|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 3, Chapter 2, it's mentioned that Nancy Rufford had once been knocked unconscious. For how many days was she unconscious?
(a) Three days.
(b) Twenty days
(c) Six Days.
2. What title does Leonora Ashburnham's father go by?
3. Which event in the novel is known as the "Kilsyte case"?
(a) The mysterious death of Florence Dowell.
(b) The mysterious death of Maisie Maidan.
(c) Captain Edward Ashburnham's incestuous relationship with Nancy Rufford.
(d) Captain Edward Ashburnham's kissing of a servant girl on a train.
4. The Ashburnhams receive a telegram regarding the care of Nancy Rufford's mother. In order to care for her, where does the sender of the telegram want to take Nancy's mother?
(a) To Paris.
(b) To India.
(c) To Italy.
(d) To Nauheim.
5. In Part 4, Chapter 5, Captain Edward Ashburnham gives a woman a large sum of money. Why does he give the woman money?
(a) Because she's been accused of murdering her baby.
(b) Because he wants to purchase her sexual favors.
(c) Because she is blackmailing him.
(d) Because her house has been destroyed in a fire.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best describes Leonora Ashburnham's reaction to Captain Edward Ashburnham's relationship with Nancy Rufford:
2. What is discovered about John Hurlbird's health after his death?
3. What results from the affair between Captain Edward Ashburnham and the woman he meets during his reunion with his regiment?
4. In Part 4, Chapter 3, Nancy Rufford decides to travel to which of the following cities in order to take care of her mother:
5. What does Miss Florence Hurlbird want to do with the money that results from John Hurlbird's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. Given Captain Edward Ashburnham's adulterous history, why does Leonora Ashburnham send Edward and Nancy to a concert together?
2. Of all the characters presented thus far in the book, who is the most right-minded?
3. In Part 4, Chapter 5, John Dowell claims that he is jealous of Leonora Ashburnham. What reason does John have for being jealous of Leonora?
4. In Part 4, Chapter 1, what is John Dowell's motivation for blaming both Leonora Ashburnham and Florence Dowell for the downfall of the Ashburnham marriage and not Captain Edward Ashburnham?
5. Of what significance is the discovery that John Hurlbird's heart disease was a misdiagnosis?
6. Does Leonora Ashburnham approve of the affair between Captain Edward Ashburnham and Maisie Maidan?
7. What must Nancy reject in order to make her decision to meet her mother in Glasgow?
8. Part 4, Chapter 4 seems to imply that the Ashburnhams have been lying to Nancy about her family. Is it right for the Ashburnhams to keep Nancy Rufford's family history a secret?
9. Do you think Nancy is a good judge of character?
10. In Part 3, Chapter 4, John Dowell describes many unfortunate circumstances that contributed to the downfall of the Ashburnham marriage. With John's sympathetic portrait of the Ashburnhams in mind, do you think unfortunate circumstances are to blame for the destruction of the Ashburnham marriage or are the Ashburnhams themselves to blame for its downfall?
This section contains 1,186 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)