|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Bettmann in "Housing," where did poorer residents end up who could not afford tenements?
2. In the era after the Civil War, what was the most dangerous sweatshop activity?
3. According to Bettmann in the chapter "Air," what did some people think air pollution was a good sign of?
4. What was a common difficulty for frontiersmen after the Civil War?
5. How did the electric trolley car create even bigger traffic problems for cities?
Short Essay Questions
1. What caused the local wells on the frontier to become contaminated?
2. How did landlords take unfair advantage of their tenants in the late 19th century?
3. Which animals were a big contribution to air pollution in large cities like New York in the late 19th century?
4. Why was child labor so common in the late 1800s?
5. How did winter pose a health hazard on the frontier?
6. What was New York's shantytown, and who lived there in the late 19th century?
7. What two things negatively effected the mental health of homesteaders?
8. How did many farmers on the frontier become financially in debt?
9. Was the fare for streetcars affordable to the working-class?
10. In the era after the Civil War, what was a major cause of the hideous traffic problems in the large American cities like New York?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Large cities (like New York) were inundated with trash in the late 1800s. Why was there so much trash in public places? What weather factors exacerbated the problem of the rotting trash and putrid stench? Particularly, how were the poor affected by these circumstances?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast classroom discipline of the late 1800s with classroom discipline of today. How do/did teachers control their students?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the medical training that doctors received in the post Civil War era. What is a "diploma-mill" school? Who profited from such institutions? Contrast those schools with the medical schools of today.
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)