|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 3, when the Ashburnhams are seated for dinner, what do they say to their waiter?
(a) That thier table is unsatisfactory and they would like to be moved.
(b) They ask the waiter whether he would like to join them later for cocktails.
(c) They make a comment on the weather.
(d) They make a comment on the quality of the waiter's service.
2. According to John Dowell, how long does it take Captain Edward Ashburnham to grow tired of Florence Dowell?
(a) A year.
(b) Six months.
(c) Two years.
(d) Three years.
3. John Dowell compares his relationship with Nancy Rufford to a vacation to which of the following cities:
(d) New York.
4. In the castle, what does Florence Dowell say to Captain Edward Ashburnham as she touches him?
(a) She tells Edward that he has Martin Luther to thank for all his virtues that separate him from the Protestants.
(b) She tells Edward that he has Martin Luther to thank for all his virtues that separate him from the French.
(c) She tells Edward that she is in love with him.
(d) She tells Edward that he has Martin Luther to thank for all his virtues that separate him from the Catholics.
5. Where is Florence Dowell's dead body discovered?
(a) In the bathhouse.
(b) In her bedroom.
(c) In the drawing room.
(d) In the kitchen.
6. What sort of man does Florence Dowell want to marry?
(a) A valiant military man.
(b) An educated Oxford professor.
(c) A wealthy Englishman.
(d) An intriguing world traveler.
7. Where does John Dowell go after Florence dies?
(a) He takes a vacation to France.
(b) He moves to London.
(c) He returns to the United States.
(d) He joins the military and goes to India.
8. Which disease does John Dowell suffer from?
(a) Heart disease.
(b) Mental illness.
(c) He suffers from no disease.
9. During Leonora Ashburnham's fight with a young woman at Nauheim, something gets stuck in the young woman's hair. Which object gets stuck in the woman's hair?
(a) Leonora's necklace.
(b) Lenora's wedding ring.
(c) Leonora's brooch.
(d) Leonora's bracelet.
10. Leonora Ashburnham goes to Maisie Maidan's room after the trip to the castle. What does she find there?
(a) Maisie Maidan and Captain Edward Ashburnham engaged in a passionate kiss.
(b) A suicide note.
(c) A letter addressed to her in Maisie Maidan's hand.
(d) A gold necklace.
11. Which best describes Captain Edward Ashburnham's reputation?
(a) He has a reputation for being an excellent tennis player.
(b) He has a reputation for being a good solider.
(c) He has a reputation for being a generous philanthropist.
(d) He has a reputation for being an avid reader.
12. After Florence Dowell dies, who does John Dowell want to marry?
(a) Nancy Rufford.
(b) Leonora Ashburnham.
(c) Maisie Maidan.
13. John Dowell can only recall one particular dress his wife Florence wore during their stay at Nauheim. What color is this dress?
14. In which country are the Ashburnhams from?
15. What is the nature of Captain Edward Ashburnham's relationship to Maisie Maidan?
(a) She is his mistress.
(b) She is a long-lost relative.
(c) She is his servant.
(d) She is a family friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the first chapter, it's revealed that which of these two characters are having an affair?
2. How long after Florence Dowell dies does John Dowell begin to consider a possible second marriage?
3. On the night of the Dowell's engagement, how does John Dowell get into Florence's bedroom?
4. Who breaks the object Florence Dowell asks her husband to hold?
5. Why does Captain Edward Ashburnham receive a decoration from the military?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)