|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, Work.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The weather was often an obstacle for what mode of transportation in the large cities after the Civil War?
(b) City Buses.
(c) Street cars.
2. According to Bettmann in "Housing," how did apartments turn into vertical versions of tenements?
(a) Cruel landlords.
(b) Shoddy construction practices.
(c) Noxious air indoors.
(d) Animals indoors were commonplace.
3. The air quality in homes was dangerous in the late 1800s because of:
(a) The smog would get trapped inside.
(b) Animals that were kept indoors.
(c) Sewer gas from primitive drainage systems.
(d) High temperatures from the heat outside.
4. According to Bettmann in "Housing," why did people keep their windows closed even in the heat of summer?
(a) The windows didn't open.
(b) For privacy.
(c) To keep out the stench from the street.
(d) To protect themselves from intruders.
5. What hours did Steward demand his employees work?
(a) 5:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
(b) 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
(c) 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
(d) 7:30 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Short Answer Questions
1. Wind as well as the heat of summer exacerbated what problem in the large cities after the Civil War?
2. According to Bettman in "Traffic," in what city was a record 330 crossing-grade deaths in one year?
3. To some, the time between the end of the Civil War and the early 1900s was known as what?
4. In the time after the Civil War, air pollution was:
5. According to Bettmann, what kind of wage did Stewart award his workers?
This section contains 293 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)