|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 5 it's revealed that Captain Edward Ashburnham had resigned from his military commission. For what reason does he resign?
(a) He resigned because he was accused of harassing a young matron.
(b) He resigned in order to restore the honor of a young matron with whom he had an affair.
(c) He resigned in order to escape a young matron who was in love with him.
(d) He resigned in order to follow and court a young matron.
2. Who tells John Dowell that his wife and Captain Edward Ashburnham have been having an affair?
(a) Nancy Rufford.
(b) Captain Edward Ashburnham.
(d) Leonora Ashburnham.
3. What reason does John Dowell give to explain his wife's infidelity?
(a) He believes his wife went through a crisis after being diagnosed with her sickness.
(b) He believes his wife was an American who got caught up in European intrigue.
(c) He believes his wife's infidelity was due to her lack of religion.
(d) He believes his wife could not resist Captain Edward Ashburnham's good looks.
4. In which country are the Ashburnhams from?
5. Which of the following best describes John Dowell's character as a husband?
(a) He is extremely sensitive and his feelings are easily hurt.
(b) He is frigid and sometimes has a violent temper.
(c) He is affectionate, loving, and warm.
(d) He is romantic, suave, and debonair.
6. Which disease does John Dowell suffer from?
(a) He suffers from no disease.
(b) Heart disease.
(c) Mental illness.
7. When does Florence Dowell's disease begin?
(a) She acquired the disease during a sea journey to Europe on her honeymoon.
(b) She has had the disease since birth.
(c) She acquired the disease while participating in athletics during her youth.
(d) She acquired the disease during puberty .
8. Which character is a devout Irish Catholic ?
(a) John Dowell.
(b) Florence Dowell.
(c) Leonora Ashburnham.
(d) Captain Edward Ashburnham.
9. In Chapter 3, when the Ashburnhams are seated for dinner, what do they say to their waiter?
(a) That thier table is unsatisfactory and they would like to be moved.
(b) They make a comment on the quality of the waiter's service.
(c) They ask the waiter whether he would like to join them later for cocktails.
(d) They make a comment on the weather.
10. What is the name of the woman who Captain Edward Ashburnham meets in India?
(a) Marion Maiden.
(b) Marybeth Maiden.
(c) Mabel Maiden.
(d) Maisie Maidan.
11. How long after Florence Dowell dies does John Dowell begin to consider a possible second marriage?
(a) One year.
(b) Two years.
(c) One day.
(d) Two hours.
12. In Monte Carlo, what does Captain Edward Ashburnham purchase from a woman?
(b) Sexual Favors.
(c) An Arabian horse.
(d) Her silence.
13. Where is John Dowell when he first hears of his wife's affair with Captain Edward Ashburnham?
(a) At Nauheim.
(b) Home in the United States.
(c) At the Branshaw Manor.
(d) In the castle.
14. In Chapter 5, what does Leonora Ashburnham discover about Captain Edward Ashburnham?
(a) That Edward is converting to Catholicism.
(b) That Edward has contracted syphilis.
(c) That Edward is being blackmailed over an affair.
(d) That Edward has fathered the child of another woman.
15. How does Maisie Maidan die?
(a) She dies from childbirth.
(b) She dies from heart failure.
(c) She was murdered.
(d) She committed suicide.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John Dowell say it feels like to be a "deceived husband"?
2. Which character discovers Florence Dowell's dead body?
3. What does Leonora Ashburnham do to the young woman whom she sees leaving Captain Edward Ashburnham's room at Nauheim?
4. During the trip to the castle, Florence Dowell makes it her goal to do which of the following:
5. On the night of Florence Dowell's death, which two characters attend a concert?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)