|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When John Dowell first meets Captain Edward Ashburnham, John finds Edward to be what?
(a) Nervous and excitable.
(b) Obnoxious and crass.
(c) Quiet and sickly.
(d) Sentimental and charismatic.
2. How do the Dowells meet the Ashburnhams for the first time?
(a) They meet on a passenger ship during the Dowells' honeymoon.
(b) They meet while relaxing in the bathhouse at Nauheim.
(c) They meet while playing tennis at Nauheim.
(d) They meet while dining at Nauheim.
3. Who does Captain Edward Ashburnham eventually choose to be his long-term lover?
(a) Maisie Maidan.
(b) Nancy Rufford.
(c) Florence Dowell.
(d) Leonora Ashburnham.
4. During the trip to the castle, Florence Dowell makes it her goal to do which of the following:
(a) Spend time alone with Captain Edward Ashburnham.
(b) Spend time alone with John Dowell.
(c) Educate Captain Edward Ashburnham on all the historical details of the castle.
(d) Teach Leonora Ashburnham how to knit.
5. During Leonora Ashburnham's fight with a young woman at Nauheim, something gets stuck in the young woman's hair. Which object gets stuck in the woman's hair?
(a) Leonora's bracelet.
(b) Leonora's brooch.
(c) Lenora's wedding ring.
(d) Leonora's necklace.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the second chapter, it's revealed that John and Florence Dowell spend twelve years of their marriage doing what?
2. During her honeymoon, Florence Dowell suggests to her husband that they move to which country:
3. Who is the narrator of The Good Solider ?
4. What color is the dress Florence Dowell wears on the night of her death?
5. Inside the castle, what object does Florence Dowell draw everyone's attention to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is it surprising that John Dowell, the narrator in Part 3, Chapter 1, tries to justify Captain Edward Ashburnham's relationship with Nancy Rufford?
2. Who is responsible for Maisie Maidan's death?
3. How does Maisie Maidan die?
4. Describe Nancy Rufford's relationship with Captain Edward Ashburnham.
5. Describe Leonora Ashburnham's physical altercation with Maisie Maidan and its significance.
6. Why does John Dowell enjoy the train ride to the castle?
7. After reflecting upon the events of his life, how does John Dowell feel about marriage?
8. Describe the marriage between Leonora Ashburnham and Captain Edward Ashburnham.
9. How is Florence Dowell's social behavior different from her family's?
10. Describe the Ashburnhams relationship with the Dowells and the "nine years of uninterrupted tranquility" that transpires between them.
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)