|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did M.B. Kains recommend that farmers serve to their guests when they came for Sunday dinner?
2. Whose building system did the Nearings follow when building their stone system?
3. What did the Nearings eat for breakfast?
4. What two farms did the Nearings buy when they got to Vermont?
5. What was inserted into the compost pile to help break down matter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the Nearings' view of keeping animals? How far did this belief system go?
2. How did the issue of serving liquor at community events affect the valley in Vermont?
3. How did the Nearings decorate? What kind of furniture and fireplaces did they use?
4. What were the Nearings' views regarding the roof of structures? What material did they end up using in Vermont?
5. How much time did it take for the Nearings to provide food for the year, furnish their house and fuel, and provide needed repairs on the farm? What were the positive outcomes of their system?
6. What, according to the Nearings, was the value of compost and mulch?
7. Describe how the Nearings made fruit juice as a simple process.
8. Why did cooperative living fail in the valley for the Nearings?
9. How did the Nearings trade work with their neighbors? What example can you give?
10. What were Frank Lloyd Wright's basic ideas for building that the Nearings followed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What were "cash crops" and what was bread labor? Were they the same? Where they different things? At the farm in Vermont, what was the cash crop?
Essay Topic 2
Why did the Nearings leave New York? What was the political climate in 1932? What was happening in the nation? What did the Nearings do before they moved to Vermont?
Essay Topic 3
How important was documentation? How did the Nearings document their farming experiment?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)