|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the 1970s, how many visitors came to the farm in a year?
2. What, according to the Nearings, made a parsnip tasty?
3. How long could the Nearings harvest their fall garden?
4. What kind of roof was on the greenhouse?
5. What did the Nearings think was the downfall of most homesteaders?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the Nearings believe homesteaders should record everything?
2. How did the Nearings feel as they began to age about life?
3. Why, according to the Nearings, do most people want old buildings?
4. What point do the Nearings make about personal style in a home?
5. What kinds of visitors did the Nearings have at their farms.
6. How did the Nearings can fruit?
7. What were the Nearings thoughts on cold-weather planting?
8. What was the importance of Bretton Brubaker's work on the house in Maine?
9. Why did the Nearings NOT chose a location in Europe for either one of their moves?
10. How did the Nearings make applesauce?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How was the planting cycle used by the Nearings like the Japanese planting cycle? Why did the Japanese use gardens in a similar way to the Nearings?
Essay Topic 2
Why did the Nearings decide to build stone buildings? What were the advantages to this type of building? What were the disadvantage? How did they make the building? Write a short description.
Essay Topic 3
As others viewed life as meaningless and looked for forms of escape after the war, how did the Nearings view life? What did they mean by "urgent?"
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)