|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which cultural revolution results from the teachings of Martin Luther?
(a) The Catholic Reformation.
(b) The Protestant Reformation.
(c) The Mormon Reformation.
(d) The Baptist Reformation.
2. Where is the castle located that is visited by the Ashburnhams and the Dowells?
(d) The United States of America.
3. During her honeymoon, Florence Dowell suggests to her husband that they move to which country:
4. Who breaks the object Florence Dowell asks her husband to hold?
(b) An elderly valet.
(c) The Dowell's housemaid.
(d) John Dowell.
5. John Dowell can only recall one particular dress his wife Florence wore during their stay at Nauheim. What color is this dress?
Short Answer Questions
1. In the third chapter, what fear does John Dowell express?
2. Where does John Dowell go after Florence dies?
3. What is the first name of Florence's uncle?
4. When the Ashburnhams and the Dowells first meet, Captain Edward Ashburnham has been serving in the military in which country?
5. In the second chapter, what does John Dowell receive from Edward Ashburnham?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is it wise for John Dowell to marry Florence?
2. Describe Nancy Rufford's relationship with Captain Edward Ashburnham.
3. In Part 1, Chapter 2, John Dowell recites a folktale about a she-wolf who betrays her husband for a poet. Why is John's telling of the folktale significant?
4. Describe Captain Edward Ashburnham's reputation and accomplishments.
5. How is Florence Dowell's social behavior different from her family's?
6. Why does Florence Dowell commit suicide?
7. John Dowell supposes that Captain Edward Ashburnham eventually tired of Florence Dowell's affection. What might have caused Captain Edward Ashburnham to become tired of his affair with Florence?
8. Describe the Ashburnhams relationship with the Dowells and the "nine years of uninterrupted tranquility" that transpires between them.
9. Why does John Dowell laugh at Leonora Ashburnham when she says she can learn to "accept the situation" between Florence Dowell and Captain Edward Ashburnham?
10. Is John Dowell justified in being angry at Leonora Ashburnham?
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)