|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does John Dowell go after Florence dies?
(a) He returns to the United States.
(b) He takes a vacation to France.
(c) He joins the military and goes to India.
(d) He moves to London.
2. In the first chapter, the narrator compares the institution of marriage to what?
(a) A runaway train and an enduring flame.
(b) A red rose.
(c) A rotten apple and a prison.
(d) A ball and chain.
3. In the Ashburnham marriage, Leonora Ashburnham makes it her personal duty to do which of the following:
(a) To turn Captain Edward Ashburnham into a faithful husband.
(b) To turn Captain Edward Ashburnham into a hardworking man.
(c) To convert Captain Edward Ashburnham to Protestantism.
(d) To convert Captain Edward Ashburnham to Catholicism.
4. What is Nancy Rufford's relationship to Leonora Ashburnham?
(a) Nancy is Leonora's governess.
(b) Nancy is Leonora's maid.
(c) Nancy is Leonora's ward.
(d) Nancy is Leonora's cousin.
5. What is John Dowell's nickname for Captain Edward Ashburnham?
(d) Captain Ed.
6. When the Dowells and the Ashburnhams visit the castle, what mode of transportation do they use?
(a) They go to the castle by horse and carriage.
(b) They walk to the castle.
(c) They go to the castle by automobile.
(d) They go to the castle by train.
7. In Part 2, Chapter 2, John Dowell compares Leonora Ashburnham to which of the following animals:
(a) A long-necked giraffe.
(b) A precocious filly.
(c) A baby goat.
(d) A musky lioness.
8. What color is the dress Nancy Rufford wears on the night of Florence Dowell's death?
9. In which country do the Dowells live?
10. When John Dowell first meets Captain Edward Ashburnham, John finds Edward to be what?
(a) Obnoxious and crass.
(b) Nervous and excitable.
(c) Sentimental and charismatic.
(d) Quiet and sickly.
11. What reason does John Dowell give to explain his wife's infidelity?
(a) He believes his wife could not resist Captain Edward Ashburnham's good looks.
(b) He believes his wife's infidelity was due to her lack of religion.
(c) He believes his wife went through a crisis after being diagnosed with her sickness.
(d) He believes his wife was an American who got caught up in European intrigue.
12. Which best describes Captain Edward Ashburnham's reputation?
(a) He has a reputation for being an avid reader.
(b) He has a reputation for being a good solider.
(c) He has a reputation for being a generous philanthropist.
(d) He has a reputation for being an excellent tennis player.
13. On the night of Florence Dowell's death, what does Captain Edward Ashburnham tell Nancy Rufford?
(a) That he has reconciled with his wife.
(b) That she, Nancy, is the person for whom he cares most in the world.
(c) That Florence Dowell is the person for whom he cares most in the world.
(d) That he murdered Florence Dowell.
14. What time of day is it when John Dowell first hears of his wife's affair with Captain Edward Ashburnham?
15. Which of the following best describes John Dowell's character as a husband?
(a) He is extremely sensitive and his feelings are easily hurt.
(b) He is frigid and sometimes has a violent temper.
(c) He is romantic, suave, and debonair.
(d) He is affectionate, loving, and warm.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Florence Dowell's aunts react when John Dowell tells them he wants to marry Florence?
2. What is Nauheim ?
3. In the first chapter, it's revealed that which of these two characters are having an affair?
4. For what reason is Captain Edward Ashburnham almost imprisoned?
5. In the castle, when Florence Dowell touches Captain Edward Ashburnham, what is Leonora Ashburnham's reaction?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)