|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the relationship between the Nearings and law enforcement?
2. In the breakdown of the Nearing's diet, how was the intake of vegetables broken down?
3. What political persuasion were most Vermonters?
4. How long had Jacklight foot lived in the valley?
5. What was 7 miles from the farm in Vermont?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the issue of serving liquor at community events affect the valley in Vermont?
2. How much time did it take for the Nearings to provide food for the year, furnish their house and fuel, and provide needed repairs on the farm? What were the positive outcomes of their system?
3. What, according to the Nearings, was the value of compost and mulch?
4. When others thought the Nearings were self-punishing, how did they view their life?
5. What were the Nearings' views regarding the roof of structures? What material did they end up using in Vermont?
6. What was the Nearings' views of an hourly wage?
7. What kind of visitors came to stay at the farm? Who were successful, and who were not and why?
8. What, according to the authors, is the best part of building a building?
9. Who was this book written for?
10. How did the Nearings decide to make maple syrup as their cash crop? How did this decision surprise them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the importance of year-round farming to the Nearings, and how did they handle canning and storing their food?
Essay Topic 2
Why did the Nearings decide to build stone buildings? What were the advantages to this type of building? What were the disadvantage? How did they make the building? Write a short description.
Essay Topic 3
What, according the the Nearings, was bed gardening and how was it used by other countries?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)