|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What characterized American eating habits in the post Civil War era?
2. How did people know when a ship in the late 19th century was infected with disease?
3. How did the teachers in the late 1800s fight the lack of discipline with the students?
4. How were medical advances defined during the Victorian period?
5. What was the primary cause of surgical deaths after the Civil War?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why didn't people turn to vegetables given the state of the meat industry?
2. What was the extent of the prostitution industry in New York City in the late 19th century?
3. In the late 1800s, why were the police not much help in the fight against crime?
4. In the late 19th century, how did the lack of a meat-packing industry affect the quality of meat that was available to the general public?
5. What were the ventilation problems associated with train travel in the late 19th century?
6. In the late 1800s, what was the most effective way to fight diseases coming to America by ship?
7. After the Civil War, how effective were the hospitals at helping the sick and infirm?
8. How were criminals treated in the prisons in the late 1800s?
9. How did teachers fight the lack of discipline in the schoolroom in the late 1800s?
10. What type of education did blacks receive during the post Civil War era?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the addition of the railways to the American cities in the late 1800s. How did the railways hurt or help the traffic problems? Do you think the problems caused by the railroads were outweighed by the benefits? Cite examples from the book to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how the labor force was treated or thought of by the rich industrialists in the post Civil War era. Were they valued as people with needs, families, etc., or treated differently? Provide examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contract the housing options of apartments and tenements for someone in the late 19th century. Was one safer than the other? Was one more desirable than the other?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)