|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was one common agonizing disease that continued to break out in the South after the Civil War?
2. What were three diseases that ravaged country populations in the post Civil War era?
3. The diet of the average American in the late 19th century was:
4. In the cities in the late 1800s, what did the public health officials do to help stop disease?
5. What other problems did city schools face in the post Civil War era?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the late 19th century, how did city doctors often do more harm than good to their patients?
2. Why were the some ocean liners nicknamed "fever ships" and "floating coffins"?
3. In the late 1800s, what was the most effective way to fight diseases coming to America by ship?
4. What was "bogus butter"?
5. Why were many young men suspicious of and disrespectful of the law in the post Civil War era?
6. How did city politicians add to the crime problem?
7. What teaching methods were emphasized by many teachers in the late 1800s?
8. How did the lack of medical advances affect the population of the post Civil War era?
9. In the late 1800s, why were the police not much help in the fight against crime?
10. What type of education did blacks receive during the post Civil War era?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Traffic was a huge problem in the large American city in the late 19th century. Discuss some of the ways that cities tried to help the situation, and whether those solutions helped or hurt the traffic problem. Cite examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contract the housing options of apartments and tenements for someone in the late 19th century. Was one safer than the other? Was one more desirable than the other?
Essay Topic 3
Explain why child labor in the late 19th century was so popular. Why did employers like to employ children? Were children given special consideration by employees? How did many parents feel about their children working at such an early age? What types of jobs were popular for children?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)