|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8, Health.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Bettmann in "Food and Drink," the frontier diet was dominated by what single food?
2. On the frontier in the late 1800s, what was the homemade liquor called?
3. What was the original purpose of the El Train?
(a) To improve commute times.
(b) To replace the horse and cart.
(c) To show off new technology.
(d) To relieve massive overcrowding.
4. Surprisingly, who usually had no knowledge of health or medicine in the late 19th century?
(a) Emmigrants from Europe.
(b) Public health officials.
(c) Clinic doctors.
5. What was one problem with the police in the post Civil War era?
(a) They routinely ignored calls for help.
(b) The were poorly trained.
(c) They were too few in number.
(d) They had no uniforms.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did parents react to child labor in the late 1800s?
2. What was a common difficulty for frontiersmen after the Civil War?
3. In the time after the Civil War, air pollution was:
4. Why, does Bettmann explain, were pigs tolerated in the cities?
5. What area in New York City had an abundance of industrial factories in the early 19th century ?
This section contains 264 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)