|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11, Leisure.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the late 1800s, who was it that posed a threat to those on the frontier and instilled a sense of fear?
(a) Train robbers.
(b) Cattle thieves.
(d) Tramps and various vagrants.
2. The diet of the average American in the late 19th century was:
(a) Mostly Italian.
(c) Highly varied.
(d) Far from healthful.
3. In the late 1800s, how were train passengers treated when traveling?
(a) The passenger's comfort was most important.
(b) Like luggage.
(c) With the utmost respect.
(d) Women were always given seats, whereas men often had to stand.
4. Why didn't urban children play on playgrounds in the late 19th century?
(a) Playground equipment was poor and outdated.
(b) There were no playgrounds.
(c) Playgrounds were dangerous places.
(d) Criminals had taken over playgrounds.
5. In the late 1800s, what disease affected the city dwellers as well as the frontier people?
(c) Mental illness.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the Civil War, how did the railroad monopoly hurt the rural farmers?
2. What was one problem with the police in the post Civil War era?
3. In the late 19th century, where was New York's shantytown?
4. Which industries were the most dangerous for workers after the Civil War?
5. What did Bettmann cite as the main reason for the traffic problems in the cities in the late 1800s?
This section contains 297 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)