|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Bettmann in "Education," children from different villages in the same classroom invariably led to what?
2. What was "swill" milk?
3. Education in the rural setting in the late 19th century was considered to be:
4. How did prostitution rings prosper in New York in the late 1800s?
5. In the cities in the late 1800s, what did the public health officials do to help stop disease?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were some of the characteristics of the one-room schoolhouses on the prairie?
2. Why didn't people turn to vegetables given the state of the meat industry?
3. What were doctors on the frontier like, and what were the primary diseases that ravaged the country populations?
4. What was "bogus butter"?
5. In the late 1800s, why were the police not much help in the fight against crime?
6. What type of education did blacks receive during the post Civil War era?
7. Why were many young men suspicious of and disrespectful of the law in the post Civil War era?
8. What teaching methods were emphasized by many teachers in the late 1800s?
9. How was milk treated for consumers when it has been contaminated or spoiled?
10. How did the lack of medical advances affect the population of the post Civil War era?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Traffic was a huge problem in the large American city in the late 19th century. Discuss some of the ways that cities tried to help the situation, and whether those solutions helped or hurt the traffic problem. Cite examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the medical training that doctors received in the post Civil War era. What is a "diploma-mill" school? Who profited from such institutions? Contrast those schools with the medical schools of today.
Essay Topic 3
Is education a right or a privilege? Or both? Provide examples to support your position.
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)