|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Florence Dowell's disease begin?
(a) She acquired the disease during puberty .
(b) She has had the disease since birth.
(c) She acquired the disease while participating in athletics during her youth.
(d) She acquired the disease during a sea journey to Europe on her honeymoon.
2. What is John Dowell's nickname for Captain Edward Ashburnham?
(a) Captain Ed.
3. How do the Dowells meet the Ashburnhams for the first time?
(a) They meet on a passenger ship during the Dowells' honeymoon.
(b) They meet while playing tennis at Nauheim.
(c) They meet while relaxing in the bathhouse at Nauheim.
(d) They meet while dining at Nauheim.
4. When John Dowell's wife passes away, what does he want to do with the money he inherits from her estate?
(a) He can't decide what to do with the inheritance.
(b) He does not want the inheritance.
(c) He wants to buy an estate.
(d) He wants to donate the money to charity.
5. Which cultural revolution results from the teachings of Martin Luther?
(a) The Protestant Reformation.
(b) The Mormon Reformation.
(c) The Catholic Reformation.
(d) The Baptist Reformation.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, John Dowell is reminded of a folktale. In the folktale, which two characters appear?
2. On the night of Florence Dowell's death, what does Captain Edward Ashburnham tell Nancy Rufford?
3. Leonora Ashburnham goes to Maisie Maidan's room after the trip to the castle. What does she find there?
4. During the stay at Nauheim, who is the only person to be unaware of the affair that takes place?
5. In Part 2, Chapter 2, John Dowell compares Leonora Ashburnham to which of the following animals:
Short Essay Questions
1. According to John Dowell's point of view, what qualities define American culture?
2. Explain the motivations of each character (Florence Dowell, John Dowell, Leonora Ashburnham, and Captain Edward Ashburnham) for taking the trip to the castle.
3. How do the personalities of Florence Dowell and Leonora Ashburnham differ?
4. How does Maisie Maidan die?
5. John Dowell supposes that Captain Edward Ashburnham eventually tired of Florence Dowell's affection. What might have caused Captain Edward Ashburnham to become tired of his affair with Florence?
6. Who has the authority in the Ashburnham marriage?
7. By the end of Part 2, Chapter 2, both Florence Dowell and Maisie Maidan have died. Compare and contrast the death of Maisie Maidan and the death of Florence Dowell.
8. Describe Captain Edward Ashburnham's reputation and accomplishments.
9. Is John Dowell justified in being angry at Leonora Ashburnham?
10. Describe the marriage between Leonora Ashburnham and Captain Edward Ashburnham.
This section contains 1,091 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)