|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11, Leisure.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the Civil War, how did the isolation of the endless prairie affect many homesteaders?
(a) It led to depression.
(b) It caused people to have large families.
(c) It caused people to live in groups.
(d) It led to several trips a year to the cities.
2. Who controlled horse racing in the late 1800s?
(a) Crime syndicates.
(b) Federal government.
(c) Horsemen of America.
(d) City officials.
3. According to Bettmann, what was the homemade frontier liquor made from?
4. What work did an ancient stove require on the frontier?
(a) Maintaining the stovepipe.
(b) Constant feeding of wood.
(c) Scrubbing the inside of the stove.
(d) Use of hard to find coals.
5. Who managed the insane asylums of the late 1800s?
(a) Religious institutions.
(b) The state.
(c) Certified professionals.
(d) Prison guards.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Boss Tweed and Tammany Hall?
2. What was one effective way to fight disease carried by ships into New York Harbor?
3. In the late 1800s, why would a cop be encouraged to beat up a perpetrator?
4. According to Bettmann in "Rural Life," why would many young girls leave the country for the promise of the city?
5. In the late 19th century, how did families deal with members who had mental illnesses?
This section contains 319 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)