|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who dresses up like an old woman in the mirage story?
2. Why is Jancsi so excited for Kate to come stay with him?
3. What bad attribute does the man in the mirage story have?
4. What do boys sprinkle on Easter?
5. Who does Kate spend most of her time on the ranch with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jancsi think of the train and why?
2. How do people at church respond to Kate on Easter?
3. How and why do the animals help the shepherd in the mirage story?
4. Why is Kate coming to live with Jancsi?
5. What gift does Pista give Kate, and why?
6. What does Kate spend most of the time on her ranch doing?
7. Why does Kate have to be carried inside the house after her first riding lesson with Jancsi?
8. How does Jancsi learn most of his ranching skills?
9. What is the first positive thing Jancsi hears from Kate?
10. What disappoints Jancsi when he goes to pick up Kate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sandor was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence - however brief - altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if he had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 2
Family Love was a very important theme and motivating factor in this book. Which characters were most affected by this theme? Which relationships were the most significant to the plot and why?
Essay Topic 3
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)