|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What title does Captain Edward Ashburnham's father go by?
2. After Captain Edward Ashburnham's death, Leonora Ashburnham shares with John Dowell a letter written by which of the following people:
(a) Captain Edward Ashburnham's father.
(b) La Dolciquita.
(c) Nancy Rufford.
(d) Colonel Rufford.
3. Which Christan denomination do Captain Edward Ashbunham's parents follow?
4. How does Nancy Rufford react when she hears of Captain Edward Ashburnham's death?
(a) She goes insane.
(b) She commits suicide.
(c) She acts cheerfully because she believes Edward has gone to a better place.
(d) She acts stoically and attempts to keep her sadness to herself.
5. The Ashburnhams receive a telegram regarding the care of Nancy Rufford's mother. In order to care for her, where does the sender of the telegram want to take Nancy's mother?
(a) To Italy.
(b) To Nauheim.
(c) To India.
(d) To Paris.
6. Which of the following best describes Leonora Ashburnham's reaction to Captain Edward Ashburnham's relationship with Nancy Rufford:
(a) Leonora is jealous of their relationship and makes plans to kill Nancy.
(b) Leonora approves of their relationship and does everything she can to support it.
(c) Leonora does her best to keep the two apart and control Edward's feelings towards Nancy.
(d) Leonora is indifferent to their relationship.
7. Where does Captain Edward Ashburnham take the courtesan he meets in Monte Carlo?
(a) To a resort.
(b) To his home in England.
(c) To the opera.
(d) To Nauheim.
8. On the morning Leonora Ashburnham is bedridden, what does Nancy Rufford realize after reading the newspaper?
(a) That Edward Ashburnham is planning to kill his wife.
(b) That Captain Edward Ashburnham is free to love someone other than his wife.
(c) That Edward Ashburnham is her biological father.
(d) That all men are fools.
9. What is the name of the man with whom Leonora tries to have an affair?
(a) Jeremy Bayham.
(b) William Bayham.
(c) Rodney Bayham.
(d) Philip Bayham.
10. What is Nancy Rufford's religion?
11. What does John Hurlbird want to be done with the money his family would inherit from his death?
(a) He wanted a Protestant school built in his name.
(b) In his name, he wanted an institution created for the relief of sufferers of lung ailments.
(c) In his name, he wanted an institution created for the relief of sufferers of the heart.
(d) He wanted a Catholic school built in his name.
12. What is the name of the region where the Ashburnhams meet Maisie Maidan for the first time?
(c) The Rhine Valley.
13. What is Leonora Ashburnham's maiden name?
(d) Du Plessis.
14. Who is the first person to beseech Captain Edward Ashburnham to get married?
(a) His father.
(b) His mother.
(c) His sister.
(d) Leonora Ashburnham.
15. In the witness box, while defending himself during the Kilsyte case, what does Captain Edward Ashburnham realize?
(a) That it is a pleasant thing to feel a woman's body pressed against his own.
(b) That ham sandwiches are better cold than they are hot.
(c) That he's deeply in love with his wife.
(d) That he doesn't want to have any children.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the Ashburnham's last night at Nauheim, which religious idol does Captain Edward Ashburnham pray to?
2. Which of the following afflictions causes Leonora Ashburnham to be bedridden:
3. How old is Captain Edward Ashburnham when he and Leonora Ashburnham marry?
4. How many days before the death of Florence Dowell does John Hurlbird die?
5. In Part 3, Chapter 4, Captain Edward Ashburnham has a series of daydreams. What does Captain Edward Ashburnham imagine in his daydreams?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)