|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year did the Nearings complete the stone outhouse in Maine?
2. How should greenhouses be connected to the existing building?
3. How did the Nearings harvest Chinese cabbage in the cold weather?
4. What was the one negative item about the pond?
5. How high did the blueberry plants get?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kinds of visitors did the Nearings have at their farms.
2. How did the Nearings can fruit?
3. What one regret did the authors have about the stone wall they had to build around the garden in Maine?
4. When the Nearings found a worn-out apple tree near the blueberries, how did they make it grow?
5. What caused the leaks in the pond?
6. How was building the pond an exercise in patience?
7. How did the Nearings lay out a garden?
8. How did Scott Nearing remove a large tree?
9. How were the Nearings gardens like Japanese gardens?
10. What was the Nearing's favorite tool?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the "four-four-four" formula for life. What is the final four in this formula? Why did the Nearings wait until the end of the book to reveal this formula? Is this formula the key to life for the Nearings?
Essay Topic 2
What was the outcome of the Nearings' constant appeal to neighbors to live like them, follow their food choices, and be open-minded about their political views?
Essay Topic 3
What, according the the Nearings, was bed gardening and how was it used by other countries?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)