|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kate hope to surprise Marton on the day of the fair?
2. What is the one thing Kate wishes she had at the farm?
3. Where does Kate teach her lessons?
4. What is a komp?
5. Who calls Marton the Good Master?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Mikulas?
2. What does Kate want Csaba to do?
3. How does Kate avoid being tied up by the gypsies when they want to kidnap her?
4. What do Jancsi and Kate ask Mikulas to do with what he brought them?
5. What does Kate hope will happen when her father visits?
6. How does Jancsi help Kate when she goes swimming?
7. What happens just after Mother tells the story about the rooster?
8. How does Kate get back home after the gypsies leave?
9. Why does Marton call the man who buys his horses a fool?
10. What does Jancsi do during the stampede?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Marton's relationship with Kate change over the course of the plot? What caused these changes, and what significance does this have to the outcome of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the plot of one of the Hungarian legends shared in this book, and give some reasons as to why this might have been seen as important enough to the author to include in the book.
Essay Topic 3
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the characters around them.
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)