|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Captain Edward Ashburnham do while he is in Monte Carlo?
(a) He purchased an estate.
(b) He sought medical treatment.
(c) He had an affair with the daughter of an admiral.
(d) He gambled away an enormous amount of money.
2. What disease causes the death of Florence Dowell's uncle?
(b) Heart disease.
3. In the first chapter, it's revealed that which of these two characters are having an affair?
(a) Florence Dowell and Leonora Ashburnham.
(b) None of these characters are having an affair.
(c) John Dowell and Leonora Ashburnham.
(d) Florence Dowell and Captain Edward Ashburnham.
4. After looking back on all the events that occurred during his marriage, how does John Dowell feel about his wife Florence?
(a) He hates her.
(b) He feels sorry for her.
(c) He feels indifferent about her.
(d) He still loves her.
5. When does Captain Edward Ashburnham's disease begin?
(a) He has had the disease since birth.
(b) He acquired the disease while participating in athletics during his youth.
(c) He acquired the disease during puberty.
(d) He acquired the disease during a sea journey to Europe on his honeymoon.
6. For what reason is Captain Edward Ashburnham almost imprisoned?
(a) For his failure to pay his debts.
(b) For his failure to adhere to the teachings of the Catholic church.
(c) For kissing a servant girl on a train.
(d) For his willingness to commit adulterous affairs.
7. How does Captain Edward Ashburnham react toward Maisie Maidan's death?
(a) Although inwardly he is mourning her death, he puts on a brave face and acts stoically.
(b) He goes to his room and cries for days.
(c) He shows little remorse--it doesn't seem to faze him.
(d) It startles him and gives him a newfound respect for the fragility of life.
8. Which decoration does Captain Edward Ashburnham receive from the military?
(a) The Victoria Cross.
(b) The Conspicuous Gallantry Cross.
(c) The Meritorious Service Medal.
(d) The Distinguished Service Order.
9. Where do the Ashburnhams first meet Maisie Maidan?
(a) On a train to Germany.
(b) In England.
(c) At Nauheim.
(d) In India.
10. Which best describes Captain Edward Ashburnham's reputation?
(a) He has a reputation for being an excellent tennis player.
(b) He has a reputation for being a good solider.
(c) He has a reputation for being a generous philanthropist.
(d) He has a reputation for being an avid reader.
11. Which words best describe the character of Florence Dowell's uncle?
(a) Generous, industrious, and eccentric.
(b) Prudish, judgmental, and haughty.
(c) Soft-spoken, demure, and intelligent.
(d) Mean-spirited, selfish, and lazy.
12. What is the nature of Captain Edward Ashburnham's relationship to Maisie Maidan?
(a) She is a family friend.
(b) She is his mistress.
(c) She is his servant.
(d) She is a long-lost relative.
13. Whenever Florence Dowell hears that a woman is visiting the Ashburnhams in England, what does she do?
(a) She takes the first train to the Ashburnham's estate.
(b) She threatens to kill herself.
(c) She sends a threatening letter to the woman who will be visiting the Ashburnhams.
(d) She sends Captain Edward Ashburnham a telegram.
14. In the castle, what does Florence Dowell say to Captain Edward Ashburnham as she touches him?
(a) She tells Edward that she is in love with him.
(b) She tells Edward that he has Martin Luther to thank for all his virtues that separate him from the Catholics.
(c) She tells Edward that he has Martin Luther to thank for all his virtues that separate him from the Protestants.
(d) She tells Edward that he has Martin Luther to thank for all his virtues that separate him from the French.
15. Which character discovers Florence Dowell's dead body?
(a) Captain Edward Ashburnham.
(b) Leonora Ashburnham.
(c) Nancy Rufford.
(d) John Dowell.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Leonora Ashburnham, how does Florence Dowell die?
2. What is the first name of Florence's uncle?
3. How many years of "uninterrupted tranquility" transpire between the Ashburnhams and the Dowells?
4. What is the date of Florence Dowell's death?
5. Why is John Dowell drawn to Leonora Ashburnham?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)