|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 4, Chapter 5, Captain Edward Ashburnham gives a woman a large sum of money. Why does he give the woman money?
(a) Because he wants to purchase her sexual favors.
(b) Because her house has been destroyed in a fire.
(c) Because she is blackmailing him.
(d) Because she's been accused of murdering her baby.
2. Which event in the novel is known as the "Kilsyte case"?
(a) Captain Edward Ashburnham's kissing of a servant girl on a train.
(b) Captain Edward Ashburnham's incestuous relationship with Nancy Rufford.
(c) The mysterious death of Maisie Maidan.
(d) The mysterious death of Florence Dowell.
3. How old is Nancy when she is knocked unconscious?
4. After Captain Edward Ashburnham dies, where does John Dowell take up residence?
(a) Monte Carlo.
(b) The Branshaw Manor House.
(d) The Hurlbird estate.
5. What is the name of the region where the Ashburnhams meet Maisie Maidan for the first time?
(a) The Rhine Valley.
6. How many sisters does Leonora Ashburnham have?
7. By the end of Part 4, Chapter 5, what does Nancy Rufford decide to do with herself?
(a) Live with her father.
(b) Become Captain Edward Ashburnham's lover.
(c) Marry John Dowell.
(d) Live with her mother.
8. What title does Captain Edward Ashburnham's father go by?
9. According to John Dowell, why is Florence Dowell to blame for the destruction of the Ashburnham marriage?
(a) Because she is Catholic.
(b) Because she talked too much and was a flirt.
(c) Because she behaved so promiscuously.
(d) Because she is Protestant.
10. Just before John Dowell comes to visit the Ashburnhams, Captain Edward Ashburnham insists that Nancy Rufford do which of the following:
(a) Live with her mother.
(b) Live with her father.
(c) Become his lover.
(d) Marry John Dowell.
11. Just before John Dowell comes to visit the Ashburnhams, Leonora Ashburnham bursts into Nancy Rufford's room and insists that Nancy do which of the following:
(a) Become Captain Edward Ashburnham's lover.
(b) Live with her fahter.
(c) Live with her mother.
(d) Marry John Dowell.
12. What is the name of the man with whom Leonora tries to have an affair?
(a) Rodney Bayham.
(b) Philip Bayham.
(c) William Bayham.
(d) Jeremy Bayham.
13. What does Leonora Ashburnham tell Nancy Rufford about the whereabouts of Nancy's mother?
(a) She tells her that her mother has run off with a young man.
(b) She tells her that her mother has passed away.
(c) She tells her that her mother has become a homeless drifter.
(d) She tells her that her mother has been kidnapped.
14. The Ashburnhams receive a telegram regarding the care of Nancy Rufford's mother. In order to care for her, where does the sender of the telegram want to take Nancy's mother?
(a) To Paris.
(b) To Italy.
(c) To Nauheim.
(d) To India.
15. After the trip to Monte Carlo, Captain Edward Ashburnham reunites with his military regiment. When he rejoins the regiment it is stationed in which of the following countries:
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Christian denomination do Leonora Ashburnham's parents follow?
2. In Part 4, Chapter 5, Captain Edward Ashburnham gives a woman a large sum of money. How much money does Edward give the woman?
3. How old is Leonora Ashburnham when she makes it her responsibility to rebuild the Ashburnham fortune?
4. On the Ashburnham's last night at Nauheim, which religious idol does Captain Edward Ashburnham pray to?
5. At school, what does Nancy repeatedly do?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)