|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Captain Edward Ashburnham's romantic attachment to the woman he met during his reunion with the military , he and his wife go to which of the following places:
2. How does Captain Edward Ashburnham die?
(a) He commits suicide.
(b) He dies from heart failure.
(c) He is murdered.
(d) He dies in battle.
3. When Nancy Rufford is a child, how does her father treat her?
(a) To her he was a kind, loving, and judicious father.
(b) He doted on her and spoiled her immensely.
(c) He was physically abusive toward her.
(d) He was cold and indifferent toward her.
4. How old is Nancy when she is knocked unconscious?
5. On the day Leonora Ashburnham is bedridden, which family is featured in the newspaper article that Nancy Rufford reads?
(a) Mr. and Mrs. Brand.
(b) Mr. and Mrs. Basil.
(c) Mr. and Mrs. Dowell.
(d) Mr. and Mrs. Ashburnham.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Captain Edward Ashburnham dies, where does John Dowell take up residence?
2. In Part 4, Chapter 5, Captain Edward Ashburnham gives a woman a large sum of money. Why does he give the woman money?
3. At school, what does Nancy repeatedly do?
4. What does Miss Emily Hurlbird think John Dowell should do with the money he inherits from John Hurlbird's death?
5. How old is Captain Edward Ashburnham when he and Leonora Ashburnham marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Part 4, Chapter 4 seems to imply that the Ashburnhams have been lying to Nancy about her family. Is it right for the Ashburnhams to keep Nancy Rufford's family history a secret?
2. Why do you suppose Leonora Ashburnham never turned to her family for advice on her marriage?
3. In Part 4, Chapter 1, what is John Dowell's motivation for blaming both Leonora Ashburnham and Florence Dowell for the downfall of the Ashburnham marriage and not Captain Edward Ashburnham?
4. If Leonora has been so patient and accommodating of Captain Edward Ashburnham's actions, why is Leonora unable to forgive Edward for giving money to the woman accused of murdering a baby?
5. Do you think Nancy is a good judge of character?
6. Does Leonora Ashburnham approve of the affair between Captain Edward Ashburnham and Maisie Maidan?
7. What must Nancy reject in order to make her decision to meet her mother in Glasgow?
8. Of what significance is the discovery that John Hurlbird's heart disease was a misdiagnosis?
9. John Dowell describes Nancy Rufford as a young and exuberant Catholic school girl. Is Nancy as pious and righteous as her religious upbringing might suggest?
10. Leonora accepts many of Captain Edward Ashburnham's affairs; however, Leonora does not accept Edward's affair with Florence Dowell. Why does Leonora especially disapprove of Edward's affair with Florence Dowell?
This section contains 1,076 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)