|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Monte Carlo, what expensive gift does Captain Edward Ashburnham buy the courtesan with whom he is obsessed?
(a) An Arabian race horse.
(b) A Ming vase.
(c) A painting by Michel Angelo.
(d) A tiara.
2. When Nancy Rufford is a child, how does her father treat her?
(a) To her he was a kind, loving, and judicious father.
(b) He doted on her and spoiled her immensely.
(c) He was cold and indifferent toward her.
(d) He was physically abusive toward her.
3. What does Leonora Ashburnham tell Nancy Rufford about the whereabouts of Nancy's mother?
(a) She tells her that her mother has passed away.
(b) She tells her that her mother has become a homeless drifter.
(c) She tells her that her mother has been kidnapped.
(d) She tells her that her mother has run off with a young man.
4. In Monte Carlo, why does Captain Edward Ashburnham buy an expensive gift for a courtesan?
(a) Because she refuses to see him unless he buys the gift.
(b) Because he is being blackmailed by the courtesan.
(c) Because he's attempting to support a child he fathered with the courtesan.
(d) Because he is in love with the courtesan and wants to buy her affection.
5. In Part 4, Chapter 5, Captain Edward Ashburnham gives a woman a large sum of money. How much money does Edward give the woman?
(a) One hundred pounds.
(b) Three hundred pounds.
(c) Two hundred pounds.
(d) Four hundred pounds.
6. How many sisters does Leonora Ashburnham have?
7. How does Captain Edward Ashburnham die?
(a) He dies from heart failure.
(b) He dies in battle.
(c) He is murdered.
(d) He commits suicide.
8. The husband featured in the newspaper article Nacy Rufford reads is accused of being in love with which of the following women:
(a) Miss Lupton.
(b) Mrs. Basil.
(c) Maisie Maidan.
(d) Mrs. Brand.
9. After Captain Edward Ashburnham dies, where does John Dowell take up residence?
(a) Monte Carlo.
(b) The Hurlbird estate.
(c) The Branshaw Manor House.
10. What is Florence Dowell's relationship to John Hurlbird?
(a) John is Florence's uncle.
(b) John is Florence's brother.
(c) John is Florence's father.
(d) John is Florence's lover.
11. In Part 3, Chapter 4, Captain Edward Ashburnham has a series of daydreams. What does Captain Edward Ashburnham imagine in his daydreams?
(a) Various romantic scenarios.
(b) Being the beneficiary in a rags-to-riches story.
(c) What it would be like if his wife were to pass away.
(d) Acts of heroism in which he, Edward, is the hero.
12. What is discovered about John Hurlbird's health after his death?
(a) That he did not have a heart condition.
(b) That he had neither bronchitis nor a heart condition.
(c) That he had a heart condition.
(d) That he had bronchitis and a heart condition.
13. According to John Dowell, why is Leonora Ashburnham to blame for the destruction of her own marriage?
(a) Because she is overweight.
(b) Because she is Catholic.
(c) Because she is a pushover.
(d) Because she is Protestant..
14. On the morning Leonora Ashburnham is bedridden, what does Nancy Rufford realize after reading the newspaper?
(a) That Edward Ashburnham is her biological father.
(b) That Edward Ashburnham is planning to kill his wife.
(c) That all men are fools.
(d) That Captain Edward Ashburnham is free to love someone other than his wife.
15. Who is the first person to beseech Captain Edward Ashburnham to get married?
(a) His father.
(b) Leonora Ashburnham.
(c) His sister.
(d) His mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 3, Chapter 2, it's mentioned that Nancy Rufford had once been knocked unconscious. For how many days was she unconscious?
2. What does Miss Emily Hurlbird think John Dowell should do with the money he inherits from John Hurlbird's death?
3. On the Ashburnham's last night at Nauheim, what does Leonora Ashburnham see when she goes into her husband's room to check in on him?
4. What does John Hurlbird want to be done with the money his family would inherit from his death?
5. Which Christan denomination do Captain Edward Ashbunham's parents follow?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)