|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What, according to the Nearings, do white flour products do to a person's health?
2. According to the author, who defined the "small community"?
3. How much did the Nearings pay for the hand concrete mixer?
4. In Vermont, what did the Nearings NOT use to keep food cold?
5. When building the new stone house in Vermont, what did the Nearings include?
Short Essay Questions
1. What made the Vermont community shrink even as the Nearings lived there?
2. What was the Nearings' views of an hourly wage?
3. Why did cooperative living fail in the valley for the Nearings?
4. What were Frank Lloyd Wright's basic ideas for building that the Nearings followed?
5. What about the Nearings baffled the neighbors the most?
6. What, according to the Nearings, was the value of compost and mulch?
7. What was the Nearings' view about old buildings? What was their solution to old buildings?
8. How did the Nearings pick the lettuce in the winter to keep it from wilting?
9. What is a whole food? How did the Nearings describe a whole food?
10. How much time did it take for the Nearings to provide food for the year, furnish their house and fuel, and provide needed repairs on the farm? What were the positive outcomes of their system?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How was the planting cycle used by the Nearings like the Japanese planting cycle? Why did the Japanese use gardens in a similar way to the Nearings?
Essay Topic 2
At the end, the Nearings thought they had only "scratched life's surface." What did they mean by that?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the general workday. How did the Nearings work? How many hours were devoted to work and how many to leisure? Why did they set up their farm in this way? What were the benefits? What were the drawbacks?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)