|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, Work.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was the El Train introduced?
(d) New York.
2. What did Bettmann cite as the main reason for the traffic problems in the cities in the late 1800s?
(a) Unpaved roads.
(b) Too many one-way streets.
(c) Unsynchronized traffic lights.
(d) Prevalence of the horse and cart.
3. What was the biggest safety threat in the vertical apartments in the late 1800s?
(a) Lead poisoning.
(d) Unsafe water.
4. To some, the time between the end of the Civil War and the early 1900s was known as what?
(a) "The Wild West Era."
(b) "Hard luck times."
(c) "The Good Old Days."
(d) "Post War Era."
5. According to Bettmann in "Housing," where did poorer residents end up who could not afford tenements?
(a) On the outskirts of the city.
(b) Sleeping at railway stations.
(c) Boarding homes.
(d) Homeless shelters.
Short Answer Questions
1. What percentage of farmers in the 1880s had to mortgage their land?
2. What danger did many industrial laborers face in the latter part of the 19th century?
3. What people took advantage of the tenants in the time after the Civil War?
4. Just like their male counterparts, frontier women after the Civil War endured:
5. In what year was the electric trolley car introduced?
This section contains 220 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)