|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the narrator of The Good Solider ?
(a) Captain Edward Ashburnham.
(b) Leonora Ashburnham.
(c) Florence Dowell.
(d) John Dowell.
2. Why is John Dowell drawn to Leonora Ashburnham?
(a) Because she understands the difficulty of taking care of a sick spouse.
(b) Because he admires her piety and moral righteousness.
(c) Because he is aroused by her beauty.
(d) Because she's the only one who understands the heartbreak of infidelity.
3. Which best describes Captain Edward Ashburnham's reputation?
(a) He has a reputation for being a generous philanthropist.
(b) He has a reputation for being an avid reader.
(c) He has a reputation for being an excellent tennis player.
(d) He has a reputation for being a good solider.
4. On the night of the Dowell's engagement, how does John Dowell get into Florence's bedroom?
(a) He digs a tunnel under her room and burrows his way in.
(b) He climbs into her room by a rope ladder.
(c) He pole vaults into her room with a very large stick.
(d) He climbs into her room from a tree.
5. What reason does John Dowell give to explain his wife's infidelity?
(a) He believes his wife went through a crisis after being diagnosed with her sickness.
(b) He believes his wife was an American who got caught up in European intrigue.
(c) He believes his wife could not resist Captain Edward Ashburnham's good looks.
(d) He believes his wife's infidelity was due to her lack of religion.
6. Who breaks the object Florence Dowell asks her husband to hold?
(a) John Dowell.
(b) The Dowell's housemaid.
(c) An elderly valet.
7. When the Dowells and the Ashburnhams visit the castle, what mode of transportation do they use?
(a) They go to the castle by automobile.
(b) They walk to the castle.
(c) They go to the castle by horse and carriage.
(d) They go to the castle by train.
8. When does John Dowell hear for the first time that his wife and Captain Edward Ashburnham have been having an affair?
(a) After the trip to the castle.
(b) After Florence Dowell dies.
(c) After the death of Maisie Maidan.
(d) After Captain Edward Ashburnham's funeral.
9. Which character discovers Florence Dowell's dead body?
(a) Leonora Ashburnham.
(b) Captain Edward Ashburnham.
(c) Nancy Rufford.
(d) John Dowell.
10. What does Captain Edward Ashburnham do while he is in Monte Carlo?
(a) He had an affair with the daughter of an admiral.
(b) He gambled away an enormous amount of money.
(c) He purchased an estate.
(d) He sought medical treatment.
11. Inside the castle, what object does Florence Dowell draw everyone's attention to?
(a) A draft of Martin Luther's translation of the bible.
(b) The bed in which Martin Luther slept.
(c) A draft of Martin Luther's protest against the church.
(d) The chalice from which Martin Luther drank.
12. In Chapter 2, John Dowell is reminded of a folktale. In the folktale, which two characters appear?
(a) A piper and a witch.
(b) A she-wolf and a poet.
(c) A nun and a devil.
(d) A lyre player and a duchess.
13. John Dowell can only recall one particular dress his wife Florence wore during their stay at Nauheim. What kind of material is this dress made out of?
14. In Chapter 3, when the Ashburnhams are seated for dinner, what do they say to their waiter?
(a) They make a comment on the quality of the waiter's service.
(b) That thier table is unsatisfactory and they would like to be moved.
(c) They ask the waiter whether he would like to join them later for cocktails.
(d) They make a comment on the weather.
15. In the castle, what does Florence Dowell say to Captain Edward Ashburnham as she touches him?
(a) She tells Edward that he has Martin Luther to thank for all his virtues that separate him from the French.
(b) She tells Edward that he has Martin Luther to thank for all his virtues that separate him from the Protestants.
(c) She tells Edward that she is in love with him.
(d) She tells Edward that he has Martin Luther to thank for all his virtues that separate him from the Catholics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Florence Dowell's maiden name?
2. What is John Dowell's nickname for Captain Edward Ashburnham?
3. Who, according to Leonora Ashburnham, has the upper hand in the Dowell's marriage?
4. Why does Captain Edward Ashburnham receive a decoration from the military?
5. In which state does Florence Dowell dream of living with Captain Edward Ashburnham?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)