|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the courtesan who Captain Edward Ashburnham becomes obsessed with in Monte Carlo?
(a) La Dolciquita.
(b) Maisie Maidan.
(d) Nancy Rufford.
2. In Part 4, Chapter 5, Captain Edward Ashburnham gives a woman a large sum of money. Why does he give the woman money?
(a) Because she is blackmailing him.
(b) Because he wants to purchase her sexual favors.
(c) Because her house has been destroyed in a fire.
(d) Because she's been accused of murdering her baby.
3. What is Florence Dowell's relationship to John Hurlbird?
(a) John is Florence's father.
(b) John is Florence's lover.
(c) John is Florence's brother.
(d) John is Florence's uncle.
4. Who sends a telegram to the Ashburnhams stating the sender's promise to take care of Nancy Rufford's mother?
(a) Edward Green.
(b) Edward White.
(c) Edward Black.
(d) Edward Brown.
5. What does Miss Florence Hurlbird want to do with the money that results from John Hurlbird's death?
(a) Build a Protestant school in John's name.
(b) Build a Catholic school in John's name.
(c) Create an institution for the relief of sufferers of the heart..
(d) Create an institution for the relief of sufferers of lung ailments.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the day Leonora Ashburnham is bedridden, what story does Nancy Rufford read in the newspaper?
2. Which of the following best describes Leonora Ashburnham's relationship with Florence Dowell?
3. Which event in the novel is known as the "Kilsyte case"?
4. On the morning Leonora Ashburnham is bedridden, what does Nancy Rufford realize after reading the newspaper?
5. How old is Captain Edward Ashburnham when he and Leonora Ashburnham marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Of what significance is the discovery that John Hurlbird's heart disease was a misdiagnosis?
2. John Dowell describes Nancy Rufford as a young and exuberant Catholic school girl. Is Nancy as pious and righteous as her religious upbringing might suggest?
3. Do you agree with John Dowell when he says that Captain Edward Ashburnham does not feel remorse?
4. If Leonora has been so patient and accommodating of Captain Edward Ashburnham's actions, why is Leonora unable to forgive Edward for giving money to the woman accused of murdering a baby?
5. In Part 4, Chapter 5, John Dowell claims that he is jealous of Leonora Ashburnham. What reason does John have for being jealous of Leonora?
6. Part 4, Chapter 4 seems to imply that the Ashburnhams have been lying to Nancy about her family. Is it right for the Ashburnhams to keep Nancy Rufford's family history a secret?
7. In Part 4, Chapter 1, what is John Dowell's motivation for blaming both Leonora Ashburnham and Florence Dowell for the downfall of the Ashburnham marriage and not Captain Edward Ashburnham?
8. In Part 3, Chapter 4, John Dowell describes many unfortunate circumstances that contributed to the downfall of the Ashburnham marriage. With John's sympathetic portrait of the Ashburnhams in mind, do you think unfortunate circumstances are to blame for the destruction of the Ashburnham marriage or are the Ashburnhams themselves to blame for its downfall?
9. Do you think Nancy is a good judge of character?
10. Why does John Dowell dislike Rodney Bayham?
This section contains 1,222 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)