|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the railroads came to a town after the Civil War, where were they placed?
2. Who was A.T. Stewart?
3. Besides the lung irritation, vomiting, and sickness, what other ailment was common to those exposed to air pollution in the late 1800s?
4. Where were the first apartments constructed?
5. What was a major contributor to the contamination and disease in the wells in the late 19th century?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Bettmann in "Work," where were the most dangerous places to work in the cities?
2. What were some of the toxic inhalants many industrial workers had to endure in the post Civil War era?
3. What made the popular brownstone a stuffy and hazardous place to live for it's occupants?
4. What two things negatively effected the mental health of homesteaders?
5. What were some of the back-breaking laborious chores that frontier women had to endure?
6. What was New York's shantytown, and who lived there in the late 19th century?
7. What was pollution misunderstood to be in the time after the Civil War?
8. How did the apartments of the late 1800s often turn into death traps for its occupants?
9. How did many farmers on the frontier become financially in debt?
10. How does author Otto Bettman attempt to shatter the misconception of this era, and what is the result?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is education a right or a privilege? Or both? Provide examples to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Explain why child labor in the late 19th century was so popular. Why did employers like to employ children? Were children given special consideration by employees? How did many parents feel about their children working at such an early age? What types of jobs were popular for children?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the tactics used by the police in the form of "protection" or "non-harassment" fees in the late 1800s to tactics later used by the organized mafia. Are they similar? Different? Provide examples.
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)