|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9, Education.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the biggest safety threat in the vertical apartments in the late 1800s?
(a) Unsafe water.
(d) Lead poisoning.
2. What people took advantage of the tenants in the time after the Civil War?
(a) The immigrants.
(b) The landlords.
(c) The merchants.
(d) The police.
3. Prisons in the latter 19th century were regarded as places of:
4. The "protection" and "non-harassment" fees of the police in the late 19th century were a precursor to what later crime force?
(c) Street thugs.
(d) Drug lords.
5. According to Bettmann in "Education," children from different villages in the same classroom invariably led to what?
(a) Violence and fighting.
(b) Communication problems.
(c) Difficulty getting all the children attending at the same time.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Richard M. Hunt develop to help with overcrowding and the housing shortage?
2. How long did a typical rural school year last in the late 19th century?
3. In the late 1800s, why would a cop be encouraged to beat up a perpetrator?
4. What did teaching methods of the late 19th century emphasize?
5. How did the gun laws after the Civil War compound the problem?
This section contains 271 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)