|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the man who buys Marton's horses call him?
(a) A master.
(b) A fool.
(c) A saint.
(d) A thief.
2. Where do the kids see the man dressed as Mikulas?
(a) The church.
(b) The train station.
(c) The barn.
(d) The homestead.
3. How does the rooster escape the well?
(a) He drinks the water.
(b) He floats on the water.
(c) He clings to the edge.
(d) He pecks up the rope.
4. What does Marton give Kate when he sees his surprise on the day of the fair?
(a) A silver piece.
(b) A dollar bill.
(c) A new saddle.
(d) A gold piece.
5. How many pigs do the gypsies steal?
6. How does Jancsi spend his money at the fair?
(a) He gets a song for his mother.
(b) He gets his father some gloves.
(c) He buys a cake for the family.
(d) He buys a new shirt.
7. What do the children help the man dressed as Mikulas do?
(a) Scare some children.
(b) Drop off presents.
(c) Say prayers.
(d) Sing hymns.
8. How many chickens does Marton offer the gypsies?
9. What story does Arpad tell?
(a) The Dwarf's River Crossing.
(b) The Milky Way.
(c) The Merchant.
(d) The Greedy Fairy.
10. Who does Marton discuss Kate's growth with on the way to the fair?
11. What is the rooster doing when he finds the diamond?
(a) Traveling home.
(b) Running from an enemy.
(c) Dreaming of summer.
(d) Looking for food.
12. What does Kate tell Mikulas to do with what he has brought her?
(a) Save it for her sister.
(b) Keep it for himself.
(c) Send it to her father.
(d) Give it to another child.
13. Why is something scarce during the summer?
(a) There is little rain.
(b) The crops are bad.
(c) There was a fungus.
(d) There has been flooding.
14. What is the hay collected into?
15. What does Kate want to do as the crops mature?
(a) Plant a garden.
(b) Help with the harvest.
(c) Learn to milk a cow.
(d) Work on her embroidery.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the gypsies make?
2. What does Marton promise Kate he will do when her father visits?
3. What does Marton say will keep the man dressed as Mikulas at his house?
4. What earns Marton the name of the Good Master?
5. How does Jancsi feel about the man dressed as Mikulas?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)