|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Leonora Ashburnham do to the young woman whom she sees leaving Captain Edward Ashburnham's room at Nauheim?
(a) She tackles the young woman.
(b) She pulls out the young woman's hair.
(c) She boxes the young woman's ears.
(d) She slaps the young woman in the face.
2. In the second chapter, what does John Dowell receive from Edward Ashburnham?
(a) A telegraph.
(b) A letter of condolence.
(c) An expensive gift.
(d) An apology.
3. When John Dowell's wife passes away, what does he want to do with the money he inherits from her estate?
(a) He wants to donate the money to charity.
(b) He does not want the inheritance.
(c) He can't decide what to do with the inheritance.
(d) He wants to buy an estate.
4. How many children do the Ashburnhams have?
(c) They have no children.
5. On the night of Florence Dowell's death, which two characters attend a concert?
(a) Captain Edward Ashburnham and Nancy Rufford.
(b) Captain Edward Ashburnham and Leonora Ashburnham.
(c) Captain Edward Ashburnham and Maisie Maidan.
(d) Captain Edward Ashburnham and John Dowell.
Short Answer Questions
1. John Dowell can only recall one particular dress his wife Florence wore during their stay at Nauheim. What kind of pattern is on this dress?
2. What color is the dress Florence Dowell wears on the night of her death?
3. In Chapter 3, when the Ashburnhams are seated for dinner, what do they say to their waiter?
4. What reason does John Dowell give to explain his wife's infidelity?
5. How do the Dowells meet the Ashburnhams for the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is it wise for John Dowell to marry Florence?
2. In Part 1, Chapter 3, John Dowell recalls one particular dress his wife Florence wore during their stay at Nauheim. Describe the dress and its significance.
3. Describe the marriage between Leonora Ashburnham and Captain Edward Ashburnham.
4. Does Florence Dowell indeed have a heart condition?
5. In Part 1, Chapter 2, John Dowell recites a folktale about a she-wolf who betrays her husband for a poet. Why is John's telling of the folktale significant?
6. Who has the authority in the Ashburnham marriage?
7. According to John Dowell's point of view, what qualities define American culture?
8. After reflecting upon the events of his life, how does John Dowell feel about marriage?
9. How does Maisie Maidan die?
10. Do you think Captain Edward Ashburnham's romantic feelings for Nancy Rufford are morally reprehensible?
This section contains 1,052 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)