|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8, Health.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was "swill" milk?
(a) Milk from goats.
(b) Milk that had gone bad.
(c) Milk that was used for medicinal purposes.
(d) Milk from cows that were fed waste.
2. In the late 1800s, why was street crime so rampant in the large cities at night?
(a) The were few alternatives to keep criminals off the streets.
(b) Streets were poorly lit.
(c) People were not careful and were easy targets.
(d) The police did not patrol at night.
3. The diet of the average American in the late 19th century was:
(a) Highly varied.
(b) Mostly Italian.
(d) Far from healthful.
4. According to Bettmann in "Housing," why did people keep their windows closed even in the heat of summer?
(a) To keep out the stench from the street.
(b) To protect themselves from intruders.
(c) For privacy.
(d) The windows didn't open.
5. When was opium introduced?
(a) As early as 1862.
(c) In the 1850s.
(d) As early as 1840.
Short Answer Questions
1. What characterized American eating habits in the post Civil War era?
2. Traffic in the large American cities in the late 1800s was:
3. In the late 19th century, how did families deal with members who had mental illnesses?
4. In the era after the Civil War, what was the most dangerous sweatshop activity?
5. What were three diseases that ravaged country populations in the post Civil War era?
This section contains 273 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)