|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Monte Carlo, why does Captain Edward Ashburnham buy an expensive gift for a courtesan?
(a) Because he is in love with the courtesan and wants to buy her affection.
(b) Because he's attempting to support a child he fathered with the courtesan.
(c) Because he is being blackmailed by the courtesan.
(d) Because she refuses to see him unless he buys the gift.
2. What does Leonora Ashburnham tell Nancy Rufford about the whereabouts of Nancy's mother?
(a) She tells her that her mother has passed away.
(b) She tells her that her mother has become a homeless drifter.
(c) She tells her that her mother has run off with a young man.
(d) She tells her that her mother has been kidnapped.
3. If Nancy Rufford were to reunite with her father, which country would she be traveling to?
(c) The United States of America.
4. The Ashburnhams receive a telegram regarding the care of Nancy Rufford's mother. In order to care for her, where does the sender of the telegram want to take Nancy's mother?
(a) To Italy.
(b) To India.
(c) To Nauheim.
(d) To Paris.
5. How old is Leonora Ashburnham when she and Captain Edward Ashburnham marry?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best describes Leonora Ashburnham's relationship with Florence Dowell?
2. Soon after Leonora Ashburnham marries Captain Edward Ashburnham, what does she discover about her husband? .
3. What is Florence Dowell's relationship to John Hurlbird?
4. On the day Leonora Ashburnham is bedridden, what story does Nancy Rufford read in the newspaper?
5. What is Nancy Rufford's religion?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you agree with John Dowell when he says that Captain Edward Ashburnham does not feel remorse?
2. In Part 4, Chapter 1, what is John Dowell's motivation for blaming both Leonora Ashburnham and Florence Dowell for the downfall of the Ashburnham marriage and not Captain Edward Ashburnham?
3. In Part 4, Chapter 5, John Dowell claims that he is jealous of Leonora Ashburnham. What reason does John have for being jealous of Leonora?
4. How has Captain Edward Ashburnham changed since his youth?
5. If Leonora has been so patient and accommodating of Captain Edward Ashburnham's actions, why is Leonora unable to forgive Edward for giving money to the woman accused of murdering a baby?
6. John Dowell describes Nancy Rufford as a young and exuberant Catholic school girl. Is Nancy as pious and righteous as her religious upbringing might suggest?
7. Why does John Dowell continually excuse Captain Edward Ashburnham from the reader's judgment?
8. Is Leonora Ashburnham a sympathetic character?
9. Do you think Nancy is a good judge of character?
10. Given Captain Edward Ashburnham's adulterous history, why does Leonora Ashburnham send Edward and Nancy to a concert together?
This section contains 1,257 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)