|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Leonora Ashburnham's maiden name?
(d) Du Plessis.
2. After Captain Edward Ashburnham's death, Leonora Ashburnham shares with John Dowell a letter written by which of the following people:
(a) Colonel Rufford.
(b) Nancy Rufford.
(c) La Dolciquita.
(d) Captain Edward Ashburnham's father.
3. How old is Leonora Ashburnham when she makes it her responsibility to rebuild the Ashburnham fortune?
4. In Monte Carlo, what expensive gift does Captain Edward Ashburnham buy the courtesan with whom he is obsessed?
(a) A painting by Michel Angelo.
(b) A Ming vase.
(c) An Arabian race horse.
(d) A tiara.
5. In the Ashburnham marriage there is a dispute as to how any potential Ashburnham children should be raised. What is the nature of this dispute?
(a) Whether the Ashburnham children should be raised in America or England.
(b) The religious upbringing of the Ashburnham children.
(c) Whether the Ashburnham children should be subjected to spanking.
(d) Whether the Ashburnham children should be raised in the country or the city.
6. What title does Captain Edward Ashburnham's father go by?
7. How many days before the death of Florence Dowell does John Hurlbird die?
(a) Twelve days.
(b) Five days.
(c) Fifteen days.
(d) One day.
8. What is the name of the courtesan who Captain Edward Ashburnham becomes obsessed with in Monte Carlo?
(a) Maisie Maidan.
(b) La Dolciquita.
(c) Nancy Rufford.
9. According to John Dowell, why is Leonora Ashburnham to blame for the destruction of her own marriage?
(a) Because she is Protestant..
(b) Because she is overweight.
(c) Because she is a pushover.
(d) Because she is Catholic.
10. If Nancy Rufford were to reunite with her father, which country would she be traveling to?
(a) The United States of America.
11. What does Miss Florence Hurlbird want to do with the money that results from John Hurlbird's death?
(a) Build a Catholic school in John's name.
(b) Create an institution for the relief of sufferers of the heart..
(c) Build a Protestant school in John's name.
(d) Create an institution for the relief of sufferers of lung ailments.
12. After Captain Edward Ashburnham dies, where does John Dowell take up residence?
(a) The Hurlbird estate.
(b) Monte Carlo.
(c) The Branshaw Manor House.
13. What is Florence Dowell's relationship to John Hurlbird?
(a) John is Florence's uncle.
(b) John is Florence's father.
(c) John is Florence's brother.
(d) John is Florence's lover.
14. On the morning Leonora Ashburnham is bedridden, what does Nancy Rufford realize after reading the newspaper?
(a) That Captain Edward Ashburnham is free to love someone other than his wife.
(b) That Edward Ashburnham is her biological father.
(c) That Edward Ashburnham is planning to kill his wife.
(d) That all men are fools.
15. On the day Leonora Ashburnham is bedridden, which family is featured in the newspaper article that Nancy Rufford reads?
(a) Mr. and Mrs. Ashburnham.
(b) Mr. and Mrs. Basil.
(c) Mr. and Mrs. Brand.
(d) Mr. and Mrs. Dowell.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Nancy when she is knocked unconscious?
2. On the day Leonora Ashburnham is bedridden, what story does Nancy Rufford read in the newspaper?
3. In Part 3, Chapter 4, Captain Edward Ashburnham has a series of daydreams. What does Captain Edward Ashburnham imagine in his daydreams?
4. What title does Leonora Ashburnham's father go by?
5. Who sends a telegram to the Ashburnhams stating the sender's promise to take care of Nancy Rufford's mother?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)