|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Marton discuss Kate's growth with on the way to the fair?
2. Why does Marton not like the gypsies?
3. How does the rooster survive the fire?
4. How does Kate feel when she sees the sunrise on the day of the fair?
5. What do the children help the man dressed as Mikulas do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the big surprise Marton has for Mikulas Day?
2. Why does Marton call the man who buys his horses a fool?
3. Who is Mikulas?
4. What does Jancsi spend his money on at the fair?
5. What happens just after Mother tells the story about the rooster?
6. What do the gypsies steal from Marton's ranch?
7. Why does the Sultan let the rooster into the treasury?
8. Why does Arpad not want the children to help with the round-up?
9. What does Matyas learn that the truth to immortality is?
10. What ends up delaying the trip of the man dressed up as Mikulas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role did discipline play in this book, and how was this important theme presented by the author and the main characters?
Essay Topic 2
Sandor was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence - however brief - altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if he had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 3
How did Marton's relationship with Kate change over the course of the plot? What caused these changes, and what significance does this have to the outcome of the book?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)