyed in a fire.
(d) Because she's been accused of murdering her baby.
4. During the Ashburnham's last night at Nauheim, what does Leonora Ashburnham suggest to her husband?
(a) That he pray to God and ask for His forgiveness.
(b) That he take Nancy Rufford out for some fun.
(c) That he kill Florence Dowell.
(d) That he button his cuff links.
5. How many sisters does Leonora Ashburnham have?
Short Answer Questions
1. Just before John Dowell comes to visit the Ashburnhams, Leonora Ashburnham bursts into Nancy Rufford's room and insists that Nancy do which of the following:
2. After the trip to Monte Carlo and during his reunion with his military regiment, Captain Edward Ashburnham forms a romantic attachment to which of the following women:
3. Which event in the novel is known as the "Kilsyte case"?
4. In Part 4, Chapter 3, Nancy Rufford decides to travel to which of the following cities in order to take care of her mother:
5. In Part 4, Chapter 5, Captain Edward Ashburnham gives a woman a large sum of money. How much money does Edward give the woman?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you agree with John Dowell when he says that Captain Edward Ashburnham does not feel remorse?
2. Why does John Dowell continually excuse Captain Edward Ashburnham from the reader's judgment?
3. Is Leonora Ashburnham a sympathetic character?
4. Do you think the Ashburnhams have ever consummated their marriage?
5. Do you think Nancy is a good judge of character?
6. Given Captain Edward Ashburnham's adulterous history, why does Leonora Ashburnham send Edward and Nancy to a concert together?
7. Of all the characters presented thus far in the book, who is the most right-minded?
8. Who is Nancy's father? Edward White or Cornell Rufford?
9. How has Captain Edward Ashburnham changed since his youth?
10. John Dowell describes Nancy Rufford as a young and exuberant Catholic school girl. Is Nancy as pious and righteous as her religious upbringing might suggest?
This section contains 1,117 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)