Part 1, Chapter 1
• John Dowell, the narrator of The Good Soldier, introduces his wife, Florence Dowell and his friends Captain Edward Ashburnham and Leonora Ashburnham.
• John reveals that, during the nine years of his friendship with the Ashburnhams, his wife Florence had been having an affair with Edward Ashburnham.
• John describes how he and Florence first met the Ashburnhams at a health spa in Nauheim. Both Florence and Edward had been seeking treatment for heart conditions.
• The affair between Florence and Edward begins at Nauheim. Edward is a repeated adulterer and Leonora is aware of every affair he's had, including his affair with Florence.
• For nine years John is unaware of Florence's affair with Edward. John, at present, wonders how Florence could have conducted an affair without his knowing.
Part 1, Chapter 2
• John and Florence Dowell spend twelve years traveling. During these twelve years John acts as Florence's nurse.
This section contains 1,987 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)