|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What danger did many industrial laborers face in the latter part of the 19th century?
(a) Lack of medical benefits.
(b) Toxic inhalants.
(c) Unsafe working equipment.
(d) Fire hazards.
2. In large cities in the late 1800s, what animals created massive amounts of pollution problems?
(a) Horses and chickens.
(b) Pigs and horses.
(c) Horses and cows.
(d) Chickens and pigs.
3. In what year was the El Train introduced?
4. What was a popular type of big city housing during the late 1800s?
(b) The suburbs.
(c) High-rise apartments.
(d) The brownstone.
5. After the Civil War, how did the isolation of the endless prairie affect many homesteaders?
(a) It led to several trips a year to the cities.
(b) It led to depression.
(c) It caused people to have large families.
(d) It caused people to live in groups.
Short Answer Questions
1. Author Otto Bettman wished to shatter the misconceptions of the late 19th century by:
2. According to Bettman in "Traffic," in what city was a record 330 crossing-grade deaths in one year?
3. Which industry featured the most brutal conditions for time and wages in the late 1800s?
4. Why did tenants in the late 1800s have such big problems when it came to housing in the big cities?
5. How many labor laws were there during the 19th century?
Short Essay Questions
1. What caused the local wells on the frontier to become contaminated?
2. What was the El Train, and what was it's purpose when it was introduced in 1868?
3. In the late 1800s, were strikes an effective way to handle grievances by workers?
4. How does author Otto Bettman attempt to shatter the misconception of this era, and what is the result?
5. How did the apartments of the late 1800s often turn into death traps for its occupants?
6. Was the fare for streetcars affordable to the working-class?
7. How did many young people in the late 1800s react to seeing the laborious life their parents led?
8. What was the area in New York that was the worst air pollution offender in the late 19th century?
9. How did the electric trolley car, which was built to improve the traffic situation, actually make the traffic problem worse?
10. Why was child labor so common in the late 1800s?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)