|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the third chapter, what fear does John Dowell express?
(a) That he is a cursed man.
(b) That he is a saint among sinners.
(c) That he is a eunuch among real men.
(d) That he is secretly in love with Leonora Ashburnham.
2. How do Leonora and Captain Edward Ashburnham meet and fall in love?
(a) They were introduced by John and Florence Dowell.
(b) They meet at Nauheim where they were seeking treatment for their broken hearts.
(c) They meet overseas while Edward was serving in the military.
(d) They didn't fall in love--their marriage was arranged by their parents.
3. What is the name of the castle visited by the Ashburnhams and the Dowells?
(a) The Castle of St. Elizabeth of Hungary.
(b) The Castle of Wernigerode.
(c) Braunfels Castle.
(d) Hohenzollern Castle.
4. Where is the castle located that is visited by the Ashburnhams and the Dowells?
(b) The United States of America.
5. John Dowell can only recall one particular dress his wife Florence wore during their stay at Nauheim. What color is this dress?
Short Answer Questions
1. In the first chapter, the narrator describes the story as what?
2. Where does John Dowell go after Florence dies?
3. What is the first name of Florence's uncle?
4. According to Leonora Ashburnham, how does Florence Dowell die?
5. Where is Florence Dowell's dead body discovered?
Short Essay Questions
1. Have the Ashburnhams ever had physical or emotional affection for one another?
2. Who has the authority in the Ashburnham marriage?
3. In what way does John Dowell feel like an outsider?
4. Why does John Dowell identify with Leonora Ashburnham?
5. How is Florence Dowell's social behavior different from her family's?
6. How does Maisie Maidan die?
7. John Dowell supposes that Captain Edward Ashburnham eventually tired of Florence Dowell's affection. What might have caused Captain Edward Ashburnham to become tired of his affair with Florence?
8. Why does John Dowell enjoy the train ride to the castle?
9. Explain the motivations of each character (Florence Dowell, John Dowell, Leonora Ashburnham, and Captain Edward Ashburnham) for taking the trip to the castle.
10. Florence Dowell proposes that she and Captain Edward Ashburnham should divorce their spouses and move to California. Why would divorcing her husband and moving to California with Edward be a sacrifice for Florence Dowell?
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)