|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did all the hand hewing of the timbers for the new house in Maine?
2. How did the Nearings eat their bread?
3. What did the Nearings build their greenhouses out of?
4. What are cloches?
5. What, according to the Nearings, did frogs like?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways did the Nearings use wood from the forest?
2. What were the Nearings thoughts on cold-weather planting?
3. Why did the Nearings build their first greenhouse?
4. How did the Nearings make applesauce?
5. When the Nearings visited a farm in Holland, how did the family use compost piles?
6. What changed in the attitudes of the community in Vermont during and after WWII?
7. According to the Nearings, what makes a successful enterprise?
8. How did the Nearings lay out a garden?
9. Why did the Nearings NOT chose a location in Europe for either one of their moves?
10. How was the homestead in Maine to be different than the one in Vermont? What were the Nearings looking for when they began their search for a new home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As others viewed life as meaningless and looked for forms of escape after the war, how did the Nearings view life? What did they mean by "urgent?"
Essay Topic 2
Why did the Nearings leave New York? What was the political climate in 1932? What was happening in the nation? What did the Nearings do before they moved to Vermont?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the "four-four-four" formula for life. What is the final four in this formula? Why did the Nearings wait until the end of the book to reveal this formula? Is this formula the key to life for the Nearings?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)