|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was one problem with the police in the post Civil War era?
2. According to Bettmann in "Education," what was the pitiful education for blacks due to?
3. What was a chief problem of the lower decks of an ocean liner?
4. What was blamed for the cholera epidemic in 1832?
5. In 1890, how many prostitutes were estimated to be living in New York City?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was milk treated for consumers when it has been contaminated or spoiled?
2. How did city politicians add to the crime problem?
3. How did alcohol affect families on the frontier?
4. In the late 19th century, how did city doctors often do more harm than good to their patients?
5. What teaching methods were emphasized by many teachers in the late 1800s?
6. What type of education did blacks receive during the post Civil War era?
7. Why were many young men suspicious of and disrespectful of the law in the post Civil War era?
8. What were doctors on the frontier like, and what were the primary diseases that ravaged the country populations?
9. What was the extent of the prostitution industry in New York City in the late 19th century?
10. In the late 1800s, what was the most effective way to fight diseases coming to America by ship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the diet of the frontiersmen with the city dweller's diet in the late 19th century. Was one worse than the other? Provide examples to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Air pollution was poorly understood in the time after the Civil War. Discuss what some popular misconceptions were about air pollution, and contrast those with the realities and dangers of air pollution.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the many ways that milk was adulterated for profit in the late 1800s. What was "swill milk"? How does it make you feel about buying milk today?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)