|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Bettmann in "Rural Life," why would many young girls leave the country for the promise of the city?
2. Just like their male counterparts, frontier women after the Civil War endured:
3. What hours did Steward demand his employees work?
4. According to Bettmann, what percentage of New Yorkers lived in the slums between 1868 and 1875?
5. What was the biggest safety threat in the vertical apartments in the late 1800s?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did winter pose a health hazard on the frontier?
2. How did many farmers on the frontier become financially in debt?
3. What two things negatively effected the mental health of homesteaders?
4. What was New York's shantytown, and who lived there in the late 19th century?
5. What made the popular brownstone a stuffy and hazardous place to live for it's occupants?
6. Who constructed the first apartment building, and why was it created?
7. In the late 1800s, were strikes an effective way to handle grievances by workers?
8. According to Bettman in "Air," how did the lack of a sanitation department contribute to the problem of filth and stench in the cities?
9. How did the apartments of the late 1800s often turn into death traps for its occupants?
10. Which animals were a big contribution to air pollution in large cities like New York in the late 19th century?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did fear and the relative lawlessness of the open prairie play into the minds of homesteaders? What were some of the threats that homesteaders had to worry about?
Essay Topic 2
Is education a right or a privilege? Or both? Provide examples to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the medical training that doctors received in the post Civil War era. What is a "diploma-mill" school? Who profited from such institutions? Contrast those schools with the medical schools of today.
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)