|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did all the pointing work on the house in Maine?
2. How long could the Nearings harvest their fall garden?
3. When did the Nearings use bagged commercial fertililzer commonly sold to farmers?
4. What percentage of the food they ate did the Nearings produce?
5. What kind of roof was on the greenhouse?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the Nearings decide to move from Vermont? What had happened to the community they had lived in for 20 years?
2. How was building the pond an exercise in patience?
3. How did Scott Nearing remove a large tree?
4. In what ways did the Nearings use wood from the forest?
5. What did the Nearings continue to find on the farm?
6. What was the Nearings' attitudes toward doctors?
7. To bring the point home to her husband about the increasing number of visitors, how did Helen handle visitors who came to the door just before the move to Maine?
8. Why did the Nearings believe homesteaders should record everything?
9. Describe the house in Maine.
10. According to the Nearings, what makes a successful enterprise?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the outcome of the Nearings' constant appeal to neighbors to live like them, follow their food choices, and be open-minded about their political views?
Essay Topic 2
How was the farm in Vermont different from the farm in Maine? How were they the same?
Essay Topic 3
What was the importance of year-round farming to the Nearings, and how did they handle canning and storing their food?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)