|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3, Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Captain Edward Ashburnham react toward Maisie Maidan's death?
(a) He shows little remorse--it doesn't seem to faze him.
(b) Although inwardly he is mourning her death, he puts on a brave face and acts stoically.
(c) It startles him and gives him a newfound respect for the fragility of life.
(d) He goes to his room and cries for days.
2. Which disease does John Dowell suffer from?
(a) Heart disease.
(b) He suffers from no disease.
(c) Mental illness.
3. In the Ashburnham marriage, Leonora Ashburnham makes it her personal duty to do which of the following:
(a) To turn Captain Edward Ashburnham into a faithful husband.
(b) To convert Captain Edward Ashburnham to Protestantism.
(c) To turn Captain Edward Ashburnham into a hardworking man.
(d) To convert Captain Edward Ashburnham to Catholicism.
4. Where do the Ashburnhams first meet Maisie Maidan?
(a) In England.
(b) In India.
(c) On a train to Germany.
(d) At Nauheim.
5. What term does John Dowell use to refer to the ambiguous character introduced in Chapter 2?
(a) He refers to her as "the girl."
(b) He refers to him as "the boy."
(c) He refers to him as "the gentleman."
(d) He refers to her as "the governess."
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the narrator of The Good Solider ?
2. Where is John Dowell when he first hears of his wife's affair with Captain Edward Ashburnham?
3. What is Nauheim ?
4. How long after Florence Dowell dies does John Dowell begin to consider a possible second marriage?
5. When does Captain Edward Ashburnham's disease begin?
This section contains 340 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)